Advice/Suggestions Please - Where to Start in Japan other than Tokyo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice/Suggestions Please - Where to Start in Japan other than Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I see mosburger's point. I think that will be a very efficient way of going around and getting things done. But if you like train trips like I do, JR Pass is also not a bad deal. Anyway, to answer your questions...

Originally Posted by LLZ
...does this mean (what I'm thinking it means) there are NO green cars whatsoever on JR lines, between Tokyo and Hakata?
Tokyo-Hakata(Tokaido-Sanyo) line has Nozomi, Hikari, & Kodama. Kodama is the slowest one that stops at almost 'every' stations. Maybe this you won't be using much. Hikari is the one JR Pass is valid for, but no Green cars. Nozomi does have green cars. But there are only 1 more difference between Hikari & Nozomi besides the Green Car issue. Nozomi is barely about 5~10% faster (a bit fewer stops) than Hikari. Overall Hikari is not too different from Nozomi in quality or speed.

Originally Posted by LLZ
If that's the case, I guess the Green Car pass would kinda be a waste of money then..??
That depends. If you are planning to travel only on Tokyo-Hakata(Tokaido-Sanyo) Shinkansen Line during your entire trip, yes I would think buying a Green JR Pass absolutely is a waste of extra 9500Yen. However if you are using other shinkansen lines or regional trains throughout Japan, IMO green IS a good deal.

Originally Posted by LLZ
There is is alo this note on my map and other literature reminding me that Japan Rail Pass is not valid for any reserved or nonreserved NOZOMI trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen lines. Lemme guess, these trains do have Green Cars?
True, JR Pass is not valid for Tokaido-Sanyo Nozomi. And Yes, Nozomi trains do have Green cars.

Originally Posted by LLZ
I wonder, if I really want Green Cars (which I think I do) if a Region pass (that's good for NOZOMI trains?) might work better, or just purchase the tics as I need them....???
Again that depends. But 90% of time 'purchase the tics as u need them' would cost you much more.

Let's put it this way.
On SNA-SFO-JFK, just because SNA-SFO runs only on ERD doesn't mean that you are going to give up F seat on SFO-JFK and fly Y all the way, right?
IMO, JR Pass still is a good deal if you do more than one-RT between Tokyo and Osaka during your Japan stay.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LLZ
Oh boy....now I'm thoroughly
I'd be happy to try to unconfuse you if you could be a bit more precise about the specific nature of your confusion.

I'll make one stab at it without prompting: There are several different regional companies (based on geography) that together make up JR: JR East, JR West, and so on. Most of them offer a pass good just on their part of the rail network that often has different terms and cost than the countrywide JR pass, which is good on all of them.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:30 am
LLZ
Original Poster

Thanks To Everyone For Your Continued Help

RichardInSF, I'm still too to even tell you what I was about....better I just skip that part, and ask another question!

I am currently thinking of flying into NRT, and instead of going to Tokyo, connecting to a flight (I think they have them from NRT) to Fukuoka and then backtracking for 4 days to Tokyo, where I'll finish my other 6 nights, and then depart NRT back to the U.S.

So, as to working my way back to Tokyo, it would be nice if one or two nights I could travel by train, saving on a room. See things during the day, travel at night. OTOH, even if I didn't travel at night, I still want it as comfortable as possible since I'll still be dealing with jet lag. Obviously, the JR Green Car Pass is not going to help me in this endeavor. The coach seat I rode in on my first and only Shinkansen train was fine for the 1.5 hrs or so it took...I would really not like that seat any longer than 3 hours!

As I understand it so far, to travel the way I would like, I need to buy regional Nozomi passes for the Sanyo and Tokaido Shinkansen lines, to ride in first class as I make my way back to Tokyo. Would it just make better economic sense to simply buy the tickets as I need them since I'll basically being going one-way, albeit with stops in between?

The other question I have is about the Nozomi trains and their first class. Is it similar to the JR lines that DO have first class? As I recall, the JR Green Car seats looked liked older version international FC seats, with the winged headrests, etc... Do they have legrests?

Also, the JR Green Cars evidently have private "cabin" seating which can be had for an additional charge....do the NOZOMI cars have this?

Obviously, I want to travel as comfortably as possible and, then, figure out how to do that for the least amount of money.

Oh, one more thing...approximately how long would Kyoto-Tokyo on a JR line take, as opposed to a NOZOMI, assuming that you got the fastest JR line, with the least stops? I know this is going to be very subjective but here goes: Is it possible I'm exagerrating the need for my first class in the first place?

Last edited by LLZ; Feb 21, 2005 at 8:41 am
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LLZ
So, as to working my way back to Tokyo, it would be nice if one or two nights I could travel by train, saving on a room. See things during the day, travel at night. OTOH, even if I didn't travel at night, I still want it as comfortable as possible since I'll still be dealing with jet lag.
You could do one night, but it would be kind of silly. One overnight train starting in Fukuoka would put you at least as far as Osaka, maybe even Nagoya. If you took the Shinkansen from Fukuoka, you'd be in Tokyo in under 6 hours. However, the idea of starting at one end and working your way back is a good one. I've done it myself, taking the 18 hour train ride from Tokyo to Nagasaki and then working my way back to Tokyo over about a week. In that case, the JR Railpass is a good idea.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LLZ
Oh, one more thing...approximately how long would Kyoto-Tokyo on a JR line take, as opposed to a NOZOMI, assuming that you got the fastest JR line, with the least stops? I know this is going to be very subjective but here goes: Is it possible I'm exagerrating the need for my first class in the first place?
Nozomi IS a JR train, it just makes fewer stops and costs extra for JR Railpass users. The trip via Nozomi from Kyoto to Tokyo is less than 2:30. Using Hikari, the next fastest shinkansen, the trip is still less than 3 hours.

JR
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Pickles
You could do one night, but it would be kind of silly. One overnight train starting in Fukuoka would put you at least as far as Osaka, maybe even Nagoya. If you took the Shinkansen from Fukuoka, you'd be in Tokyo in under 6 hours. However, the idea of starting at one end and working your way back is a good one. I've done it myself, taking the 18 hour train ride from Tokyo to Nagasaki and then working my way back to Tokyo over about a week. In that case, the JR Railpass is a good idea.
Let's not forget that Japan is a maritime nation. From Fukuoka, the famous Spa towns of Oita/Beppu are less than three hours by JR limited express. And it's possible to catch overnight ferries from both to f.ex Osaka or Kobe. Should be some 12-13 hours trip by boat. Or if you want to include Hiroshima in your itinerary you can take a ferry from Beppu in about three hours. Would still leave room to experience the Nozomi between Hiroshima - Osaka and/or Osaka/Kyoto - Yokohama/Tokyo.

Otherwise, it's possible to stay in clean and comfortable business hotels for about 7-10.000 yen per night almost everywhere apart from certain parts of Tokyo.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:44 pm

You can also ship luggage from hotel to hotel, or airport to airport using any of the services, or the hotel can arrange for it. Very convenient!! I've even arrived at my hotel and the luggage was already in my room.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:24 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Thanks Pickles...I just shored up reservations today and will be doing the following: SFO-NRT, then 6 nights in Tokyo...then I have five days/nights to travel westbound, and finally catch JL in Fukuoka to NRT, then NRT-ORD.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:26 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Nozomi IS a JR train, it just makes fewer stops and costs extra for JR Railpass users. The trip via Nozomi from Kyoto to Tokyo is less than 2:30. Using Hikari, the next fastest shinkansen, the trip is still less than 3 hours.

JR
abjm-jr when you say there is a surcharge, is it just an additional amount, or do you have to pay the full ticket price to ride the Nozomi...the latter was my impression based on what I've read.

If that's not so, can you give some guidance on how much additional the charge is and/or links on the JR site(s)? Thanks!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:29 pm
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Let's not forget that Japan is a maritime nation. From Fukuoka, the famous Spa towns of Oita/Beppu are less than three hours by JR limited express. And it's possible to catch overnight ferries from both to f.ex Osaka or Kobe. Should be some 12-13 hours trip by boat. Or if you want to include Hiroshima in your itinerary you can take a ferry from Beppu in about three hours. Would still leave room to experience the Nozomi between Hiroshima - Osaka and/or Osaka/Kyoto - Yokohama/Tokyo.

Otherwise, it's possible to stay in clean and comfortable business hotels for about 7-10.000 yen per night almost everywhere apart from certain parts of Tokyo.
That's great to know....are the ferries included in the JR pass as well? I think I've read some of them are.

Also, mosburger, from post above, I have completed my reservations so any suggestions for my routing are really appreciated! Thanks again to you, and everyone else for your help! You'll are why I love FlyerTalk so.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LLZ
abjm-jr when you say there is a surcharge, is it just an additional amount, or do you have to pay the full ticket price to ride the Nozomi...the latter was my impression based on what I've read.

If that's not so, can you give some guidance on how much additional the charge is and/or links on the JR site(s)? Thanks!

Perhaps I worded that poorly. The JR Railpass will take care of most of your travel, but you would have to pay for the Nozomi. Full amount, not a surcharge. Sorry for the confusion.

My main point was that the Hikari is almost as fast as the Nozomi, and your Railpass WILL cover it, as well as local trains and many ferries. You can get anyplace the Nozomi would take you via the Hikari. For example, the Hikari takes about 6:30 to go all the way from Fukuoka to Tokyo. I doubt the Nozomi would beat that by more than about 45 minutes.

My last trip from Kyoto to Tokyo via Nozomi was almost a disappointment. With a few more stops to slow the average speed a bit the scenery viewing would probably have been better.

JR
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:53 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The Hilton at Osaka station is nowhere near the airport, but it's in a fine location in Osaka, and we thought it was a decent hotel, especially if you have sufficient status or $$$ to get to the club floor.
the Hilton is in Osaka Downtown in Umeda right opposite the Umeda JR Station/Subway. It is actually really central and convenient, but from kansai Airport more an hour or so. I found the idea excellent from one of the other posters to go directly to Kyoto, not a bad idea.

Just one thing, if you flying via NRT on a connection, you mightalso have the possibility to fly into Osaka Itami which is really central and near Osaka downtown.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by LLZ
That's great to know....are the ferries included in the JR pass as well? I think I've read some of them are.

Also, mosburger, from post above, I have completed my reservations so any suggestions for my routing are really appreciated! Thanks again to you, and everyone else for your help! You'll are why I love FlyerTalk so.
Not so sure about the JR Pass compatibility of Kyushu - Honshu ferries but as for routing I might suggest:

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, maybe in the morning. In Kyoto, choosing two or three sights that are really of interest to you instead of overindulging in the huge variety. Then, next day doing a day trip to Nara before connecting to Osaka. Staying overnight in Osaka and visiting the castle etc. and having lunch ( in my books Osaka has the best food in all of Japan ) before continuing to Himeji. After taking a look at Himeji castle taking a train to Hiroshima and overnighting there.

After looking around in Hiroshima and lunching there I would continue straight to Fukuoka and change trains there to go on to either Kumamoto or Beppu/Oita. From the former you can explore the Aso crater landscape and the latter are, as mentioned, very popular Spa destinations. Then take JR back to Fukuoka where the Airport is for once very close to the city centre. One night there and back to Narita.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:58 am
LLZ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
Not so sure about the JR Pass compatibility of Kyushu - Honshu ferries but as for routing I might suggest:

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto, maybe in the morning. In Kyoto, choosing two or three sights that are really of interest to you instead of overindulging in the huge variety. Then, next day doing a day trip to Nara before connecting to Osaka. Staying overnight in Osaka and visiting the castle etc. and having lunch ( in my books Osaka has the best food in all of Japan ) before continuing to Himeji. After taking a look at Himeji castle taking a train to Hiroshima and overnighting there.

After looking around in Hiroshima and lunching there I would continue straight to Fukuoka and change trains there to go on to either Kumamoto or Beppu/Oita. From the former you can explore the Aso crater landscape and the latter are, as mentioned, very popular Spa destinations. Then take JR back to Fukuoka where the Airport is for once very close to the city centre. One night there and back to Narita.
That sounds really, really good. I will be modeling after your itin, if not outright duplicating it. Really appreciate your guidance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.