Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 747-400 (Old Configuration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 747-400 (Old Configuration)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Exclamation Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 747-400 (Old Configuration)

Yes, it is time once again for the next installment in our series of PSAs - Public Seating Announcements.

Today, we talk about the Boeing 747-400. I flew my first one today, UA838 NRT-SFO, so here is what you want to know:

(Edit: I flew in F FRA-SFO on 10.30.05 so I have updated the First Class section.)

FIRST CLASS

First off, I prefer the 777 for First. The 747 is just too "closed in" and the aisles are narrower, as well as having the central table/magazine rack between Rows 2 and 3.

Row 1 is very close together. Best for couples, really. There is no overhead storage, so any large items need to go into the closet directly in front of you. The suites are farther back from the windows then the other window suites, so the view out the windows is actually the worst of any windo suite.

Row 2 is great for singles. It has the most "personal space" in the cabin, since the central table/rack does not extend to your row. Overhead space is a single bin, but it does swallow a legal-sized rollaboard sideways.

Row 3 is a bit more claustraphobic because of the central table, but on the plus side snacks and wine are within arms-length.

Row 4 and Row 5 are decent enough. The central E and F pair are best for couples. I didn't notice too bad light or sound issues in Row 5, and once the curtains go in, that should be greatly reduced. I was chatting with the Purser in the galley and she closed the galley curtain to help cut down on our noise.

BUSINESS CLASS - LOWER DECK - FORWARD

Think Rows 8 and 9 on the 777. SeatGuru says they have five inches less pitch then the rest of the plane, but they looked like the rest of the lower deck to me. Five inches would have been seriously noticeable, so take that with a grain of salt. What few people were there were fully reclined and extended. With the seat in front of you fully reclined, you have no chance of getting out of 7A/D/H or 8A/D/H, and even the aisle seats (B/C/F/G) will be dicey unless you are a contortionist. If you want to be able to get up mid-flight at night in the forward cabin, pick 6B/C/F/G.

BUSINESS CLASS - LOWER DECK - AFT

The AB and GH pairs have the same pitch as the forward cabin and most of the upper deck. No problems with full recline and extension. Galley light on Row 22 was non-existant - the people there were in deep shade. Row 23 was a little easier to see, but again, like Row 5 in First, the eyeshades and earplugs will ensure sleep. 22A and 22H have plenty of space to clear the slide bulge, so don't worry about that.

25CDF and 26CDF have exceptional legroom. Nobody was in those seats, but even with 25 fully reclined, a mildly dextrous person could get out of Row 26 and no problem crossing over Row 25 wth legrests extended.

BUSINESS CLASS - UPPER DECK

First off, it was a lot bigger then I expected. I was thinking 757, and it is more like 767. I could stand up in the center (I am 6' 2") and it is very wide. The windows are useless for ground taxi, however. Lower then a CRJ, you'll snap your neck trying to look out them. Once airborne, they do a nice job of showing you what's down below.

On the plus side, the side storage lockers are amazing. Each is roughly 20" long, 18" high, and 10" wide. They're like the side tables in 10A, 10F, and 11F on the 767-200, but longer and you can put things in them. The overhead bins are useless for anything bigger then a briefcase or laptop bag. They will not hold a standard roll-aboard. There is a deep closet to the immediate right of the stairs, but being the first one to put your bag in there means you're the last one to get it out. I had to unload everyone else's to get to mine, though the storage lockers in 17A for my two other bags meant I was first one to the locker.

I had 17A and, along with 16A, these are the two best seats on the upper deck. Yes, I know the Row 15 crowd is ready to pounce on the Reply button, but hear me out - First, you get two and a half side storage lockers, vs. only one and a half in Row 15. Second, if travelling as a couple, you need never fear being bumped out of 16AB or 17AB by an Air Marshall. Third, 16AB and 17AB have about 20% more legroom then any other row (15 excepted). Fourth, in 15GH you have the Flight Attendent jump seat in front of you. Only downside to 16AB and 17AB is that the air vents aim at the seat cushion and will not reach your head. The 747-400 is very hot inside at cruise - almost uncomfortably so - and the lack of cool air can be a problem with sleeping.

Rows 11-14, and seats 16-18GH have the same pitch as most other Business seats and, again, the window person will never get out if the seat in front is fully reclined. The bulkhead seats were able to fully extend their legrests. If mildly dexterous, 16A and 17A can get out when the seat in front of them is fully reclined and their neighbor in the B seat has their footrest fully extended.

ECONOMY CLASS - ROWS 32-34

If you sit here, pick Row 32. Legroom is equivalent to Economy Plus - 34". Think 1CD on the 757 - tight, but not tortuous. Rows 33 and 34 have the 31" pitch and I don't know how anyone with legs long enough to reach the floor could sit there. There are three 17" LCD monitors, one on each bulkhead.

ECONOMY PLUS CLASS - ROWS 35-44

First off, this is the tighest Economy Plus pitch I have ever seen. Compared to the 757 (36"), it's cramped. They say 34" and I believe it. Even the 737 does not look as tight. Compared to the horror farther back, however, these measly few extra inches are probably a godsend.

Second, 35A and 35K are unusable. The slide extends across the entire width of the seat so you get 34" of pitch, at best. Even if the B/J seats are unoccupied, you'd have to bend your knees at a 90° angle. 35BC and 35HJ are fine. There is a ceiling mounted 15" CTV (ala the 757) above your head. 36DEFG have about 36" of legroom and the projection screen right in front of them.

ECONOMY CLASS - ROWS 46-62

I couldn't cross a taxiway in these seats, much less an ocean. It's as bad as the 31" of the 757. You look at it, and you cringe. Seriously. How people survive it is beyond me, and I am not trying to be flippant here. You couldn't pay me to fly in it to Asia or Australia. Heck, you couldn't pay me to fly it to PDX.

Again 46A and 46K are totally unusable, due to the slide. Still, it puts them ahead of anything in Rows 47 or back. 46BC and 46HJ are the four seats to gun for. Galley light on the HJK side of Rows 46-49 can be bright. Again, CRTs for the Exit Row and projector for everyone else.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Nov 7, 2005 at 3:20 pm Reason: Updated First Class section with personal observations
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great summary, which I'm passing on to a friend who'll be on a 747-400 for the first time later this year. I'll agree to disagree about row 15 upstairs, which to my mind is the best.

Also, I like row 1 in F for a couple. My wife and I flew it last year and it has a nice feeling of privacy. We were close enough to talk easily and hold hands from time to time. But this is a judgement call versus row 4.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Please. Row 5 is horrible. The flight crews on UA are horrible and talk all night long and that flourescent light from the galley is gross.

Go for 1A--the most private on the ship and if you're a couple the first row is close enough together to suffice.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Great seat report, Tigger. You just better be nice to your Angel for more gifts.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Nobody (former 1K, 1P, 2P), QFF Nobody, Skywards Nobody
I agree with most everything you said.

The 747-400 is very hot inside at cruise - almost uncomfortably so - and the lack of cool air can be a problem with sleeping.
I've had more problems with being too cold on a 747 than too hot - except on the ground. Perhaps this was specific to the upper deck? I've never been too hot at cruise, but usually have the blanket draped over me.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrisbanePE
I've had more problems with being too cold on a 747 than too hot - except on the ground. Perhaps this was specific to the upper deck? I've never been too hot at cruise, but usually have the blanket draped over me.
It felt cooler down below, so I don't know if they cranked up the temp for the overnight part or if that is just the way the UD of a 744 is. But I have never been hot on any other overnight flight on any other equipment, so I tend to think it is a 744UD thing.

And SQPPS, I'm just telling ya what I saw about eight hours ago. The galley light did not look all that bad and all of the FAs were quite quiet throughout the evening cruise. And with eyeshades and earplugs, you should not notice the light and noise, anyway. So while Row 5 is the least desirable FC row on the plane, it's not terrible (least on this plane).
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Outstanding report! Well Done! ^ ^

I agree with most of your assessments.

Personally I love Row 1 in First, especially when traveling with a business associate.

Upper deck - Business, row 11 is the absolutely the worst. 17A, 16A and row 15 are my preferred seats.

Lower Deck - Business: in preference order: Row 25, 6, 22 and 26

Economy: Sat in row 32 a few times but felt miserable. IMHO 32-34 are no better than 46-62. I am not too keen on row 35 and row 46... too much traffic and noise.

I think the best seats in Y are the middle sections of row 36 and row 51 bulkhead seats. I know the video screens are almost of top of you, but I found out wearing sunglasses greatly help with viewing. Also, these two rows have the best leg space.

Again, great report! ^

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 25, 2005 at 9:11 pm
Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:57 pm

Economy Plus is listed as 34-36" on the 744.
I have tried to locate the 36" ones, and have limited success. On the last three 744s I have been on, the pitch for the middle four seats are all configured slightly differently. One one aircraft, row 42 had noticeably bigger pitch than the other rows, while on another aircraft, both rows 41 and 42 had bigger pitch. Row 42 had limited recline on the first aircraft, while row 42 seem to have full recline on the second aircraft.

If anyone is flying on a 744 soon, please take a look at the middle four seats at the back of the E+ section.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K/MM, VA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot
Economy Plus is listed as 34-36" on the 744.
I have tried to locate the 36" ones, and have limited success. On the last three 744s I have been on, the pitch for the middle four seats are all configured slightly differently. One one aircraft, row 42 had noticeably bigger pitch than the other rows, while on another aircraft, both rows 41 and 42 had bigger pitch. Row 42 had limited recline on the first aircraft, while row 42 seem to have full recline on the second aircraft.

If anyone is flying on a 744 soon, please take a look at the middle four seats at the back of the E+ section.
I'm flying in C (26F) tomorrow SYD-LAX. Do you think anyone will complain if I wander around C and E+ with a tape measure?

How would you measure pitch for the bulkhead rows. There is no recline in front of you, but no legspace under the seat.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:47 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

FWIW, when travelling as couple, "we" still prefer 1A/J. 4E/F next, then 5E/F. Be aware however that since singles like 1A/J we always approached in the First lounge and "told" that one of the E/F seats are open and wouldn't just absolutely prefer them? No.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by wimpypipsqueak
I'm flying in C (26F) tomorrow SYD-LAX. Do you think anyone will complain if I wander around C and E+ with a tape measure?

How would you measure pitch for the bulkhead rows. There is no recline in front of you, but no legspace under the seat.
Isn't the big worry in bulkhead the space until the wall starts? How is the 36' leg space mentioend by the OP measured anyway? From the edge of the the front of the seat? If so, three feet is a godsend.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chobby100
Isn't the big worry in bulkhead the space until the wall starts? How is the 36' leg space mentioend by the OP measured anyway? From the edge of the the front of the seat? If so, three feet is a godsend.
I do not know how UA measures pitch (I think it is seatback to seatback), and Row 32 and 50 did not have three actual feet of legroom like Row 17 on the 777. But Row 32, especially, had a few extra inches. I am very familiar with the bulkhead First cabin of the 757 and 737 (both with a stated 38" of pitch) and this space was similar. So you probably won't be able to stretch out, but you can cross your legs - especially in Row 32.

I can tell you that E+ look tighter then it does on the 757. Your knees will be closer to the seat back in front of you, which seems to support the stated pitch of 34" on the 744 and 36" on the 752, since both have the same style and type of seat.

In E-, if you have knees, in almost every case they will hit the seat back in front of you. It is very tight. 757 tight. Ex-SHT 737 tight.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Another advantage of the UD window seats is that the side cupboards can be used as a footrest, giving you an almost vertical recline. Good for sleeping.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nor4
Another advantage of the UD window seats is that the side cupboards can be used as a footrest, giving you an almost vertical recline. Good for sleeping.
Except that puts your feet within a few inches of the person in the row infront.... Not very nice IMO...
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Smile

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Yes, I know the Row 15 crowd is ready to pounce on the Reply button
SEA_Tigger: With the exception of your one "little" mistake regarding the UD on 744's......(Row 15 vs. Anything Else!)...This is a very nice report, and much appreciated...

Guess we'll just have to be on the same plane sometime so that I needn't worry about you taking MY Row 15 seat!

Best wishes, Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.