Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! 2005 - International and Domestic Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold

Welp it's a new year and I know some of us will have new meals to report (I myself am heading to NRT next Thursday). Rather then have seperate International and Domestic Menus, I figure a single listing will make it easier since we all know UA meals don't change that much throughout the year.

So with that, "Let's Eat!"

Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Ok, how about me posting the first meal choice.

1/10 DEN-SGF on UX CRJ - 1 Bag of Pretzel Mix and water.

YUMMMMMMMMMM

Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P
UA #943 CDG to ORD January 6, 2005

BUSINESS CLASS MENU

TO BEGIN

Smoked salmon and Black Forest ham with mozzarella canapé
Pine nut pesto sauce

Fresh seasonal greens
Athena feta cheese or creamy garlic dressing

MAIN COURSE
We have boarded additional servings of vegetables for our customers who are restricting their consumption of carbohydrates.
Let your flight attendant know if you would like today’s selection of creamed spinach.

Filet mignon with onion and stone-ground mustard sauce
Lyonnaise potatoes and glazed carrots with parsley
*Today’s menu features beef from South America.

Lamb cutlet with garlic herb crust and peperonata
Zucchini and potato galette and lamb jus with balsamic vinegar
[“Cutlet” was actually two lamb chops. I had this choice, and it was really excellent. I even overheard other passengers talking about the lamb as they were walking toward passport control at O’Hare. Highly recommended.]

Spinach Gorgonzola cannelloni with shredded Parmesan cheese
Creamy Parmesan sauce

DESSERT

International cheese selection
Camembert and Beaufort cheese

Haagen-Dazs ice cream

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Spinach and smoked chicken bruschetta
Lyonnaise potatoes and crčme fraiche with arugula
(had this. kind of heavy. just ok.)

or

Chilled deli plate with tomato chili relish
Gravlax salmon, salami and pastrami with Tilsiter cheese
*Today’s menu features beef from South America.

Wine list featured this notation, which earlier C-class menus were missing:

The wines served aboard United’s flights are chosen in consultation with Doug Frost, columnist and author (On Wine, 2001; Uncorking Wine, 1996). Mr. Frost has been nominated for the prestigious James Beard Foundation Award and is one of only three people in the world to hold both the title of Master Sommelier and Master of Wine. Mr. Frost and United Airlines have taken a truly global perspective in selecting wines for your appreciation and enjoyment. A votre santé!

FEATURED WINES

CHAMPAGNE
Baron-Fuenté
De Venoge Brut Select Cordon Bleu NV

WHITE WINE
Dopff & Irion Alsace 2002 Pinot Blanc
Jean-Luc Colombo Cotes du Rhone Les Abeilles 2002
--> I feel the need to include their tasting notes, which I've read about on a thread here: "Complex, crisp and well-balanced, it is an incredible value" [hahahaha]
Van Loveren Robertson Riesling 2003
"Peculiar flavors for a Riesling but a charming white" [not described, just peculiar…]
Kenwood Yulupa California Chardonnay 2003

RED WINE
Robert Skalli Minervois 2003
Chateau du Grand Caumont Corbieres 2001, Cuvée Speciale
Arciero Novella Estate Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon
Paso de Luz San Rafael Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

BEVERAGES
Aperitifs, cocktails, spirits, liqueurs and beer. Sandemans Porto will be offered during the main meal’s dessert. Starbucks coffee will be available throughout the flight.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
January p.s. C-Class Breakfast Menu (from UA 6 on 1/7/05):

Cocktails:
Bellini and Kir Royale
They substituted Mimosas for the Kir Royale; I had the Bellini, which was pretty good.

To Begin:
Fresh from the bakery: A selection of danish, croissants, and bagels with butter, cream cheese, and fruit preserves.
They didn't serve any preserves, but the raisin bagel I opted for was really good and was toasted just right. Spreading near-frozen butter with a plastic knife SUCKS.

Main:
Sauteed Eggs with Scallions and corned beed hash patty, with banana nut stuffed pancakes with toasted almonds, maple cream sauce, and fresh fruit appetizer.

(alternate selection: fruit plate with yogurt)

This was actually really good, although the pancake at over an inch thick was a little underdone inside. "Sauteed Eggs with Scallions" is just a fancy way of describing scrambled eggs, but they were fine.

Prior to arrival:
Gourmet Deli Plate with mesquite turkey, ham, and swiss with whole grain mustard, cranberry spread, red onion, tomato, and cavatappi pasta salad. Shortbread finger cookies.
The sandwich was on an herb bread and was pretty good, particularly since they hadn't gone the BoB path of spreading all the mustard, etc. ahead of time. Overall, a much better sandwich than anything I've had BoB before. The mustard wasn't whole grain by any stretch (more like a smooth flavored mayo), and the cranberry spread was omitted entirely. The cavatappi pasta salad was only edible.

I managed to miss out on the wine selection (my FA was a bit surly and never offered, for one--of the three FAs in the C cabin, this one would say, "Want drink?" or "Done?" etc. as if to use as few words as possible .

Still, I really enjoyed the p.s. experience and plan on routing my transcons through NYC in the future if I can take p.s. and u/g to C.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:17 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
View from Another Side

Will post UA PVG-ORD shortly, but here's some selected items from TG's Royal First menu that was faxed to our hotel room for meal selection for F BKK-HKG (we both had Lobster Thermador; I washed mine down with several glasses of Dom Perignon 1996):

Chinese Roast Duck with Yellow and Green Noodles

Coquilles St. Jacques and Duchess Potatoes

Glass Noodles Pad Thai Wrapped in Omlet Served with Lobster Tail

Fish Maw with Crabmeat and Bamboo Pith Soup

Ostrich Steak with Brandy and Thai fresh herb sauce

Grilled Tournedos a la Sompote, Tamarind and Red Wine Sauce served with Baked Potatoes and Mixed Vegetables

Lobster Thermidor with Duchess Potatoes

Grilled Fillet of Beef Rossini

Tom Yum Kung Served with Rice

Thai Fried Rice with Prawns

Beef Stew English Style

Fish Chu-Chee Served with Rice

Rice Porridge with Minced Pork
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
May I request that those posting menus please tell us which wines were actually available. Usually, less than half of those on the menu are in fact available, while those that are available are often not on the menu.

And please tell us of any that you found to be good.

I can volunteer that there's a white Burgundy (Beaune 1er Cru 2001) that sometimes shows up in business class on flights to London that is excellent at 35,000 feet.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:51 am

PVG-ORD January 5

First Class Menu but they ran out of menus so just a single sheet of paper

TO BEGIN

Hot crab cakes with chive cream sauce, smoked duck and roasted zucchini chive ricotta on focaccia
Pistachio vinaigrette

SALAD
Fresh seasonal greens with artichoke hearts, tomatoes and croutons
Hot sauteed shrimp with garlic, Oriental vinaigrette or Caesar dressing

MAIN COURSE

Filet mignon with oven-roasted garlic sauce

Spinach and ricotta stuffed breast of chicken with shiitake Port demi-glace

The above entrees include your choice of:
Basmati rice with scallions and almonds, oven-roasted red potatoes or steamed rice
Broccoli florets and red pepper batonnets or asparagus spears

Stir-fried pork and chestnuts with sun-dried vegetable sauce
Spring onion fried rice, asparagus, bell peppers and black mushrooms

Stir-fried prawns with ginger and Chinese green tea sauce
Braised bean curd with mushrooms, sauteed peppers and e-fu noodles

DESSERT

Brie, Danish Blue and Red cheddar cheese

Fresh seasonal fruit

Haagen-Dazs ice cream with sundae toppings

Warm croissant and butter pudding

MIDFLIGHT SNACK
Please help yourself to assorted treats between the two main meals, sandwiches or noodles are available upon request

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Chicken bruschetta with Provolone cheese and Alfredo sauce
Julienned pepper saute and a fresh fruit appetizer

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:42 am

ORD-RDU January 6

First Class Menu on CR7

Big bag of Chex mix (at least four times bigger than bag in Y).

Ice water (no beer or wine available).
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
UA191 IAD-LAX on January 12, 2005
C-class Breakfast Menu on 3-class 763

TO BEGIN
Fresh from the bakery

A selection of danish, croissants, and bagels with butter, cream cheese, and fruit preserves.

MAIN COURSE
Chive scrambled egg and corn fritters

Muffin and croissant pudding with raisins and rum, strawberry ragout, sauteed pork sausage and a fresh fruit appetizer.

Fresh seasonal fruit platter
For the lighter appetite, we offer a variety of fresh fruit with yogurt.

FEATURED WINES
White Wine

Vina Tarapaca Chardonnay 2004 Maipo Valley
Morande Valle Central Chardonnay 2002

Red Wine
Geyser Peak Foxridge Sonoma County Merlot 2001
Crow Canyon San Luis Obispo County Cabernet Sauvingon 2001

About 1.5 hours before landing, the FAs came around with a choice of a warm oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip cookie with a glass of milk. They also gave out a packet of snack mix to those who wanted one as well during the flight.

I had the chive scrambled eggs plate and a cherry danish. Both were edible and tasty. I finished with the oatmeal raisin cookie, but no milk. I cannot vouch for actual wine selection or availability since I did not have any. Warmed towels were given out before breakfast. Service was friendly and prompt.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
LAX/SFO-SYD
BEGIN
Smoked Salmon with Parma Ham
Capers and Lemon aioli

Fresh Seasonal Greens

Main Course
Filet Mignon with Hollandaise Sause
Home Fried Pototoes, green beans and carrot batonnets

Chicken Parmesan with smoked mozzarella and marinara sauce
Lemon herbed orzo with brunoise peppers and a sauteed mediterranean vegetable medle with mushrooms

Baked Potato and bacon chowder
Creamy chicken broth with vegatables and cheddar cheese

Desert

Chees selection

Eli's Black Bottom Pie

Snacks

Chips chocolate

Prior to arrival

Fruit appetizer with bread etc

Scrambled eggs with onions peppers and vorsin cream sauce
tuckey sausage and home fried potatoes

And I am sure the wine etc is same as others. I do miss POL ROGER Though
Old Jan 13, 2005, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
6 January, 1:00 pm SFO-DEN in F, 757 equipment: Choice of reuben sandwich or "Oriental salad". We opted for the reuben, which was very good, on dark rye. Came with pickle, pasta salad, and fruit I think. Preceded by warm nuts - this was first successful warm nut experience on UA recently.

6 January, 6:35 pm DEN-ORD in F, 757: Choice of salmon salad or herbed chicken breast. We did the salmon, which was grilled and accompanied by a warm oil/vinegar-based dressing. Also light lemony cheese cake, warm rolls and warm nuts. The chicken selection also looked good, included mashed potatoes with skins and vegetable.

7 January, 9:05 am ORD-MIA in Y, 737 ex-Shuttle equipment: Pretzels in foil! Ordered a screwdriver using 1K voucher. Plastic cup filled with OJ required partial draining before insertion of vodka. No meals for sale account flight time of "only" 3 hours, however we had enjoyed custom-made omelets, hash browns and bacon at the O'Hare Hilton using UA VDB voucher and HHonors Diamond continental breakfast certificate - so no complaints. FC was "enjoying" packaged cold breakfast with plastic everything on this ex-Shuttle plane.

10 January, 4:53 pm Ted flight FLL-DEN: Grody. Our anemic mini-meal selection for $5 wasn't even available, so we fell back on the free pretzels, plus large cookies and fruit from Hyatt Diamond amenities over the preceding days. I ordered a lousy Margarita in a sticky bottle, using a 1K beverage coupon.

10 January, 8:05 pm DEN-SFO in C, 777: Fruit and cheese plate, with melon slices, grapes, strawberry, Port salut and cheddar. Preceded by pretzels in foil and warm towels. Why doesn't UA do the towels on other domestic F/C flights? They're standard on foreign airlines, even short domestic trips.

Last edited by Explore; Jan 13, 2005 at 3:21 pm
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:08 pm

What if flight is on A 320?

[QUOTE=Explore]
7 January, 9:05 am ORD-MIA in Y, 737 ex-Shuttle equipment: Pretzels in foil! Ordered a screwdriver using 1K voucher. Plastic cup filled with OJ required partial draining before insertion of vodka. No meals for sale account flight time of "only" 3 hours, however we had enjoyed custom-made omelets, hash browns and bacon at the O'Hare Hilton using UA VDB voucher and HHonors Diamond continental breakfast certificate - so no complaints. FC was "enjoying" packaged cold breakfast with plastic everything on this ex-Shuttle plane.
QUOTE]

I wonder if they serve hot brkfst in First on the weekends, since they fly an A320 on Sat's and Sun's? Anybody knows?

Also what about the return on a 737 MIA ORD @ 4:30PM? Will dinner be cold or hot?

Another one: SFO-ORD-SFO what will be served in F on dinner flights?

Thanks so much
Old Jan 13, 2005, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
United Business UA 890 HKG - NRT Jan 12

TO BEGIN

Spiced shrimp cocktail
Sliced cucumber and fresh lemon

MAIN COURSE

We have boarded additional servings of vegetables for our customers who are restricting their consumption of carbohydrates.
Let your flight attendant know if you would like today's selection of green beans with almonds.

Broiled white fish with grilled eggplant and shiitake mushroom
Simmered daikon and hanagata rice with yukari powder

Roasted chicken with garlic and soy sauce
Egg fried rice, baby bok choy and carrots

BREAKFAST SELECTION
This entree is offered in lieu of the above lunch choices.

Cheddar cheese omelette with roasted tomato sauce
Pork sausage, rosti potatoes and fresh fruit appetizer

DESSERT

Hazelnut chocolate cake
Chocolate sauce

My experience:

The appetizer was nice.

I chose the white fish main course, and it was pretty nice. I liked the eggplant and mushroom. Daikon was also my favorite, and the rice was great!

The cake was too sweet to my liking.

Last edited by hugochan; Jan 14, 2005 at 2:27 am
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:00 pm

SJC-DEN on a 737 for lunch there was the Oriental Chicken Salad and the Ruben Sandwich. I really dont like the Ruben, but as usual, it was what was left when they got to me.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:07 am

Programs: UA, bmi, Leaders Club
United Business UA 800 NRT - JFK Jan 12
This menu was also used on NRT - ORD

TO BEGIN

Sauteed shrimp with garlic and peppered pork tenderloin
Cucumber and potato salad with fresh lemon and black olive

Fresh seasonal greens

Ceasar or soy vinaigrette dressing

MAIN COURSE

Let your flight attendant know if you would like today's selection of sauteed spinach and shiitake mushrooms.

Filet mignon with bearnaise sauce*
Baked potatoes with herbs and green beans with carrot batonnets

Lemon grass breast of chicken with red wine curry sauce
Stir-fried Oriental vegetables and chicken rice

Japanese Obento selection
An appetizer of tuna with scallion nuta mix, a stuffed tomato, pumpkin tofu with sesame miso, and green tea soba noddles.
A main course of steamed snapper, hiratake mushrooms and vegetables, taro potatoes with shimeji mushrooms, carrots, peas and steamed rice.
Served with green tea

DESSERT

Bavarian Blue and Gouda cheese

Double chocolate cake
Raspberry and chocolate sauce

MIDFLIGHT SNACK
Please help yourself to assorted treats between the two main meals.
Sandwiches or noodles are avaliable upon request.

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Sauteed chicken and spinach on portobello mushroom
Hollandaise sauce with Parmesan cheese and fresh fruit appetizer
A low carbohydrate alternative
or
Fresh seasonal fruit plate with creamy yogurt

* Today's menu features beef from Australia.

My experience:

I had the obento box, and it was really pretty nice this time. Fish was the main course, once again, and I had no complain. I really liked the tuna appetizer in the box.

The chocolate cake was way too sweet for my taste.

I absolutely loved the Sauteed chicken and spinach on portobello mushroom ^ . It was just the right amount of richness, and the mushroom was BIG!!! Since I love mushroom so much, I was a happy flyer.

Last edited by hugochan; Jan 14, 2005 at 2:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.