Using SkyMiles with Alaska Airlines

Subscribe
I'm starting this thread because at midnight tonight, we can use our first SkyMiles on Alaska Airlines.

As of right now, Delta Special Member Services has no idea about the ability to mix miles with Delta flights. I am eagerly looking forward to making a couple of bookings when the clock strikes midnight and will post the rules on mixing with Delta.

I hope that UDH or ODH are able to post these rules when they are pushlished in the GRS system. It's kind of scary when a new partner is a mystery until the clock strikes midnight.
Mixing?
A little off topic - but now will there be any way to transfer Skymiles to Mileage Plan?
Quote: A little off topic - but now will there be any way to transfer Skymiles to Mileage Plan?
Not a chance
Quote: A little off topic - but now will there be any way to transfer Skymiles to Mileage Plan?
I think mixing refers to mixing DL and AS/QX flights on a single (award) ticket like we can do with SkyTeam partners... i.e. ATL-(DL)-SEA-(AS)-ANC. This is a good question.
Quote: I think mixing refers to mixing DL and AS/QX flights on a single (award) ticket like we can do with SkyTeam partners... i.e. ATL-(DL)-SEA-(AS)-ANC. This is a good question.
That's the catch that I don't understand. I can mix DL and CO / NW on flights on the same reward. Will we be able to do the same with AS?

EDITED TO CORRECT TYPO -- I MEANT TO SAY THAT WE *CAN* MIX WITH CO / NW. WAS LOOKING FOR CLARIFICATION ON AS.
Quote: I can't mix DL and CO / NW on flights on the same reward.
Yes, you can.
Quote: I'm starting this thread because at midnight tonight, we can use our first SkyMiles on Alaska Airlines.

As of right now, Delta Special Member Services has no idea about the ability to mix miles with Delta flights. I am eagerly looking forward to making a couple of bookings when the clock strikes midnight and will post the rules on mixing with Delta.

I hope that UDH or ODH are able to post these rules when they are pushlished in the GRS system. It's kind of scary when a new partner is a mystery until the clock strikes midnight.
Some rules were published in advance. You will be able to mix AS flights with DL/CO/NW flights. The new award codes for these awards all start with T, example T111 for contiguous U.S./Alaska/Canada economy award travel. These award codes were formerly reserved for members of Skyteam alliance proper, but they will now be called "multi-airline" awards and include combinations of the Skyteam partners plus AS and AV (Avianca), leaving open the possibility of more airlines being added later.

I am much less certain as to what to expect from AS when it comes to availability on their flights. Good luck everyone.

I am an employee of Delta Air Lines, but I have no official status on these forums. For Delta's official word please feel free to contact Delta via the telephone or on www.delta.com
Quote: That's the catch that I don't understand. I can't mix DL and CO / NW on flights on the same reward. Will we be able to do the same with AS?
After CO/NW joined SkyTeam, it became possible to use one award for travel on all three airlines.

I like how the AS partnership is almost the same as a SkyTeam partnership... you earn MQMs, and can combine with DL flights. I think AS does this with all of their (many) partners though, so it's probably not a sign that they're joining SkyTeam.
Quote: Some rules were published in advance. You will be able to mix AS flights with DL/CO/NW flights. The new award codes for these awards all start with T, example T111 for contiguous U.S./Alaska/Canada economy award travel. These award codes were formerly reserved for members of Skyteam alliance proper, but they will now be called "multi-airline" awards and include combinations of the Skyteam partners plus AS and AV (Avianca), leaving open the possibility of more airlines being added later.

I am much less certain as to what to expect from AS when it comes to availability on their flights. Good luck everyone.

I am an employee of Delta Air Lines, but I have no official status on these forums. For Delta's official word please feel free to contact Delta via the telephone or on www.delta.com
Very interesting...

It would be nice to use AS to get to LAX or YVR from a west coast city to pick up a AF or KLM flight to Europe ^
Delta had nothing in their system at midnight, but I called yesterday and was able to get Alaska / Delta interconnecting flights on the west coast without a problem.

It has to go through the partner award desk (international partner award desk could not help even though it was Canada).
hmmmm....

We are doing ATL-SEA, then SEA-ATL in June.

We are doing a cruise in between and currently planning to purchase a Anchorage to SEA ticket on our own from Alaska Air. I am afraid I know the answer, but can we get this all on one award?

But, I think that becomes an open jaw AND a stop over since we will be spending a few days in SEA.
Quote: hmmmm....

We are doing ATL-SEA, then SEA-ATL in June.

We are doing a cruise in between and currently planning to purchase a Anchorage to SEA ticket on our own from Alaska Air. I am afraid I know the answer, but can we get this all on one award?

But, I think that becomes an open jaw AND a stop over since we will be spending a few days in SEA.
You planning on stopping in SEA on the way back too? (i.e. ATL-SEA-cruise-ANC-SEA(stopover)-ATL). That would make it a stopover and open jaw. If you fly straight back ANC-SEA-ATL then you could get it all on one ticket.
SkyMiles Award travel on Alaska Airlines
Hi all,

I'm trying to use my SkyMiles to book a flight on Alaska Air, but I'm a little confused how it works. It does not appear that Delta lets you book directly using their online system, so I'm assuming that I issue myself an award certificate for SkyTeam travel. But then what? Do I contact Alaska Airlines and give them the certificate information?

Also, is the cert. as good as normal Alaska Airlines miles? I reason I ask is that I've found a flight on an Alaskan Airlines partner (American) that is "cheaper" (ie SkySaver rate) then booking through Delta. So can I use a SkyTeam award certificate to book travel on an Alaskan Airlines partner airline? I'm guessing it is not that easy since that would essentially let me use my miles to travel on American as well....

Thanks!
Usually, you can not book on a partner or a partner. Sorry.
I am pretty sure you can not use American. Second, no need to do a cert, just call Delta and ask for the partner desk and do it over the phone.