What was your longest hotel stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC

I checked into a local extended stay hotel in Bangkok in July 2003, which brings me up to 529 nights so far without checking out

I've "only" actually spent slightly over 400 nights here, but the monthly rate I negotiated worked out much cheaper than the daily rate, and it also meant that I could use it as a pseudo-home and leave my stuff here while I travelled.

The benefits of being here so long is that housekeeping knows not to bother coming to my room before 2pm on weekends even if I forget to hang the DND sign, they know exactly where I like my toiletries in the bathroom and room service knows exactly how I like my "special orders" prepared. And I know most of the hotel staff, who tell me some very interesting stories about other hotel guests

No elite program, but after the first couple of weeks I was upgraded to a 1000 sq ft suite with a full kitchen, flat screen tv, dvd player, hifi music system and a balcony to chill out on...sure beats anything a major chain can offer. No miles or points earned for the stays, but at least putting the bill monthly on my credit card earned me a bunch of miles last year
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:07 pm
Suspended

I did about 150 nights at a Residence Inn - same deal as you. Actually left quite a bit, but never checked out.

The one thing I've got to say to the OP: 529 nights in Bangkok? Lucky Dog!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC MM
I did around 125 nights in Cambridge Ontario at a Best Western and left some weekends but didn't check out because of the rate negotiated. Nothing fancy but comfortable. A guy could get used to having a daily cleaner!
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:36 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
My longest is 3 months at a hotel in a small town in Northern France. Not the longest here, by a long chalk, but I was only 10.

It was made all the harder by the school term starting at the beginning of the 2nd month. It's all rather tricky in a different language...
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: United
My longest stay was about four months at the St. Paul Hotel in Minnesota. Nice hotel!! I was only there about half of the Friday and Saturday nights, but it was a lot easier than checking out and checking back in 15 times.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I spend six days a year in a suite at the San Diego Marriott and Marina entertaining guests and friends during the San Diego Comic Con. That's about the max for me.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:03 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Wink

5-7 days, at many places, but never longer than that

529 nights

Are you sure you are in a hotel and not in jail
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:54 pm

my longest stay at hotel was 4 months, during my summer internship.

Word of advice: give yourself plenty of time (maybe 1 week) to start packing when you finally do leave. I was amazed how much crap I accumulated during the 4 months. Plus I made the mistake of starting to pack the night before my 0600 flight . . .
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:00 am

I lived in a hotel in Xi'an, China, same room, for over 15 months.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've done 150-200 nights per year for over 8 years now, and I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 or 6 nights straight in any one hotel. Or any non-home city for that matter. Or any non-home country either.

I don't know how you guys do it?!?
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:06 am

My family spent 19 nights at the Grand Wailea on Maui in November of 1998. It started out as a two week vacation touring all the islands; Maui was our last stop, originally supposed to be a week, but we "extended" twice. My husband had just sold his company and we needed the family time after not seeing him for nearly six months.

Last edited by climbermom; Jan 8, 2005 at 6:07 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:17 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Originally Posted by Savage25
The benefits of being here so long is that housekeeping knows not to bother coming to my room before 2pm on weekends even if I forget to hang the DND sign, they know exactly where I like my toiletries in the bathroom and room service knows exactly how I like my "special orders" prepared. And I know most of the hotel staff, who tell me some very interesting stories about other hotel guests

No elite program, but after the first couple of weeks I was upgraded to a 1000 sq ft suite with a full kitchen, flat screen tv, dvd player, hifi music system and a balcony to chill out on...sure beats anything a major chain can offer. No miles or points earned for the stays, but at least putting the bill monthly on my credit card earned me a bunch of miles last year
When will you eventually check-out ?

What is the name of your BKK residence which from the subscribtion sounds good. What is the rack-rate for your suite ?
How much is your monthly rate ?

Feel free to answer by PM or e-mail if you do not want to disclose the details about your temporary residence here. Many thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
About five months in a suburb of Athens at age 14. My father was working in the Middle East, a war broke out, and they evacuated all the American dependents. We didn't know from one week to the next when we'd be allowed to return, and he could visit us once in a while, so we didn't want to get too far away (like returning to the States) and could never justify making any long-term plans.

Fortunately, my brothers and I weren't the only ones in the same boat. That hotel was popular with the evacuee families because it was convenient to the American Club and the English-speaking schools. One of the girls I hung out with there even recognized me at a college dance six years later. (She was amazed to find me with a stunning date, but that's another story.)

When I taught at the Lowell campus of the University of Massachusetts, a colleague lived a local hotel for a couple of years after his divorce. In Mass., the hotel tax stops after 90 days. When he left for more than a few days, they'd store his stuff and switch him to a phantom $1-per-day "room" so the tax clock didn't start over again when he returned.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: SQSolitaire,Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, CO Platinum,
4 months in Hotel Imperial Tokyo. I make 8 trips a year to Tokyo and each trip lasts 5-6 days. Now switched to Hyatt due to Gold passsport and free nights

But I miss my room in Imperial old wing. The staff got to know me well and I got the same room for 6 years now.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:22 am

My longest occurred during a previous work life. I spent from August 15, to December 24 in the Best Western Waukesha, Wisconsin, while working for a Geophysics Company doing the Tech work on the Milwaukee "Big Dig" Storm Sewer plan. My company put me up there and never negotiated a differing rate. Everything was put on my Amex (before rewards) and required telling the desk every week that I was going to be there another week. The job was supposed to last from Aug 15 to Sept 2. but problems kept coming up. Most of the time, I sat in a truck and read the newspaper during the 10 hour days. Glad that part of my life is over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.