Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Reciprocal Recognition of Parking Badges

Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I came across this information recently and thought it might be of help to someone:

In 1978, the ECMT Council of Ministers agreed that all Member Countries of the ECMT would grant the same parking concessions to people with disabilities as they offered to their own nationals. These concessions usually allowed special parking in areas reserved for people with disabilities, or allowed longer parking periods or exemptions from charges.

This Resolution was updated and extended in scope in 1997. In addition to all the Member countries of ECMT this Resolution now applies also to the ECMT Associated Countries (Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, United States). This means that disabled motorists from all ECMT Member and Associate countries are now entitled to the same parking concessions as nationals in all ECMT Countries. The only condition is the display of a badge showing the international wheelchair symbol.
The website is at http://www.internationaltransportfor...y/parking.html.

Last edited by Katja; Jun 4, 2009 at 3:41 pm Reason: Update link - could the EU please just put stuff in one place and leave it there?
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:46 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
Originally Posted by Katja
I came across this information recently and thought it might be of help to someone:

The website is at http://www1.oecd.org/cem/topics/handicaps/parking.htm.
Don't count on it being adhered to. We were given a ticket at Laguna Beach even though my Australian permit was visible.

We got out of it by faxing them proof of ID. But how many others will pay the fine, just because it is easier. And this is probably what they are counting on.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:11 pm

Programs: United MP
I've heard of this, but so far have not had the guts to try my Maryland placard in Copenhagen.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Feebster
Don't count on it being adhered to. We were given a ticket at Laguna Beach even though my Australian permit was visible.

We got out of it by faxing them proof of ID. But how many others will pay the fine, just because it is easier. And this is probably what they are counting on.
I figure it's probably honored more in the breach.

Also, my take was that it meant that EU contries would honor each other's (and North American) permits, not that the US would honor a European permit.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
Originally Posted by Katja
I figure it's probably honored more in the breach.

Also, my take was that it meant that EU contries would honor each other's (and North American) permits, not that the US would honor a European permit.
Last time I checked Australia wasn't a European country

My post was just as a warning...don't take it for granted that you won't get a ticket...and if you do fight it. As I stated previously, we just had to show proof of ID and all was forgiven.

So I guess in a way the US does honor other permits, but they will try and book you first
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:18 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
I was just going to ask a similar question and found this here ... but, can you use a handicapped placard interstate (mine being from CALIF, and use in VA for instance). Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA, EI, KLM/AF
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
I was just going to ask a similar question and found this here ... but, can you use a handicapped placard interstate (mine being from CALIF, and use in VA for instance). Thanks.
Absolutely. I travel with my Maryland badge and use it on rental cars all over (incl. Ireland and England). So far no problems...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Most, if not all, states have some sort of agreement of reciprocity with all the other states in the union. There are exceptions (New York City).

I generally operate under the assumption that my Colorado permit is valid anywhere in the US, but if you want to be sure, you should check with the state to which you are going. Here, for example, is the Florida statute: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/disabled_pkg.html (last paragraph).
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:19 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
The "full faith and credit" clause of the U.S. Constitution means that a disabled-person placard or license tag from one U.S. State or territory is valid nationwide, just as is your driver's license.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mbstone
The "full faith and credit" clause of the U.S. Constitution means that a disabled-person placard or license tag from one U.S. State or territory is valid nationwide, just as is your driver's license.
Right, with the only exception being New York City. Before anybody says it, some jurisdictions, like Washington DC have limitations on use of out-of-state placards but they are still valid. (In DC you can't park at a parking meter for free or for twice the meter's time, like those with DC Placards can. You can park in designated spaces with out of state placards though.)
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:20 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Right, with the only exception being New York City. Before anybody says it, some jurisdictions, like Washington DC have limitations on use of out-of-state placards but they are still valid. (In DC you can't park at a parking meter for free or for twice the meter's time, like those with DC Placards can. You can park in designated spaces with out of state placards though.)
I have read the signage in DC. Anybody who went to court to challenge this under the Full Faith and Credit clause would win.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:21 am

I have read the signage in DC. Anybody who went to court to challenge this under the Full Faith and Credit clause would win.
Well, so far no one has done so.

I'm not sure though. Not all states and cities have the same rules.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Jan 20, 2005 at 4:24 am
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, but when I'm travelling it's not for the fun of litigation. I'd rather just be able to park.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I've heard of this, but so far have not had the guts to try my Maryland placard in Copenhagen.
No problems, Deafflyer! I have checked the official Danish rules and regulations, and here you go:

11. Et motorkretj, der er forsynet med et parkeringskort, jf. 10, kan parkeres

1) indtil 15 minutter p

a) steder hvor alene af- og plsning er tilladt,

b) steder med parkeringsforbud,

c) ggader, i det omfang rindekrsel er tilladt

2) indtil 1 time p steder, hvor 15 eller 30 minutters parkering er tilladt

3) tidsubegrnset p steder, hvor

a) 1, 2 eller 3 timers parkering er tilladt, sfremt parkeringsskivens viser indstilles efter reglerne herom,

b) der er opstillet billetautomater (parkometer eller parkomat), sfremt der ved ankomsten betales maksimumbelb, medmindre der ved lokal bekendtgrelse er fastsat bestemmelse om lavere eller ingen betaling, og parkeringsskivens viser indstilles efter reglerne herom.

12. Reglerne i 11 glder tilsvarende for

1) indehavere af et udenlandsk parkeringskort af den i bilaget nvnte fllesskabsmodel, nr parkeringskortet er udstedt i et land, der er medlem af Den Europiske Union,

2) indehavere af et udenlandsk parkeringskort/invalideskilt, som er udstedt i et land, der ikke er medlem af Den Europiske Union, sfremt kortet/skiltet er forsynet med det internationale krestolssymbol.

13. De i 11 og 12 nvnte parkeringslempelser medfrer hverken indskrnkning af pligten til at anvende pbudt parkeringsskive eller pligten til at efterkomme standsningsforbud.

14. En person med bopl i Danmark m ikke anvende et i udlandet udstedt parkeringskort/invalideskilt i et kretj, der er registreret her i landet.
In case you don't understand Danish, it says in paragraph 13 that all international parking badges are recognized if they display the international wheelchair symbol.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 5:21 pm

Thanks Chrismo2!! I had looked for that info before but couldn't find it. I'm glad someone here knows where to look!

Hav det godt!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.