Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

For those FTers Travelling in Southeast Asia over Xmas Holidays, PLEASE touch base!

For those FTers Travelling in Southeast Asia over Xmas Holidays, PLEASE touch base!

Old Dec 27, 2004, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Exclamation For those FTers Travelling in Southeast Asia over Xmas Holidays, PLEASE touch base!

I learned from browing various threads that we have quite a few FTers plan to travel in Southeast Asia over the Xmas holidays. Even though I may not know most of you personally, over the months/years reading your posts, let alone informative, thoughtful or funny, I develop a sense of community with our fellow FTers. I assume some people may feel the same.

There's a huge rescue mission going on now due to the earthquake and tidal waves on 12/26/2004. Since there's no easy way to track down our FT Asia travellers one by one, I would like to start this thread and kindly ask our fellow FTers who happened to be surrounded by this event, would you please post here, when you find communication and time, and let this community know if you are OK?

Not being insensitive to those FTers who have families or friends travelling in the areas the same time. Best wishes to you all!

lin821
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by lin821
There's a huge rescue mission going on now due to the earthquake and tidal waves on 12/26/2004. Since there's no easy way to track down our FT Asia travellers one by one, I would like to start this thread and kindly ask our fellow FTers who happened to be surrounded by this event, would you please post here, when you find communication and time, and let this community know if you are OK?
Chill out. "Asia" is a darned big place and the odds of getting caught in the tsunami are considerably less than, say, dying in a car accident (~300,000 deaths in eastern Asia in 2002).

But if there are any FTers who were in Aceh, eastern Sri Lanka or southwest coastal Thailand at the time, then by all means pipe up. I was mildly squicked today to realize that last year at this time I was at Langkawi's Pantai Cenang, but the hotel where I was staying basically isn't there anymore...
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Chill out. "Asia" is a darned big place and the odds of getting caught in the tsunami are considerably less than, say, dying in a car accident (~300,000 deaths in eastern Asia in 2002).

But if there are any FTers who were in Aceh, eastern Sri Lanka or southwest coastal Thailand at the time, then by all means pipe up. I was mildly squicked today to realize that last year at this time I was at Langkawi's Pantai Cenang, but the hotel where I was staying basically isn't there anymore...
I was on Ko Jam last year at this time -- 30 minute ferry ride from Krabi. Since it isn't heavily populated and isn't a big tourist destination, I have no idea whether/how badly it got hit.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I was thinking I might start this thread at the wroing forum. Someone led me to a survivor post in OMNI. In case you missed it, following is the link.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384152

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.