Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more free food in coach on any domestic flight.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
No more free food in coach on any domestic flight.

AA has just announced a new buy-on-board program starting February 1 which will replace all complimentary food service in coach on domestic flights (including trans-cons and Hawaii).

American Airlines Launches New Food Service in Main Cabin on Select Domestic Routes

Customer, Employee Feedback Helped Design New Food Options

FORT WORTH, Texas, Dec. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today announced it will begin selling food in the main cabin on select domestic routes, effective Feb. 1, 2005. The new program will be available on all domestic flights longer than three hours. First Class meals remain complimentary.

When implemented, the new service will provide food options on more than 500 daily non-transcontinental flights -- approximately 300 more flights than currently offer food service. In addition, the new program will be offered in place of existing main cabin food service on approximately 120 transcontinental and 40 Hawaii flights. The move will help the carrier save roughly $30 million annually, while still providing customers with the option to have food on board on more than 660 domestic flights.

The new food service is a direct result of tests by American in September. Survey results from customers and feedback from employees supported the idea of selling food in-flight and, ultimately, helped design the new program.

"Selling food on-board is not a new concept in our industry, but we went to great lengths to test various food options with our customers," said Lauri Curtis, Vice President-Onboard Service. "Based on our customer research and feedback from our flight attendants, we believe our customers will appreciate this new option with some very attractive price points."

American will offer a morning snack box from 6 a.m. to 9:59 a.m. and an afternoon snack box from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. The morning version will contain a Kellogg's® Nutri-Grain Muffin Bar, Ocean Spray® Craisins®, New York Style® Brand® Mini Bagel Chips, rondele® cream-cheese spread and Peerless® Starlight Mint. The afternoon box will contain Pepperidge Farm® Distinctive Crackers, Sparrer's® gourmet beef salami slices, cheddar cheese, Delyse® Orchard Fruit Mix and Oreo® cookies. The new service will be offered on more than 500 non-transcontinental routes of three hours or greater in length and will be available for $3.

In addition to the snack box, customers traveling on select transcontinental and Hawaii flights will be offered a freshly prepared sandwich or wrap for $5. On morning flights, a breakfast croissant sandwich with roasted turkey, cheddar cheese, and raspberry butter will be offered. After 10 a.m., customers can purchase an oven-roasted turkey wrap. The wrap consists of a roasted red-pepper tortilla, spread with spinach cream cheese, lined with Romaine lettuce and filled with oven-roasted turkey, red bell pepper and corn. This service will be available on approximately 120 transcontinental and 40 Hawaii flights daily. Non-alcoholic beverages in the main cabin will remain complimentary.

Initially, only cash will be accepted for transactions, but American is investigating the ability to accept credit and debit cards in the future. First Class meals will remain complimentary and unchanged, with the exception of the discontinuation of special meal service on non-transcontinental domestic flights.
The good news is prices seem more reasonable than other airlines charge. The bad news is that there are limited options -- one choice on short flights, a different choice on longer flights.

I can't say I'm too surprised.

Greg
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by GregL
The good news is prices seem more reasonable than other airlines charge. The bad news is that there are limited options -- one choice on short flights, a different choice on longer flights.
The prices seem to be quite a bit cheaper than you'd pay for the equivalent at the airport itself too.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
The key thing about these "snack packs" is that all of the stuff is prepackaged (no messy work for FAs) and virtually all of it has enough preservatives to last for months in stock on an aircraft or in a storage room until somebody buys it. It will save AA lots of $$ ($30 million, according to the press release).

The downside, IMHO? The 130 transcon routes that will lose complimentary meal service in Y. I'm sure AA won't eliminate it from the AFS routes, but I bet we will see meals disappear on JFK-SEA, MIA-LAX, FLL-LAX, JFK-SJC, JFK-SAN, and other similar routes. That really bites the big one.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think this is a good move. It can save a bunch of money with minimal impact. People can buy on board, or bring something on. Given that so many people complain about the food anyway- is it a big loss? As long as we know it's the case, we can be prepared for it.

Cheers.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:40 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I feel like it is a bit of a mistake to not offer complimentary meals on Hawaii flights...competitively, they are at a disadvantage there.

I also wish the offerings were of higher quality than this. Granted, I'm welcome to bring aboard whatever I wish (and will continue to do so), but they could do better. Something fresh is always preferable.

Sigh. With the cuts in SFO service, meals, and MRTC, I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off over at UA. They have a great route network out of SFO, better partner relations for int'l travel to EU and equivalent domestic service to AA. I'm freakin' tired of connecting in Dallas just to visit my parents in Ohio - Denver would be the preferred stop there.

I'm pretty sure UA would welcome my business in 2005 and I'd immediately get all the same benefits I currently enjoy on AA:

- elite check-in
- elite security
- elite pre-boarding

These are the things that matter most to me and are the same on all carriers at the entry elite levels. I'd not lament the end of travel on the Super (small) 80 either.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:45 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I never complained about the meal service. The coach meal on a JFK-LGB flight was wonderful; we had a choice of steak or pasta.

The turkey wrap doesn't sound like a meal, and the so-called snack box is so simple I could buy the same contents at a convenience store and bring it myself.

What I can't bring on board is a steak (however small, it's still good), or chicken or pasta. Eating beforehand is OK, but sometimes you don't have time, or the choices suck (DFW), and frankly it makes the flight more enjoyable.

With this announcement and the coming un-MRTC-ing of the fleet, what reason is there to fly AA?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:45 am

I don't mind the cost as much as the pretty gross offerings. AA actually offered up decent coach meal service in the past, particularly brekafast offerings. Now one needs to pay (ok, I can handle that) but I sure don't want a turkey sandwich for breakfast: "a breakfast croissant sandwich with roasted turkey, cheddar cheese, and raspberry butter will be offered". GROSS!
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:52 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by JS
I never complained about the meal service. The coach meal on a JFK-LGB flight was wonderful; we had a choice of steak or pasta.

The turkey wrap doesn't sound like a meal, and the so-called snack box is so simple I could buy the same contents at a convenience store and bring it myself.

What I can't bring on board is a steak (however small, it's still good), or chicken or pasta. Eating beforehand is OK, but sometimes you don't have time, or the choices suck (DFW), and frankly it makes the flight more enjoyable.

With this announcement and the coming un-MRTC-ing of the fleet, what reason is there to fly AA?
I couldn't agree more! I can understand the cuts on shorter flights, but on long-haul transcontinental flights?? I guess transformation into LCC is way to go now. What's next on AA? Cattle call??

LAX
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:53 am

I am mad

Well I am not surprised with AA decision, but I am disappointed in the offerings and this BOB involves transcontinental and Hawaii flights.

First the offerings are poor. Snack boxes are great and $3 is better than $5 other airlines are charging, but for a short haul or medium haul flight, they are fine, but for transcontiental flights of Hawaiian flights, that is insufficient. One choice of sandwich is also poor. Look at Delta's Y BOB offering... that is a true offering. Even UA offer two choices of meals and various selections as BOB.

Second, it involves transcontinental and Hawaiian flights. Delta offers free food on longer haul Hawaii flights and don't see why AA has to cut it. The saving is only $30 million... that will not help AA in a massive way.

I understand BOB is coming, but the bottom line is certain flights longer than five hours should be free food. I think AA can actually sell snack boxes on longer haul domestic flights to generate revenue. AA Y meals are actually okay, but the quantity is a bit weak. So I can accept selling snack boxes are acceptable for long haul domestic flights. But there should be at least be one proper hot complimentary meal.

First no MRTC, and second, BOB... AA has managed to devalue its Y product within a few months. Good job! I am really considering switching to UA... but I am also curious if UA will go full blast with BOB as well. UA tends to follow AA or vice versa. Only if UA can offer bonus elite miles on UA codeshare and Star Alliance flights, I will switch with no doubt.

Sad day in history of American Airlines!

Carfield
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by JS
Eating beforehand is OK, but sometimes you don't have time, or the choices suck (DFW), and frankly it makes the flight more enjoyable.
I have to disagree here. Dickey's at DFW is probably a better choice than any meal I have ever eaten on an airplane.

Knowing that I can have 1 lb. of meat (half turkey half sliced beef in case you were wondering) for $13.09 tax included makes opting out of the pizza they give ex-Europe an easy decision.

Sam
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW

Knowing that I can have 1 lb. of meat (half turkey half sliced beef in case you were wondering) ...
Sam
Yikes- you must be one of those MCO bound passengers (average weight 326lbs) that obviously participated in AA's "extensive" testing of the new product. "Give me quantity - who cares what it tastes like, the masses proclaimed!"
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
It seems like a very Turkey oriented offering here... What if I don't like turkey or don't want it...give me choices. Here's a hint AA... not everyone wants TURKEY for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

Did you also notice that it states toward the bottom that they are removing the "special meals" in First Class as well? I guess that means that if you are vegetarian or on a low salt diet, etc.. that you get your choice of very poor quality chicken, or beef tips. I've had the chicken about 30 times this year, and the quality sucks lately (I thought chicken breast was supposed to be mostly white meat?..not other chicken parts)

In any event, this whole thing sucks if you are taking long flights...at least Southworst has lunch boxes that have better options.

If it keeps up, I'm half tempted to try UA again...and I hate UA.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Yikes- you must be one of those MCO bound passengers (average weight 326lbs) that obviously participated in AA's "extensive" testing of the new product. "Give me quantity - who cares what it tastes like, the masses proclaimed!"
It is obvious you have never eaten Dickey's BBQ
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:16 pm

about that bit at the end...

The concept of BOB was a foregone conclusion, and the selection/choices will surely improve as they go along. The fact that they don't apply it evenly (eg. JFK-LAX doesn't seem to be included) shows that the AA mindset is to just cut benefits, not to transform.

But what blows me away is that they won't serve special meals in Biz on non-transcon flights. This is unreal. I'm sure it's a small number of people, and maybe the numbers work out in AA's favor, but do they actually expect to keep business customers who regularly order special meals and fly through ORD and DFW?
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
my interpretation

on "Customer, Employee Feedback Helped Design New Food Options" is that the employee feed back is we are too lazy to want to serve pax and customers feed back is.. you gouge us with everything else why not include food as well.. at least I picked a good year to make EXP and sit up front

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.