Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Close Dining Buzz?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Close Dining Buzz?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I thought it was probably more appropriate here than in Suggestions.

I'd like to suggest that the Talkboard consider closing Dining Buzz. Don't get me wrong, I find the information on restaurants very useful, and I've posted a lot of eating out tips in my time too. I just think that it would be much more useful if these posts were in the "destination" forums.

My reasoning is as follows:

If you're looking for eating out information, it's probably because you're visiting a city. You may also want to get other info about that city, such as local transport options and the like. I think it would be easier for users if all the information was in one place. I subscribe to forums for cities I often visit, or will subscribe on a temporary basis for an upcoming trip.

If you're providing information in response to requests, chances are it's either for a city you live in or visit a lot. For example, I subscribe to the forum for the city I live in so that I can see quickly if people have questions I can answer (I've also learned a fair bit about my home city too).

I'm not suggesting less discussion of "Dining" on FT (those who have met me will know it's one of my favourite things...) I just think it would be easier if the threads were in the forum for the city to which they relate.

Of the 23 threads on the 10-day view, only 5 are not location-specific:

Restaurants to Avoid Worldwide — and Please Name Names!
Most Expensive Dinner
Tipping Etiquette - Buffet
Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!
Best restaurant in a train station

Perhaps these few more general dining threads could be accommodated in Travelbuzz?

Just a thought...

Last edited by Wingnut; Dec 16, 2004 at 8:35 pm Reason: bad prose
Old Dec 14, 2004, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Finding information for a location would be much more efficient if all the destination travel/dining/airport forums were combined.

Last edited by linsj; Dec 14, 2004 at 4:34 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I made a similar suggestion a while back. With some much appreciated effort, as a work-around, Kiwi Flyer compiled a list of relevant threads for OZ-NZ. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321579

I think it would strengthen the Destination forums if more of the location specific DiningBuzz and TravelBuzz threads were moved to the relevant region. Some people less experienced with FT may not even be aware that there are forums for the various regions. Seeing these moved should get more traffic into those forums.

Similarly, the LocalTalk forums also overlap with the Destination forums; for the most part the Localtalks seem to be very lightly used. At least for the US airports, consider converting these forums into threads under the appropriate Destination forum.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
The suggestion is now being discussed in the TalkBoard.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by attorney28
The suggestion is now being discussed in the TalkBoard.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My problem with this suggestion is that the destination fora don't get enough traffic to be terribly helpful.

I'd support replacing DiningBuzz!!!!!!!! with Ask FlyerTalk!, however.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doppy
the destination fora don't get enough traffic to be terribly helpful
Granted, but isn't this chicken & egg? If all the info regarding a destination ended up in that destination's forum, then the traffic levels would be appropriate, surely.

I also agree with TRRed's suggestion about some consolidation with LocalTalk.

And thanks to attorney28 for the update.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Any recent developments?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:56 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Final discussions on this matter are ongoing in the TalkBoard forum.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.