Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travelers Cheques: AmEx or Visa or does it not make a difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:43 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have always traveled with AmEx Travelers Cheques. They are getting harder and harder to find/buy at reasonable rates. ( AAA now carries VISA). I am hesitate to make the switch to Visa Travelers Cheques just because of habit....I was wondering if AmEx is still the best or am I just a "victim" of their good advertising.....and the others are no "less acceptable" worldwide.....
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by david4455
I have always traveled with AmEx Travelers Cheques. They are getting harder and harder to find/buy at reasonable rates. ( AAA now carries VISA). I am hesitate to make the switch to Visa Travelers Cheques just because of habit....I was wondering if AmEx is still the best or am I just a "victim" of their good advertising.....and the others are no "less acceptable" worldwide.....

Ive never had a problem with either.
Some countries, such as Australia or the US, credit cards are all you need
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:20 am
Scandalous

Last edited by Scandalous; Nov 15, 2005 at 9:19 pm Reason: Deleted by user due to uneasiness with flyertalk censorship policies.

Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
My experience, in the past three years, is that you can get money from an ATM in almost every country, including Vietnam, Molodova, Thailand and ROmania. The only time I have had trouble was in Ireland, strangely enough. No trouble getting Euros in the airport in Dublin, but after that the connection timed out EVERY time we tried an ATM, for two weeks. Because our debit card has the Visa logo we could take money out at banks, with no fee. It also worked fine in stores, as a charge or debit card. I am still not sure why our experience in Ireland was so weird, but we got by just fine.
Have a good time!
Kate
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:08 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I totally understand that ATM's are the way to go and I just got my first card a few weeks ago... but in Mexico where I go ( San Miguel de Allende) there are money exchange kiosks all around and the rates are very favorable.....the last time my father visited us there he had trouble with the ATM's ........... as I have heard other visitor's to San Miguel lament.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 12:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Any of the recognizable brands like Amex or Visa or Cooks will be just fine.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Scandalous
I tend to believe that in this day and age, travelers cheques are a relic of a bygone era. Damn near anyplace you go these days you can either use an ATM card or a credit card and in the places where they don't have ATM's and don't accept credit cards, it is unlikely your travelers cheques are going to do you much good either.

Just my opinion.
Amen. If you really feel the need to carry a cash alternative, try a prepaid Visa Travelcard. You can load up as much as you want, and they are more easily canceled and refunded if lost or stolen. Also much better exchange rate than travelers cheques. As for myself, I usually stash a couple of $100s and $20s for emergency exchange. US currency is still the easiest to exchange particularly in 3rd world countries though that may change if the $ keeps falling.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:51 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
..... As for myself, I usually stash a couple of $100s and $20s for emergency exchange. ....
I do the same, & also get some foreign currency before leaving, if possible. I never use traveler's cheques. Never had a problem with the ATM, including in Ireland (north & south).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.