Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Flight Attendant Morale to Reach All Time Low

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Flight Attendant Morale to Reach All Time Low

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Delta Flight Attendant Morale to Reach All Time Low

Starting in January, Delta Air Lines' flight attendants will be required to "evaluate" at least three of their peers a month.

This less than brilliant move by Delta management is meant to improve customer service in the skies. Delta flight attendants, however, have a different perspective, as shown in this top secret petition obtained by Queen of Sky:

(address to [email protected], director of Delta In-flight Service)

"Dear Paulette:

I have been a Delta flight attendant for X years.
I ,as well as many of my colleagues are concerned with peer evaluations. These concerns include:

1. Evaluations could affect our salary or career goals because they are not completed by management
2. This could create an enormous amount of animosity among peers. Evaluators will be held liable for their judgement. We work together as a team and should not conquer and divide.
3. Flight attendants will work the system to evaluate people they know, like, dislike or with whom they may have a personal vendetta.
4. Discussions and comparisons may not protect individual rights of privacy.
5. Flights are minimum staffed and we need to utilize our time providing passenger service. We are paid to provide passenger service and safety, not to manage. Our human resource and operational managers have been interviewd, selected and trained in management. They are qualified to evaluate.
6. Flight attendants have pride in their work, they want Delta to succeed.
7. This is not the atmosphere to institute such a degrading system.
8. Don't resort to turning such a wonderful employee group against each other."

Thoughts? Comments?

-Q of S
:-:
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:53 pm

Sounds like we have a less than stellar performer who is fearful of what her coworkers will say about her.

I have found that the flight attendants, customer service reps, and even the pilots have bee extremely positive and friendly recently; even after the announced cuts.

I think it is great that DL is asking employees to rate their piers. Maybe now, the occassional flight attendant who won't get off his or her duff will decide to pitch in. About time!

DL has the best flight attendants out there (ESPECIALLY those that have been MCO based)! This can only lead to them being even better.

Of course, I am sad to see the MCO base disappear

Marc
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Marq
Sounds like we have a less than stellar performer who is fearful of what her coworkers will say about her.
Wrong Marc, I didn't write that letter and I don't even work for Delta, therefore have nothing to gain by posting it.

I am just trying to show Delta's frequent flyers why there may be a marked shift in flight attendant morale next year.

-Q of S :-:
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL FO, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Marq
I think it is great that DL is asking employees to rate their piers. Maybe now, the occassional flight attendant who won't get off his or her duff will decide to pitch in. About time!
Seems that alot of "old-line" companies have entrenched employees that need a career change. Peer review is a valuable tool... it might just help things out.

Last edited by prvtpilot1; Nov 10, 2004 at 7:20 am
Old Nov 9, 2004, 10:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Business and industry has long employed a system to evaluate sub-ordinates, peers and superiors. It’s been known by many names over the years but the latest euphemism is a “ 360 Degree Evaluation”.
I have no problem with this practice whatsoever and feel it can provide positive feedback for an employee from a variety of sources.
Who knows the work habits of their fellow workers better than the ones who work alongside them? Is there potential for abuse in the system? Certainly but that’s why an effective program will compare the evaluations from a combination of subordinates, peers and superiors.
If an employee gets from all three groups, I’d say there may be a problem that needs a little further investigation.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:14 pm

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Hmm, last time Delta brings "enhancements", their program gets turned upside down and good staff get furloughed.

Sorry, I just don't trust airlines as much anymore, especially since I got a call from the DL gestapo on a mileage run a few years ago.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Sorry, I just don't trust airlines as much anymore, especially since I got a call from the DL gestapo on a mileage run a few years ago.
Can you elaborate on that one? Maybe it's worth its own thread. If DL has a gestapo, do they have SS as well?
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:11 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QueenofSky
Starting in January, Delta Air Lines' flight attendants will be required to "evaluate" at least three of their peers a month.

Thoughts? Comments?

-Q of S
Totally fair IMO, as long as DL employees get the chance to evaluate their supervisors and high management as well

Last edited by thesaints; Nov 10, 2004 at 1:11 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by QueenofSky

Thoughts? Comments?

-Q of S
Firstly, The FAs I know don't seem to feel that their morale is at an all time low. I think that happened a few months back.

Second, I don't know enough about the detailed workings of the proposed scheme to know whether or not the concerns expressed may have some validity, but I do know that Delta needs to do something to ensure that their FAs do the best job possible in a highly competitive market. The ultimate judge is the customer but peer review may be easier to administer than a customer review system. While many DL FAs are simply excellent there are some that are clearly just along for the ride. Everybody needs to do their share and peer review might help achieve that.

I give it a tentative ^ .
Old Nov 10, 2004, 9:19 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
I seem to recall that CO put a similar program into place when Bethune picked up the reins. At the time I believe the budget needed cutting, ergo the staff needed cutting. People were evaluated on a scale of 1-4 where 4 was the worst. The 4’s were told they were the pits and if no improvement was shown they would be saying the big goodbye. As I mentioned, the memory is a bit rusty but perhaps this is a precursor to DL determining which staff to cut.

J.Edward
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:14 am

I agree. Peer evaluation is used quite effectively in many organizations today. This, along with other types of evaluation, can be used to reward and retain the best employees.

Originally Posted by Cholula
Business and industry has long employed a system to evaluate sub-ordinates, peers and superiors. It’s been known by many names over the years but the latest euphemism is a “ 360 Degree Evaluation”.
I have no problem with this practice whatsoever and feel it can provide positive feedback for an employee from a variety of sources.
Who knows the work habits of their fellow workers better than the ones who work alongside them? Is there potential for abuse in the system? Certainly but that’s why an effective program will compare the evaluations from a combination of subordinates, peers and superiors.
If an employee gets from all three groups, I’d say there may be a problem that needs a little further investigation.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:03 am

Thank God we didn't have this at UAL

The vindictiveness and cattiness of our FAs could be astounding. This might work if you were randomly selected a FA to evaluate. If you could evalute that b**** whose had it out for you since basic training she might be in trouble...
Old Nov 10, 2004, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by electra
The vindictiveness and cattiness of our FAs could be astounding. This might work if you were randomly selected a FA to evaluate. If you could evalute that b**** whose had it out for you since basic training she might be in trouble...
Remember that the objectiveness of those evaluating is also in the spotlight in such schemes. Over a period of time the stats speak for themselves.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:18 pm

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
Actually, the 360 evaluation comparison is interesting, but it doesn't really hold up. As another member pointed out, this says nothing of being able to evaluate the management.

Also, I can't think of a single company where there was a requirement to evaluate three colleagues per month.

I'd have a few questions: how are the people to be evaluated chosen? How will the evaluations be used - some people suggest layoffs/terminations. If improperly implemented I could see this being a big morale buster and one more way to make a union seem appealing.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I will find out more details, tarmacsitting, and let you know.

I don't think the flight attendants know how the evaluations may be used (i.e. for discipline, termination, etc.) But I shall consult my confidential sources on that one.

And electra is right, there is already enough cattiness and back-stabbing among Delta flight attendants. Adding fuel to the fire could be dangerous indeed.

CelticFlyer, Delta flight attendants' morale could sink even lower when this system is implemented. They are also receiving additional paycuts next year. THey already took one round of cuts in July, along with the new bidding system.

And it is my understanding that there is no option to evaluate your managers, as well. It is purely one-sided.

-Q of S :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.