Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The unofficial FAQ. Everything the newbie wants to know. And some things they don't.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The unofficial FAQ. Everything the newbie wants to know. And some things they don't.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:35 am
Original Poster

It's all changing! Very little of what follows is right any more. Will update it all properly when the dust settles. This remains for the moment as a reminder of "what you could have won"...

With the recent star status match, a lot of people are interested in joining Diamond Club (DC), and due to the fairly pants design of the bmi website they have a lot of questions. Bond Boy’s post made me think a thread answering the most common might be in order, and with little to do on a Saturday afternoon, I thought I might take a stab at writing it. So here goes – please post any additions or corrections and I’ll update the main post.

38K for Star Gold? That’s a steal! Let me at it!

Yes, you only need to 38,000 miles to keep your gold card. But you have to earn silver first (unless you’re comped, obviously). And that’s 16,000 miles. So from a standing start (ie no status) you need 54,000. You may find Air Canada slightly easier at only 35,000 in a calendar year.

OK, so I have a calendar year to make 54K?

Would that it were so simple. DC members have their own, personalised year. This is how it works: you join on say April 23rd 2004. You start flying. By September 21st you’ve earned 16,000 miles. They make you silver. They reset your status miles to zero. Your year then starts again, and you have until September 21st 2005 to make your status again with 16,000 miles. But if you fly 38,000 miles by May 18th you made gold. Your year point starts again. Your status miles balance is reset to zero. Once you've made Gold, you then have a year from the date you made your status to renew it. If you renew early, it still runs for the full year like a regular FFP.

That’s kind of complicated

Yeah, but it also kind of works once you get used to it. Actually, I think it’s fairer than the calendar year system many FFPs use.

What if I have 15,500 status miles and a 5000 mile flight pushes me over the threshold? You said my status miles return to zero – do I lose 4500 miles?

Yes, the computer will reset you to zero. That’s just the way computers work. But if you call DC and explain, they’ll credit the 4,500 miles to your account. No-one has ever had a problem with this.

All this flying is so tiresome. Can't I just buy the status?

There are two reports on the forum, one from uk1 and one from Kovich of being offered silver for Ł95 when you would otherwise have dropped from silver to blue. More reports on this would be welcome; particularly if anyone has been offered the opportunity when dropping from gold to silver.

Can anyone join?

You need to be a resident of (or at least have the use of an address in) UK, Republic of Ireland, Belgium, France, The Netherlands or Spain. (This list is taken from the T&C, but other people have had success from other countries – feedback welcome.)

Great, I’m going to sign up my whole family – including all my kids

Only if they’re over the age of 18.

Do they comp?

Yes they do. They won’t comp you from a *A member, though. They particularly like members of BA’s Executive Club. YMMV.

OK, so what do I get as silver?

Not much. 20kg extra baggage allowance. Access to Diamond Club lounges on bmi operated flights. Preferential check-in queues. A friendly welcome from Frances.

Who’s Frances?

Ask ajamieson.

But what I’m really here for is gold. What’s the deal?

The main benefits are the regular *G status perks, principally *G check-in and lounge access, priority on operational upgrade lists and the like. Also, gold members have Virgin Clubhouse access when flying VS and access to SAA lounges when flying South African.

You get four bmi upgrade vouchers per year. These are space available and you can’t request them until check-in. You go from economy to business on short-haul routes, and economy to new economy on long-haul routes. You cannot officially use them from new economy to the business on long-haul, although some have reported limited success attempting this (although as far as I can recall only in the early days of the long-haul operation).

You also get four Avis double upgrade vouchers. Again, these are space available and can only be used when you pick up your vehicle (although if you call Avis and get a note put in your PNR this seems to help). I’ve never heard of an upgrade not being available (although at smaller locations in busy periods I’m sure it could happen).

What about a status bonus

If you are silver or gold, you get a 25% bonus on your Destinations Miles (not your Status Miles). This bonus only applies to flown miles (not hotel and car miles etc), and you don’t get the 25% bonus on your Class of Service bonus (GoldCircle does the maths for you here). It applies to miles flown on all *A carriers, as well as bmi partners Virgin and South African.

So there’s a COS bonus?

Check the charts, but as a rule of thumb you get double miles for business, and triple for first. And yes, your COS bonus counts for status.

The Diamond Club Lounge? Is that the same as the Business Lounge?

Yes and no. bmi operates two lounges at most locations. However, they are virtually identical. In the Diamond Club lounge, the self-serve spirits are free pour. In the Business Class lounge, the self-serve spirits are in optics. There’s a slightly better food and drink selection in the Diamond Club lounge. The Diamond Club lounge is normally quieter.

So, do I earn miles on all fares?

Pretty much (although Stut suggests you avoid G fares on bmi). A full table of fare earning classes is linked to at the bottom of this post. However, you earn reduced mileage (25% - 50%) on short-haul discounted economy when flying with bmi. Discounted fares on all other *A carriers generally earn full miles. Discounted fares on bmi transatlantic services earn full miles.

Ah. Is this the “mileage thievery” of which you all speak?

Yes it is.

Bummer. How can I get round it?

Many bmi flights operate under *A codeshares. It is often possible to find LH marketing the same bmi operated flight at a similar price (sometimes a few pounds more expensive, sometimes a few pounds cheaper). If you book the LH codeshare, you are technically eligible for full miles. However, in all likelihood the computer will credit the miles as if you were on a bmi flight. Write in to them, as GoldCircle suggests here. Don’t phone them up, it confuses them.

Are there minimum mileages?

Yes. Mileage thievery notwithstanding, you get 600 for a UK domestic route and 800 for all other routes.

bmibaby have some great fares. Do I earn miles?

No you don’t. And your status counts for nothing (although bounty reports they've started letting you have lounge access). You can, however, redeem awards on bmibaby. And it’s a Low Cost Carrier, so if they’re mean to you don’t come here and whinge.

So I’ve got my status and I’ve earned me some miles. Tell me about the free flights!

Ok. First up you need to book further in advance than with some FFPs. You need to book flights on bmi at least seven days out. Gold members have this reduced to three days. Gold members also get upgraded (economy to business shorthaul, economy to new economy longhaul) gratis on award flights, space available.

What about award flights on *A airlines?

See the tables linked to at the bottom for rates. From reports on the forum, availability seems to be similar to that in other FFPs (eg SQ First Class is hard to find).

And other partner airlines?

You can earn (destinations miles only – not status) and redeem on Virgin and South African.

And I can use miles and cash?

You sure can, on *A partners. One of the best features of DC is that you can pony up a few hundred quid and this halves the mileage requirement. This makes flying in the premium cabins longhaul quite easy. See the charts.

Do they have a credit card?

Yes they do. In fact they have 2. Either 1.5 miles per Ł for a no-fee card, or 2 miles per Ł for Ł60 pa fee. Double miles for purchase at flybmi.com. Details here. UK residents only.

Also, members of Amex Membership Rewards can transfer points to their DC account (although you need to be an Amex member in the UK, France, Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands to do this; this list is taken from the bmi guide and I’m not sure it’s 100% accurate – any feedback?).

Do I need 2 bmi boarding stubs and a ticket receipt to join? That’s what the application form says?

Nah, they’re just playing hard to get. They’ll sign you up without the stubs, or with stubs for a *A partner.

I don’t believe you. You’ve made all this up. Where can I get real info?

A guide to member benefits is here. The programme rules are at the bottom of the pdf.
A guide to earning and spending miles is here. It’s slightly out of date (eg LOT is now a full *A member, so you earn status miles).
Barella has kindly posted much of this info on his site.
And of course, if you’re comparing with other *A FFP’s your very first port of call should be Blondebombers Star Alliance Comparison Guide.

Last edited by Wingnut; Jun 23, 2005 at 7:05 am Reason: Fixing the links following the FT upgrade...
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:48 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Superb compilation !

Thanks to Wingnut!
Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:15 pm

well done... and well written too. Thank you
Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!

I agree wholeheartedly.
This is brilliant Wingnut!
If we ever meet, I owe you a pint, or maybe another Toffe Crisp if you wish

cheers
AJ

Old Mar 15, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Superb Wingnut....many thanks
Old Mar 15, 2004, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MP
Stunning, 'standing ovation'

If we ever meet, the next drink's on me!

Old Mar 15, 2004, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
A very fine piece of work.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:47 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
have been waiting all weekend for this, looked good from the subject title, and turned out to be every bit as good as i had been expecting

touché

P
Old Mar 16, 2004, 3:38 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Good job!
Old Mar 16, 2004, 3:54 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
brilliant!

Q. Do you get the elite bonus on all star flights? Ive noticed Lufthansa miles and more has now restricted the bonus to just a few.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:43 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thank you VERY much!!! This covers 99% of my questions about bmi DC.

Please remember me to buy you a beer or a cocktail if we meet on any flyertalk DO!
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Fantastic stuff !!.

I am at 'crunch time' at the moment to get my KLM PE status matched and cannot decide on M&M or DC. I was going for M&M but they've just introduced some 'enhancements' that seem to have upset a few SEN's so I am now having second thoughts.

Decisions, decisions......
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:41 am
Original Poster

[blushes] You're really all too kind. [/blushes]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by simonsmith:
Q. Do you get the elite bonus on all star flights?</font>
Yes, or at least all *A flights that are eligible for mileage accrual. I'll clarify this in the main post.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:23 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
And you get the 25% bonus on SAA and VS flights also.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:15 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Great work, Wingnut. Thanks.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.