Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

Wife (permanent resident) traveling with infant (US citizen)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2004, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Mrs. Swede (permanent resident, Green Card holder) will be travelling to Sweden this December with Baby Swede (soon-to-be US passport holder). I will be joining them a few days later. What documentation will Mrs. Swede need to carry and present the airlines authorizing her to travel with Baby Swede overseas?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:55 am

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
swedish contacts in USA

Information from the State department:

SWEDEN - *Passport required. Visa not required for a stay of up to 90 days. (**90-day period begins when entering Schengen countries.) For further information, consult the Embassy of Sweden, 1501 M St., NW, Washington, DC 20005-1702 (202/467-2600) or nearest Consulate General: CA (310/445-4008), New York (212/583-2550), or any other Consulate of Sweden in the United States. Internet: www.swedenny.com

I'd call them just to make sure
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:55 am

Mrs Swede will need a letter from Daddy Swede giving her permission to take tiny Swede on the trip, signed and possibly even witnessed. I travel a bit with one of our 3 children and have been asked for this letter a few times, I had it luckily.

I was also a permanent resident in Canada (Now I am a Citizen), I suppose they suspect us foreigners of running off with baby to our place of birth whilst Daddy's back is turned.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Mrs Swede will need a letter from Daddy Swede giving her permission to take tiny Swede on the trip, signed and possibly even witnessed. I travel a bit with one of our 3 children and have been asked for this letter a few times, I had it luckily.
So a notarized letter should work, right?

I suppose they suspect us foreigners of running off with baby to our place of birth whilst Daddy's back is turned.
That is what Mrs. Swede is worried about.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
So a notarized letter should work, right?

That is what Mrs. Swede is worried about.

Yes, the notarised letter is exactly what she will need, they may never ask for it, but legally she should have it.

A note to add, when I was returning to Canada from the UK last week I did not have the letter, the customs officer asked for it, told me off for not having one and questioned my 5 year old, asked her where she had been, where she was going and where Daddy was etc. Fortunately he was at the airport waiting for us, as the officer was not impressed and reminded me repeatedly of the need for a notarised letter for each and every trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.