Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT 24 Aug 2009: Sheraton Gateway San Francisco Airport Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT 24 Aug 2009: Sheraton Gateway San Francisco Airport Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Arrow LEFT 24 Aug 2009: Sheraton Gateway San Francisco Airport Hotel [Master Thread]

Just stayed there on a Monday night. The hotel was sold out. I had the reservation, via spg.com, for a month. I'm a Platinum.

I was preassigned a room as there was a packet made up with my name on it when I arrived at 9:45PM. There is a Club Level, the 15th floor, that has 31 rooms and a Club Lounge.

This property is more like a 4Points than a Sheraton. Here is what I got:

No upgrade to the Club Floor, no suite, standard "cookie cutter" room. After seeing the room I went back and asked if a Club Level room was available? None were.
Room had cheesy version of the Sweet Sleeper Bed. A comforter, a fleece blanket a sheet and a sheet. The mattress was suspect.
Good amenities, i.e., robe, toiletries, etc.
Fairly nice bar. Good selection of wines.
Fast room service with good food.
No bill under the door, but USA Today was there.
The lounge breakfast was minimal.
Good rate of $103/night

This is a good "point accumulator" property, 500 Plat. gift + $ points. I'd give it a 6 on a 1-10 scale. I just came off five nights at a W and Westin, so I was understandably disappointed here. Probably will look elsewhere for future stays
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
When parking charges began there was the last time I stayed. I'd rather stay at the Four Points, with no lounge, a decent restaurant (in the dinner hours, can't vouch for breakfast), free DSL, parking, and closer to the airport. I always thought of the Gateway as adequate, problematic at times, a bit inconvenient, and nothing special.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:11 am
Original Poster

I was told my AAA rate included parking. Thus, I did not pay for parking.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When parking charges began there was the last time I stayed. I'd rather stay at the Four Points, with no lounge, a decent restaurant (in the dinner hours, can't vouch for breakfast), free DSL, parking, and closer to the airport. I always thought of the Gateway as adequate, problematic at times, a bit inconvenient, and nothing special.
I'd tend to agree with the above except the Gateway does have one redeeming quality - the shuttle to/from the airport runs a lot more frequently than the 4Pts. Then again, the duplex rooms at the 4Pts more than make up for the long wait to get there....
Old Sep 22, 2004, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
This is quite a decent property, actually. I found good weekend rates there for mattress runs. Sometimes there are special rates that include food credit and/or parking. The setting is quite nice; you can walk to, and along, the bayshore, and watch planes land. Also, the restaurant is very good -- MUCH better than the very limited-service restaurant at the Four Points SFO.

I don't understand why so many Platinums think they are "entitled" to suite upgrades -- especially in a sold-out property!

Oh -- and all versions of the Sweet Sleeper Bed that I have slept in at any Sheraton, thus far, have been pretty "cheesy." Nowhere near as good as either the Westin Heavenly or the W Signature!
Old Sep 22, 2004, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by ConsultantFlyer
I'd tend to agree with the above except the Gateway does have one redeeming quality - the shuttle to/from the airport runs a lot more frequently than the 4Pts. Then again, the duplex rooms at the 4Pts more than make up for the long wait to get there....

I'm sure this used to be true, but I believe the Sheraton Gateway shuttle now runs only every 30 minutes. It tends to run on time from the hotel, which is convenient for planning. But after a long flight Sunday night, it was not pleasant to stand at the bus stop for 25 minutes watching all the other hotel shuttles come and go. I thought maybe the decreased frequency was only for late nights, but when returning to the airport at 8:30 Monday morning I was surprised to find that 30 minutes is the frequency even at peak times. I guess this is the tradeoff with having a dedicated shuttle that only serves the Sheraton.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

I don't understand why so many Platinums think they are "entitled" to suite upgrades -- especially in a sold-out property!
I completely understand not getting a suite. After all, many properties have few suites in them. However, I am disappointed not to make the Club Level floor. I'm new this year to SPG and this was stay number 20 for me. Also, this was the first stay where I did not get an upgrade to at least Club Level.

You are right about the surroundings being nice. I had a great view from my room.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can you actually get to the shore from the hotel by walking? are there good views of the planes landing? does it make it loud?

have there been any renovations recently at this property? and one more question...is the club level lounge open on weekends?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:47 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Hi. I stayed at Sheraton SFO 3 times on weekends in November, and was just there last weekend.

The Club Lounge was open on the weekends in November. I was very impressed with the food; especially in the evening. Liquor was free.

Last weekend the Lounge was closed, however, I spoke to the Admin. for G.M. yesterday, and the Club reopened (after the holidays) yesterday.

I really like Channel 17 - airline arrival and departure info. for all SFO flights; including intl. carriers. They also have some great listening music plugged into the channel which I enjoyed. The only thing was that the AA info. had stopped working.

I will probably be there this weekend (am doing a BOS-SFO nonstop run this weekend).

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:27 am

Programs: MP absolute nobody
I would highly suggest you stay at the nearby Westin, or the 4p's. I switched from PL stays last year to paid *wood stays in order to reap the benefits of the program. As a lowly gold at every hotel, except for the SFO Sheraton I have very positive experiences. I can find it but last September I posted a Trip Report about my first negative experience.

The last straw was the first week in December, I booked a the sweet sleeper rate which includes a food credit/parking/ and club access. Upon checking in I was given a room on the 5th floor, I told the desk person that I understood that my rate only included access to the lounge, but if there was a possibility of being on the club level for convenience. I was told no that they were sold out and that I was lucky to get a room, ok well the website says different, just prior to checking in I checked the website and they were still selling rooms including club levels, but anyways I took the room, and reminded the desk person that my rate included a food credit, the agitated desk agent said" look I already gave you free parking what else do you want", I said just what I am entitled to if you would look at the rate you would see that I already get that for free.

I went to my room, and promptly wrote my letter to starwood and decided to speak with the MOD in the morning, well I went down to checkout and the manager was speaking with another employee at the desk and said she would be right with me. I then proceeded to overhear the manager on duty, (not sure of the spelling but similar to Eiyou), speak with the employee about preassigning rooms for incoming elites, the employee was having a problem because the elite had in his comments that he needed an handicap room but there were none left on the club floor to assign to the plat, the manager said oh well just give him run of the house and see if he complains, the manager then told the employee to ignore the requests in all of the elites files and just give them regular rooms and see if they complain. At this point I decided to never stay again and have been staying at the Westin ever since and have been treated like "gold".

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is it easy to get to the city from this hotel using BART?
Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is it easy to get to the city from this hotel using BART?
Yes, except that the shuttle schedule is every half hour (leaves the hotel at :00 and :30) so your connection back may be a little long. You can make it all the way downtown from the airport BART station.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:26 am

Programs: spg
This place is a DUMP! An airport transition hotel. Bad service because they know that everybody is in transit.

I've stayed there more times than you can imagine. Here are the downsides:

1. Front desk often doesn't answer the phones
2. Rooms are dated and show wear
3. Low water pressure in the morning
4. Card reader in the elevators often doesn't work for club level
5. No bill under the door on check-out (must stand in line in the morning)
6. 1 out of 3 nights no turn-down service (understaffed?)
7. No suites or upgrades. All rooms are the same. Plat floor has free water and better chocolate at turn-down
8. Generally poor and unresponsive staff

The free breakfast is pretty good (fresh fruit and pastries).

Overall this hotel is VERY poorly managed.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

any recent experience ?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:28 pm

The Westin SFO is much better property and you could usually get a $99 rate using AAA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.