Smoking in Terminal C, EWR?

Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Smoking in Terminal C, EWR?

I was just looking at the EWR website and was surprised to read "**Smoking is prohibited in all public areas inside the passenger terminals at Newark International Airport with the exception of specifically designated areas within the liquor bars, where smoking is permitted."

Is it still true that there are places where smoking is allowed in EWR? Is there such a bar in Terminal C?
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
The common areas (hallways, gate areas) of Terminal C are all smoke-free, but I believe that some (if not all) of the bars allow smoking. Otherwise, forget it. They have the constant pre-recorded announcements to remind you in case you forget, along with the fact that you shouldn't leave your bags unattended.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cory6188
They have the constant pre-recorded announcements to remind you in case you forget, along with the fact that you shouldn't leave your bags unattended.
I would never leave my bags unattended -- I keep my cigarettes in them!

I will be getting off of a 12 hour flight from TLV and have two hours before getting on a 3 hour flight to FLL. If I can smoke in a bar, that will be wonderful -- otherwise I will run outside which might not be a lot of fun seeing as I will be dressed for TLV and FLL, not for Newark in November.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 7:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
I will be getting off of a 12 hour flight from TLV and have two hours before getting on a 3 hour flight to FLL. If I can smoke in a bar, that will be wonderful -- otherwise I will run outside which might not be a lot of fun seeing as I will be dressed for TLV and FLL, not for Newark in November.
It's been many years since I last saw anyone smoking inside EWR, even in the bars (and as a smoker myself, I've looked!). Since you have to exit the secure area anyhow after clearing customs, you may as well duck outside for a smoke between flights. I don't think you'll have a chance after you clear EWR security on your way to FLL.

My recommendation is to go to the security checkpoint closest to terminal B. To the right of the checkpoint is an exit to a terrace that is somewhat protected from the elements and offers a place to sit, a nice view of the action on the tarmac and the runways, and none of the hubub of the loading/unloading of pax you'd get if you went outside the check-in or baggage claim levels.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Dov... Agflyer is correct... the terrace right outside of security closest to Terminal B is the "nicest" place for a smoke. It also doesn't get to crowded because it's a bit out of sight.

I haven't found a bar in terminal C to have a cigarette. But again, I stay outside of security and monitor the lines.

So.. just when are you visiting my adopted fair state? I may just have to take a ride to EWR and allow you to have a smoke in my new car with it's special talisman .

PM me.

Mary
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by agflyer
It's been many years since I last saw anyone smoking inside EWR, even in the bars (and as a smoker myself, I've looked!).
I think you're right about that when it comes to Terminal C, but on the Northwest concourse in Terminal B there is a bar (forget the name, something pseudo-Irish) that still allows smoking.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agflyer
To the right of the checkpoint is an exit to a terrace that is somewhat protected from the elements and offers a place to sit, a nice view of the action on the tarmac and the runways, and none of the hubub of the loading/unloading of pax you'd get if you went outside the check-in or baggage claim levels.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
So.. just when are you visiting my adopted fair state? I may just have to take a ride to EWR and allow you to have a smoke in my new car with it's special talisman .

PM me.

Mary
A tough decision...only two hours between flights (and I have to clear Customs with my checked luggage)...I can get a smoke and view the action on the tarmac...or I can meet with Mary and try to get some action in her car...but possibly not have time for a smoke afterwards...what to do?...what to do?

PM is on its way!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:35 am

Mary2e - be careful, the flight from TLV arrives at 5 AM...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Apirchik, not even for Mary would I be up and around at 5 am!

I am taking the flight which leaves here at 11:15 am and arrives in EWR at 4:35 pm.

There is, after all, such a thing as being civilized!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:29 am

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:18 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
When you arrive in Newark on an international flight you have to go thru immigration, then customs. This will then put you OUTSIDE security, so you will have to be screened again in any case if you have a connecting flight.

After exiting customs, it is a very short walk to an outdoor spot where you can smoke.

SunLover
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by apirchik
Mary2e - be careful, the flight from TLV arrives at 5 AM...
Not even for Dov would I get to the airport to meet a 5am flight .

As always, he's considerate and is arriving at a human hour in the afternoon!

Mary
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986
I think you're right about that when it comes to Terminal C, but on the Northwest concourse in Terminal B there is a bar (forget the name, something pseudo-Irish) that still allows smoking.
There's a smoking section in Terminal A as well, in TGIF's I think (or is it a Chili's?) - but, alas, it's outside of security.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:57 pm

Cool

Long time lurker.....previous poster......I can tell you for CERTAIN that there is no place to smoke at Terminal C in EWR.....unless you visit the "lanai" (outside Terminal C.....door closest to Terminal B........lovely place with lots of ambience)
Old Sep 18, 2004, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

I have changed my flight. Instead of taking the 6:40 pm flight to FLL, I am going to take the 7:05 pm flight to PBI.

This gives me 2 1/2 hours in New Jersey, allowing me both to have two or more smokes and spend some time with Mary2E on the lanai (whatever the heck that is).

It does, however, mean that I have to sacrifice dinner. Continental only serves it on 3 hour flights in F that leave before 7 pm. Although I am certain that this is a major gastronomical loss for me, Mary has offered to make it up for me by bringing me a kosher salami on rye sandwich.

All is well with the world!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.