Wiki Posts
Search

RTW to HKG, OZ, Fiji and South America

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
RTW to HKG, OZ, Fiji and South America

I guess it's never too late for a trip report to be posted. My second RTW took place in March 2004, and I started to write it already during spring, but lost the text as I had to change my PC. Now let's try again.

With my friend, we started planning for this trip in last year’s autumn. Last year we had also done a RTW to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Argentina and Mexico. For this trip we decided to visit some of the old places and a few new one. We bought OneWorld Alliance's Global Explorer tickets in business class (DGLOBEX34) with the following itinerary: HEL-HKG-BNE-SYD-AKL-NAN-AKL-SCL-MDZ/SCL-LIM-CUZ-JUL-AQP-LIM-JFK-HEL. As I had some spare time in December, I decided to go to Cairo to buy my RTW ticket and save some money. In addition to the Global Explorer ticket, I had to buy separate tickets for AKL-NAN-AKL (Visit South Pacific Pass), SCL-MDZ and AQP-JUL-AQP. As my friend wanted to visit BKK, he started his trip a week earlier and we met in Brisbane.

And here's how the trip went:

AY 091 HEL-HKG (with 1 stop in BKK)
seat: 1H
MD-11
23:50-19:30+1

From previous experiences I knew that HEL airport wouldn't be very busy in the late evening, but I left home early, as I wanted to visit AY's long-haul lounge and have something to eat there. Check-in was fast and I got the seat I had reserved earlier through AY's business class phone service. The check-in staff didn't mention the long-haul lounge, but I went straight there after some duty-free shopping. The lounge wasn't very crowded and I soon found a place to sit and went to get some (very) light salad dinner from the buffet table. A desert lemon-pie was also offered. No announcement was made for boarding the BKK-HKG plane, but I went early enough to the gate and saw that boarding had already started (without long lines).

On board I was directed to my seat in the front cabin. After having stored my bag in the overhead locker, I was offered water, OJ or champagne (from the Iittala glasses used by AY's long-haul business class). I enjoyed my champagne watching around, as the business class cabin was soon full with a few businessmen, but also some couples who were mostly traveling to BKK. Only one seat was left open (which according to a crew member wasn't functioning properly). Also the second business class cabin was full. Menus were offered. Amenity kits are no longer offered on AY's business class, however socks and earplugs are available. All other amenities such as toothbrushes and razors are in the lavs.

After an on time take-off, the crew started a round of drinks as well as hot towels and soon after linens were laid for the dinner, which was served on a tray. Starters were ready placed on the tray. After that we had to wait for over 40 minutes to get the entree, because turbulence started when we entered the Russian airspace (I’ve noticed that it’s the same experience when you enter Russia by road or rail). It was getting very late when I finished my desert. The crew understood to take trays away as soon as passengers had finished and hand out pillows and duvet in order to get some sleep. I think duvets are much better in business class that blankets. I doze off almost right away and didn't even browse what the IFE had to offer. I remember waking up after a few hours of sleeping, a bottle of water had appeared next to me and the FA was serving small smoked reindeer sandwiches. As I didn't feel like sleeping more, I went to walk around and saw that Y-class was also full. The IFE offered Finnish and American movies as well as some short comedies and documentaries.

An hour before landing hot towels were given again and linens lay on the table. Breakfast was also ready on a tray. Champagne was also offered for breakfast but I preferred apple juice. After breakfast the cabin was soon prepared for landing, and I don't even remember if there was a round of duty-free. We landed on time at BKK. People at the golf track were watching as AY's MD-11 was passing and some even took photos. Passengers continuing to HKG were requested to stay on board during the stop, however some passengers went to the terminal (probably for smoking). The crew on the HEL-HKG leg was nice and efficient, but clearly seniors at AY. In BKK the crew was also changed.

From BKK to HKG the passenger loads were much lighter: less than 50% in business and probably even less in economy. The crew for the BKK-HKG leg proved to be as professional as the earlier one (a very senior AY staff also). A lunch was served in the same manner as dinner and breakfast had been served. Before lunch we got the usual drink round. Arrival in HKG was also on time. Both doors could be used for exiting the aircraft. There was a long line for passport control, but it went reasonably fast. My bag arrived among the first ones as it had a priority tag on it.

Menu:

Supper:
Smoked pike-perch and smoke salmon mousse
---
Pike soufflé with crayfish sauce (my choice)
or
Roasted lamb with balsamic sauce, gratinated potatoes
---
Raspberry sabayon

Breakfast:
Fresh fruit salad
Spinach-crepe with cheese sauce

Lunch (BKK-HKG):
Smoked snow fish
---
Tiger prawns Chinese style, pineapple fried rice (my choice)
or
Grilled chicken breast with tomato salsa, egg noodles
---
Mascarpone tart with mango coulis

Wines:
Champagne Comte Audoin de Dampierre Family Reserve Grand Cru 1996
---
Chassagne-Montrachet 1998, Antonin Rodet, Cotes de Beaune, Bourgogne, France (white)
---
Illivio 2000, Livio Felluga, Colli Orientali del Friuli Bianco, Italy (white)
---
Chateau la Pointe 1999, Appelation Pomerol Controlee, Bordeaux, France (red)
---
Kevin Arnold Shiraz 2002-Michael Ian, Waterford Wine Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa (red)
---
Chateau Guiraud 1997, Premier Cru Classe, Sauternes, France (sweet)
---
Niepoort 20 Years Old Tawny, Port Portugal, Niepoort SA (port)

In HKG I bought a 3-day transport pass including train from and to the airport. In Hong Kong I spent two nights at the Sheraton in Kowloon (got it through Priceline). Sheraton's rooms were comfortable but small. During my two days in Hong Kong I some saw friends and walked around a lot (Central, the Peak, Wan-Chai, Stanley, Kowloon, Temple Street market, etc). I tried the double deck tram, but couldn't stand up upstairs. Shopping included a digital camera (my first one) from a store recommended by a friend. I enjoyed my stay in Hong Kong, especially Hollywood Road's antique stores and all the crap at Temple Street as well as watching people participating in live-band karaoke singing (also in the end of Temple Street).

On Monday evening I left early enough to the airport for my next flight, which would be taking me to Brisbane. The train transport was really efficient connecting with the bus service from Kowloon hotels to Kowloon station.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:16 am
Original Poster

QF 086 HKG-BNE
seat: 2A
Boeing 767
23:00-09:40+1

I checked in already in Kowloon station and I got my pre-assigned seat as well as an invitation to the shared QF-BA lounge. As one my friend from Hong Kong was leaving the same evening to the US, I met him at the airport and we went to have dinner in the fast-food area. I never made it to the lounge as my flight was announced pretty soon. Once at the gate, the gate crew was forming two queues for the passengers. I was directed to the business class queue and after waiting for five minutes we were asked to board the aircraft. On board, a very friendly all-male crew was directed passengers to their place. My pre-assigned seat was a good choice as it's a solo seat with both windows and aisle (1-2-2 configuration). This flight was also full in business and probably also in economy (or should I write WHY as this is QF flight). Before take-off amenity kits and menus were distributed, as well as pre take-off drinks (water, OJ or champagne).

After take-off, dinner was served. I really enjoy Qantas service, which is more individual than Finnair. No trays, nice food presentation and attentive FA's. After the heavy dinner, I didn't really manage to sleep and only doze off for a short time. Breakfast was served in the same nice way as dinner. The FA serving me was almost overly friendly, but very nice.

Menu:
Supper:
Beef Fillet with Broad Beans, Aspargus and Red Wine Jus
or
Snapper with New Potatoes and Zucchini Sauce
or
Chinese Style Barbecue Pork and Wonton Noodle Soup
---
Selection of Seasonal Cheese and Dried fruit
or
Italian Apple Cake with Grand Marnier Mascarpone
or
Sliced Fresh Fruit
---
Chocolates

Breakfast:
Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Lemon
or
Breakfast Sausages with Potato Cake, Sauteed Mushrooms and Braised Beans

Champagne:
Charles Heidsieck, Mis En Cave 1997

Arrival in Brisbane was on time. While trying to find my way forward through customs, an officer asked for my ticket and wanted to check that I also a had a ticket out of Australia (he was as well interested in the whole RTW journey and the fact that the ticket was originally issued in Cairo). My friend was waiting for me at the airport (he had arrived from SIN a few hours before) and we took a taxi to our hotel on Wickham Terrace (Goodearth Hotel).

In Brisbane on the first day, we visited Lone Pine's Koala Sanctuary and I had a picture of a koala in my arms. On the second day we went to Moreton Island. We were booked for the dolphin feeding which usually takes place in late afternoon, but it had to be cancelled due to a predicted storm on the same evening. We also had a view of Brisbane by night on one of the riverboats.

QF 541 BNE-SYD
seat: 3A
Boeing 737
15:10-17:40

After a couple of days in Brisbane, it was time to fly to Sydney. Check-in was efficient and we had some time to visit the nice QF lounge in BNE. On board we got a cold snack composed of cheese, antipasti and dried fruits. I also tried Australian sparkling wine. Nothing special on this flight. Business class was full with some QF staff. We had an on time arrival to Sydney, where our friends were waiting for us

During our stay, we had a tour south of Sydney to visit small cities on cost such as Kiama and Berry. I also went swimming in the Tasman Sea from a beach near Kiama. During our stay, we also visited the NSW Art Gallery and a few very good restaurants. This was my third time in Sydney, and I always enjoy staying there.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:18 am
Original Poster

QF 163 SYD-AKL
seat: 2F
Boeing 767 (2-2-2 configuration in business class)
07:25-12:20

Early wake-up for our flight to Fiji via AKL. Our friends dropped us at the airport. Check in was fast and we got our suitcases checked all the way to NAN, however AKL-NAN BP's would have to be issued in AKL. We couldn't get seats together and were advised to check again at the gate. As there was little time we didn't visit the QF lounge. At the gate we asked for seats together. The gate staff asked the guy who was seated next to my friend if he wanted to change seats, but he wasn't very collaborative at that moment. However once on board he went to a FA and asked if he could change seats because so that he could seat with his friend on another row...
The flight was OK, although business class was completely full. Pre take-off OJ/water were served and soon after take off there was a breakfast served (can't remember if it was on trays or plates). I seem to have lost the printed menu for breakfast, but it had basically the same items as for the HKG-BNE breakfast. Staff was good, but didn't have time to interact much with passengers. Landing at AKL was thrilling: we almost touched down, when suddenly we took off again. According to the captain the reason was a sudden change of wind. This event caused a 20 minutes delay in arriving in AKL.

FJ 410 AKL-NAN
seat: 28A
Boeing 737-800
14:00-16:05

We went immediately to the flight connection desk and got our BP's for AKL-NAN (printed on AirNZ BP's). At the gate we asked if our luggage would make it as the connection time was rather short and we were assured that the plane would not leave without our suitcases (well it was wrong as my friends suitcase didn't make it to NAN on the same flight). For this side trip to Fiji we both had economy tickets. The flight wasn't completely full in economy and I got myself a window seat. After take-off from AKL, the FA's served the drinks and meals. Nothing special on this Air Pacific flight. The crew was friendly. Arrival to Nadi airport was spectacular as we did a U-turn just before landing in front of the mountains.

Nadi airport had changed from the year before (this was my second time in Fiji). Last year in March the airport was under major reconstruction. Unfortunately my friend’s suitcase didn’t show and we had to complain about this and buy some necessary clothing (at a very expensive price from the airport shop). The NAN airport staff guessed that the suitcase would arrive within 24 hours with an AirNZ flight (AirNZ is responsible for FJ’s luggage handling at AKL).

For Fiji, we had reserved a 5-night all-inclusive package at the Treasure Island resort, which is located some 30 minutes (by speedboat) away from Denarau marina, nearby Nadi. Last year we also visited Treasure Island, and were very satisfied when comparing price and quality. The resort had arranged all transfers from the airport and soon we were packed in a taxi on our way from NAN to Denarau marina. While leaving NAN airport a Federal Express DC-10 was doing the same spectacular U-turn before landing.

I felt very nice to be back in Fiji and Treasure Island. Some of the resort staff (almost all Fijian) recognized us from last year and came to say “Bula” and hug us (they also surprised us with complementary sparkling wine, fruit plates and t-shirts). The staff was probably very happy to see us returning to their resort (even if we’re living on the other side of the globe). As this was low season, the resort was very calm. The weather was perfect, very sunny for the two first days and a bit cloudy towards the end of our stay. We made some snorkeling trips on the outer reef and also a small trip to Bounty Island (which belongs to the same company running Treasure Island). The food was excellent, especially for a la carte diners, where the chef had put lots of effort in the food presentation. Our stay on this paradise island went fast and on the last night we had our ‘Isa Lei’ farewell song after diner. On March 12th we woke up early for our speedboat departure to mainland Fiji. Some of the Treasure Island staff came to say goodbye at the pier, even if the sun wasn’t up yet.

FJ 411 NAN-AKL
Seat: 30B
Boeing 737-800
08:45-12:45

The airport was rather busy in the morning with departures to AKL, SYD and Nauru (we had heard some news of the Nauru state bankruptcy situation, but this didn’t affect the airline of Nauru). We had some time to kill before boarding and visited the duty-free shops and wrote last postcards. Air Pacific flight to SYD (a B747) left just before our flight to AKL. I had expected that this flight would be on a Boeing 767 (as first announced on Amadeus), but we had the same Boeing 737. As the flight wasn’t full, I could move to a window seat and take some pictures as we took off. A warm breakfast was served and during the rest of the flight I listened music on the IFE.

Our landing to AKL was on time and we went directly to the transit desk in order to have good seats together on the AKL-SCL flight. However the flight, which originates in SYD, wasn’t yet closed and we had to wait almost half an hour. We really wanted our BP’s as fast as possible in order to enjoy the QF lounge. During our waiting a queue formed in front of the transit desk and we could see the inefficiency of AirNZ international transit services. There was only one PC terminal for handling OneWorld, Air Tahiti (and some other) passengers. Also every time the staff in charge of transit had to make some calls somewhere before issuing BPs. Finally we got our BPs and could move on to the QF lounge. In the lounge, I first took a shower and then went to the buffet for some snacks and drinks. We also checked e-mails at the business center. After almost two hours in the lounge, we decided to start going towards the gate where LAN Chile’s Airbus A340 had arrived. At the same time I saw three Emirates aircrafts on the tarmac and at one of the gates.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:20 am
Original Poster

LA 800 AKL-SCL
Seat: 10A
Airbus A340
17:10-12:20

After boarding, we were soon served pre take off drinks and I decided to try the pisco sour (after it had been recommended by the FA). The flight was almost full in all classes. One lady was upgraded on board and she took the last seat in front of me. LAN Chile has a generous legroom on their A340 aircraft, however I hopped that the seat would have reclined more (I felt that it reclined more on the B767). Before take off, we got menus, wine lists (in the cork covers) and amenities (a shoe-bag with socks and eyeshades and a separate amenity box). Once in the air, we first got a drink round with nuts and I switched to champagne. Linens were put on tables and food served on a large tray with the appetizers. The FA serving us tried to pronounce my name, but it was obviously too hard and continued by addressing me as Sir. Entrées were served on plates (directly from the oven). The food was good but presentation wasn’t. I enjoyed the wines and followed the Sommelier’s suggestions. I managed to sleep for a few hours and also tried watching some movies on the Lan Chile AVOD system. 1,5 hours before arrival to SCL, we were offered a breakfast. Overall this was a good flight, although the service wasn’t as friendly as for QF. We arrived on time to SCL and took a taxi to Torremayor Hotel in Providencia district.

Menu
TO START
Champagne ‘Henriot Brut Souverain’

TRADITIONAL MENU
APPETIZERS
COLD CUTS
Slices of roast beef in pepper, served with celeriac salad with basil and walnut pesto
Our Master Sommelier suggests Premium Malbec 2001, Bodega Altavista, Provincia de Mendoza (Argentina)
---
FRESH GARDEN SALAD
Fresh seasonal greens served with your choice of olive oil with balsamic vinegar or creamy dressing

AS THE MAIN ENTRÉE, WE OFFER
GRILLED BEEF FILET
Filet of beef medaillion served with a green peppercorn sauce garnished with cous cous with spinach and carrots
Our Master Sommelier suggests Syrah Reserva 2002, Viña Bisquertt – Valle de Colchagua
---
SALMON IN ORANGE SAUCE
Salmon Filet served with dill orange sauce, garnished with potatoes and asparagus
Our Master Sommelier suggests Chardonnay reserve 2003, Viña Agustinos – Valle de Casablanca
---
CHICKEN PANSOTTI
Pansotti filled with chicken, topped with spinach cream and tomato and basil sauce
Our Master Sommelier suggests Carmenère Reserva 2000, Viña Montgras – Valle de Colchagua

CHEESES
Assorted cheeses served with grapes or dried fruit and crackers

FROM THE BAKERY
Choose your selection from our variety of warm breads

OUR DESSERT
Strawberry cheesecake served with its sauce; or a selection of fresh seasonal fruit
---
Freshly brewed gourmet or instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea or herbal teas
---
Liqueurs

BREAKFAST
TO START
Orange juice, fresh seasonal fruit, yoghurt or cereal, coffee or tea

WARM ENTRÉES
Omelette served with golden potatoes an a medallion of grilled beef fillet
---
Crèpe filled with ricotta and quince preserve, topped with honey

FROM THE BAKERY
Choose your selection from our variety of bread served with butter and preserves

We started our Santiago visit from the San Cristobal hill. We walked in the downtown area and saw the church, market hall and a couple of museums. On one day we visited the Santa Rita winery/estate. We should have stayed longer in Santiago and also visit places outside of the capital. I had never been in Chile before and can’t really have an opinion based on this 2 nights stay. One of the highlights was a good dinner at a seafood restaurant called Aqui Esta Coco (in Providencia).

LA 932 SCL-MDZ (Lan Express)
Seat: 11A
Boeing 737
17:50-18:40

We had been visiting all museums during the day and took a taxi from our hotel to the airport. Ahead of us was just a short flight over to Mendoza. Nothing special on this flight. Fas served some juice and biscuits. Mendoza airport was very clam and our flight was the only one arriving and departing at this hour. After changing some money at the airport, we took a taxi to our hotel in downtown Mendoza (Hotel Mendoza on Avenida España).

During the 2 nights stay in Mendoza, we did a winery tour (in Spanish, but we got some translations in English), some shopping and especially good eating. I had been to Buenos Aires last year, and of course Mendoza was much more calm and relaxed than the capital. Mendoza had just had its wine harvesting celebration and thus there were lots of visitors in the city. On our second day in Mendoza, we arranged a bus tickets back to Santiago. During the 7 hours bus ride we saw beautiful sceneries of the Andean mountains and the Aconcagua peak. When we arrived in Santiago we took a taxi from the bus station directly to the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:22 am
Original Poster

LA 530 SCL-LIM
Seat: 7L
Boeing 767-300
20:15-22:50

We arrived rather early to SCL for our flight to Lima. However we could check in at the separated business and first class counters (you really have to know were to find them). At check-in we also got our boarding passes for the next morning flight to Cusco. After passport check, we had dinner at one of the SCL airport restaurant (or probably it’s the only one). We spent the rest of the time before boarding in the Neruda lounge having some snacks and checking e-mails. The Neruda lounge was clam and comfortable. The lounge staff also warmly welcomed us and explained all available services. Boarding of the flight was on time, and even if this flight was continuing to JFK, there were no extra security inspections. Once on board, I noticed that this flight was going to be full in business. Before take-off, we were offered pre take off drinks, the menus and wine lits as well as a shoe-bag with socks and eyeshades. The amenity kit was offered only on the LIM-JFK leg. Once in the air, dinner service was started. I choose the crab ravioli, which had a very good tomato sauce. I found the crew friendlier than on the AKL-SCL flight (even if they didn’t attempt to pronounce our ‘difficult’ Finnish names). After dinner, the cabin lights were dimmed, and the crew probably also went for a rest, since I had to go to the front (first class) galley to get a glass of water (in the first class glassware!). I have read that the same crew continues on the LIM-JFK leg, which must be a rather long shift. As we landed to LIM, we could see the city lights.

TO START
Champagne ‘Henriot Brut Souverain’

TRADITIONAL MENU
APPETIZERS
FROM THE SEA
Shrimp in mustard sauce, served with hearts of palm and baby salad greens
Our Master Sommelier suggests Sauvignon Blanc 2003, Viña Undurraga – Valle de Lontué 2003
---
FRESH GARDEN SALAD
Fresh seasonal greens served with your choice of olive oil with balsamic vinegar or creamy dressing

AS THE MAIN ENTRÉE, WE OFFER
GRILLED FILLET OF BEEF
Grilled fillet of beef served with sautéed vegetables and mashed potatoes with garlic and bacon
Our Master Sommelier suggests Cabernet Sauvignon Stella Aurea 2000, Viña Clos, Quebrada de Macul – Valle del Maipo
---
SAUTÉED SALMON
Sautéed salmon in fresh tomato sauce, served with almond rice and grilled zucchini
Our Master Sommelier suggests Chardonnay Reserve 2003, Viña Agustinos – Valle de Casablance
---
CRAB RAVIOLI
Spinach ravioli filled with crab meat topped with tomato sauce
Our Master Sommelier suggests Premium Malbec 2001, Bodega Altavista, Provincia de Mendoza (Argentina)

CHEESES
Assorted cheeses served with dried fruit and crackers

FROM THE BAKERY
Choose your selection from our variety of warm breads

OUR DESSERT
Sherry crème caramel; or selection of fresh seasonal fruit
---
Freshly brewed gourmet or instant coffee, decaffeinated coffee, tea or herbal teas
---
Liqueurs

Once at he airport, we had to board a bus, which took us to the terminal. The lines were rather long for passport control and the temporary hall without any efficient air conditioning didn’t make the waiting easier. After we got our luggage, we checked at a shared-taxi counter to get as fast as possible to our hotel in Miraflores (Best Western Embajadores). We wanted to catch a few hours of sleeping before the early morning wake-up for the flight to Cusco. The taxi-bus driver however left us at another Best Western hotel in Miraflores (even if I asked him if it was the Embajadores hotel). Fortunately our correct hotel wasn’t far away and a taxi was arranged to get us there. By this time we were in need of a shower due to the hot and humid climate of Lima (at the airport tarmac, the air had a dead fish smell). At the hotel we also got our vouchers for the 4-nights Cusco tour that we had pre-arranged. This Best Western hotel was modest, but OK for one night. In the morning we had time for some breakfast before a taxi took us to LIM airport. In the morning, from the taxi we had the opportunity to see a little bit more of Miraflores and Lima. Security is an issue after I saw all the fenced houses and listened to warnings made by the taxi driver. The taxi took us as near as possible to the domestic departure area and soon we were checking our suitcases and paying the departure tax. Our flight to Cusco was full (with tourist like us). Before boarding, I had time to make a call to the travel agent in Cusco, which would be waiting for us and confirm that we were coming (there had been some misunderstandings about arrival times).

LP 035 LIM-CUZ
Seat: 4K
Airbus A320
Time: 09:40-10:50

During this short flight, we got a warm sandwich (warm bread filled scrambled eggs) and drinks (coca tea amongst others). We also had a good view over the mountains and it was exciting to see our arrival to CUZ as the airport is almost in the middle of the city. At CUZ airport, the travel agent was waiting for us in order to take us to our hotel and inform about our program in Cusco. We had booked a 4-night package including the following: 3 nights in Cusco Novotel, 1 night in Aguas Calientes Pueblo Hotel, half-day visit of Cusco, full day visit of the Sacred Valley, Vistadom train to Machu Picchu and visit of Machu Picchu. All of this for USD 510 per person.

We rested a few hours resting at the hotel before starting the half-day tour of Cusco and its surroundings. The rest was really needed as we felt some typical symptoms of high altitude. During the tour, we visited many of the must-see places such as the Cathedral, Coricancha and Sacsaywaman. Once back at the hotel, we still were in need of rest, but managed to go out for dinner (some place around Plaza de Armas) and buy a few bottles of water, which we would need the following day.

On the second day the tour took us to the Sacred Valley and we saw places such as the village of Pisac (with its market), Urubamba and Ollantaytambo. The tour included a buffet lunch. Fortunately during the day the weather was much better than the day before (we new that this was the rainy season). Again, we were rather exhausted and went to sleep early for the very early morning departure to Machu Picchu with the Vistadom train. This train ride to the village of Aguas Calientes took approximately three hours, during wich we were served a light breakfast. Even if this was the low season, our carriage was full. At Aguas Calientes we took the bus up to Machu Picchu (luggages had been left at the station from where they were taken to our hotel). At Machu Picchu, we joined our guided 2-hours tour after which we had lunch and went back to the site for the rest of the day. We were really lucky with the weather as it didn’t rain and later in the afternoon we could make beautiful pictures in the sunlight. This visit was a great experience. We took the last bus from the site to Aguas Calientes and went to our hotel, the Pueblo. This eco-hotel is very nice and build in the edge of the rain forest. We also enjoyed our dinner there. The following morning it was again raining and we decided to not get back to Machu Picchu, but rather visit the orchid garden of the Pueblo hotel and to Pepito, the spectacle bear living in a fenced area in the hotel rain forest garden. As a great friend of bears, I was very sorry to see that this animal had to leave in such a small place, poor Pepito… We had lunch at the Pueblo hotel managed lunch restaurant and then boarded the train back to Cusco. Our last night was in Novotel. The travel agent took us the next day back to the airport.

LP 131 CUZ-JUL (with 1 stop in AQP)
Seat: 10L
Airbus A320
Time: 12:45-14:40

Nothing special about this flight (or rather two short flights). We just got some candies from the FA and admired the beautiful landscapes of Peru from the air. At Juliaca we took the only available shared taxi to Puno (which is on board of lake Titicaca). After a one-hour bumpy ride to Puno, we were left at our hotel, the Colon Inn (somehow affiliated to Best Western). We had not made any arrangements in advance for visiting the Titicaca Lake and therefore went to a tour agent recommended by the Insight Pocket Guide (Edgar Adventures). We got a full day tour for the next day including a visit to the floating Uros Islands and Taquile Island. We had dinner at the hotel and walked in downtown Puno (not a very interesting city).

The next morning, we boarded a ship with 15 other tourists for the whole day tour. First we had a visit of the Uros Island and took a ride on a reed boat. It was really amazing to see the life style of the Uros people, who have wanted to isolate themselves on these floating reed islands (which they abandon if the island touches the lake bottom). After Uros, we went to Taquile and had to climb up to the islands highest point (fortunately Edgar Adventures takes us to the north end landing site from where the road is not as steep as on the west shore). We had lunch at a collective restaurant during which our guide explained us the lifestyle of the people living on Taquile Island. Late afternoon we arrived back to Puno and made our way to an internet café in order to check e-mails. During the internet session I also check my itinerary with checkmytrip.com, and noticed that our places on our flights back home had bee cancelled. Fortunately I was able to make a call to Finnair (GSM also woks in Puno) and reconfirm our place on those flights (apparently the problem was that our itineraries had been cancelled, because our separate bookings from AQP to JUL had been changed into CUZ-JUL, canceling the CUZ-AQP leg, complicated but we got it managed at the LAN Peru office in Arequipa). Later in the evening we went to eat at a pizza restaurant, however I started feeling all the symptoms of a food poisoning and had to leave the pizza. Fortunately everything was over the next morning (although I was really sick with fever during the night) and we could continue to JUL airport for our flight to Arequipa.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:25 am
Original Poster

LP 132 JUL-AQP
Seat: 13L
Airbus A320
15:05-15:45

We arrived early to JUL airport and saw an Aero Continente Boeing 727 flight leaving before us to AQP. Our flight was a little delayed due to late arrival from AQP. Short flight to AQP without any service and not many people on the flight. At AQP, we took a taxi to the Posada del Monasterio hotel in downtown Arequipa. This hotel was very modest (especially breakfast) and I wouldn’t recommend it. As we wanted to visit the Colca Canyon, we went to a tour operator called Giardino and booked a one night tour leaving on the 25th. This gave us a whole day to visit Arequipa and especially the Santa Catalina monastery (opposite our hotel). I recommend to take a guided tour in the monastery, which is almost a city inside a city. We also visited some of the churches in Arequipa and made some alpaca goods shopping in an outlet store (Grupo Inca). We also found a very good restaurant called Zig-Zag. In Arequipa we had also had to arrange our last night stay in Lima. We tried to find a room in a good hotel, but everything seemed to be fully booked. On the internet we saw that the Park Miraflores was offering rooms with a special prices. I decided however to call the hotel directly, and they offered me the same special internet price. Later we found out that a big South American bankers conference was taking place and therefore all hotels were almost full.

On the 25th, we joined the tour for Colca (10 tourists in a mini-bus). This two-day tour was specially operated by Giardino tours and we also stayed their hotel near Chivay. The highlight of the tour was the seeing of giant condors in the morning and the Cruz del Condor itinerary. The infrastructure in Colca (especially the road to Colca) is very undeveloped. On the way to Colca we passed the highest point of our whole journey at 4800 metres. Near Chivay, I also went to take a bath in the hot thermal pools. Late in the afternoon on the 26th, we arrived back to Arequipa and had time for an early dinner before going to the airport by taxi.

LP 106 AQP-LIM
Seat: 18J
Airbus A320
20:20-21:45

We arrived early at AQP and were informed that the plane would be 30 minutes late due to late arrival. The departure lounge was almost full when the plane finally arrived and we could board a few minutes later. The plane was almost full with tourists and probably local businessmen. In the middle of take-off the LAN Peru A320 plane a sudden stop, after which the captain made a quick announcement in Spanish. After a few minutes, the plane rolled towards the terminal building followed by fire brigade trucks. At the terminal we left the plane and I just had time to ask one of the FA’s what had happened. According to the FA, the captain made a stop after a light in the cockpit had started blinking. Once in the terminal building we were informed to wait for further information. After an hour of waiting we got drinks and biscuits. At the same time we could follow the technical staff making inspections around the plane. After two hours the plane made a test start and we were informed that we could board as soon as some inspection reports would have been filled. In total we were than three hours late once we arrived in LIM.

Fortunately we had for this night one of the best hotel in town, but it was almost 2:00 when we checked in and got our room. The Park Miraflores belongs to the Orient Express chain and we really got a five star service. In the morning we made it for breakfast just before the restaurant would close. Unfortunately as the hotel was fully booked for the next night, we couldn’t keep our room after 12:00, but we were allowed to use the fitness room in the highest floor. We also made a visit to one of the biggest mall in Lima for some last minute shopping.

LA 530 LIM-JFK
Seat: 6D
Boeing 767-300
23:45-07:20+1

As my friend was flying back to Europe via Madrid, his Iberia flight was a couple of hours earlier than mine. We left early to the airport and I had to wait an hour before the LAN Chile check in for the JFK flight was opened. Business class had its own separate check-in (without inspection of luggage), where I got an invitation for the lounge and also my boarding pass for the JFK-HEL flight whit my pre-reserved seat. After paying the departure tax (using the rest of my Peruvian soles), I went to the lounge via the temporary buildings. I think that by this time LIM airport will have finished all restoration work, and they should have a nice airport. The lounge was OK, whit some small snacks and different drinks. Behind the smoking room, there was also a business center whit a couple of PC’s having internet connection. I left the lounge early and hopped on the bus, which was going take me to the aircraft.

On board, some people were already trying to sleep (those flying from SCL to JFK). Business class was once again full. Before take off, drinks were served and once in the air the late snack service started asap so that passengers could catch some sleep before breakfast. The snack and the breakfast were both OK. The staff was also nice and friendly. Otherwise nothing very special on this flight. I could catch a few hours of sleep in the business class seats of this Boeing 767. The IFE system wasn’t the same as on the LAN Chile A340, and screens were much smaller. Landing in JFK was earlier than scheduled.

SNACK SANDWICH
TO START
Fresh fruit juice, tea, coffee and milk
---
Toast served with butter and preserves

GOURMET SANDWICH SELECTION
Ham, tomato and lettuce, served on ciabatta bread with sesame seeds
---
Turkey breast and gruyere cheese served warm on rolled oats bread

OUR SWEETS
Fig cobbler topped with fig compote

BREAKFAST
TO START
Orange juice, fresh seasonal fruit, yoghurt, coffee or tea

WARM ENTRÉES
Omelette served with grilled Canadian ham and sautéed potatoes ‘Spanish style’
---
English ham and Edam cheese sandwich served warm on country bread

FROM THE BAKERY
Choose your selection from our variety of bread served with butter and preserves

Once out of the aircraft, it took some 20 minutes before clearing the passport control. The passport control officer was friendly and just checked that I was really connecting to another flight later in the afternoon. I also got my suitcase very fast and just after customs I went to the LAN Chile / Oneworld transit desk to leave it for transfer to the JFK-HEL flight. As I had a whole day before my flight to HEL would be leaving, I decided to catch the Airtrain and subway to Manhattan and eat something there. Manhattan on a Sunday morning was very calm, but I enjoyed just walking, watching and taking some pics. After a light lunch at a Au Bon Pain, I took the bus back to JFK.

AY 006 JFK-HEL
Seat: 2D
MD-11
16:55-08:50+1

Even if I had my boarding pass ready, I still went to AY’s check-in to confirm that everything was OK. Now I still ha time to go to the AA lounge to get a shower before another night flight back to home. AA lounge staff was friendly and I was able to take a shower and some orange juice. I left the lounge early as I saw that the security check lines were rather long (an Iberia plane for MAD and BCN was departing at the same time). Once at the gate, I joined the queue (no separate queue for business class) and went to the plane. I got some questions on why I had BP from LAN Chile and had to explain that I had already checked in LIM for this flight. On board I went to my seat and was offered champagne, while waiting for the departure. Business class was full (Finns, Americans, Russians). We took off a bit late, as we had to wait for some connecting passengers, however we arrived early to HEL. Service on board was almost the same as from HEL to BKK. I managed to sleep for a while before breakfast service (some passenger skipped both dinner and breakfast). We arrived earlier than scheduled to HEL and I could make it to work after dropping my suitcase home and taking a shower.

Thank you for reading! I hope I was able to share some of the wonderful experiences I had during this trip.

Dinner
Scandinavian delicacies platter
And/or
Chef’s soup
---
Monkfish Saltimbocca with thyme risotto and Tuscan style vegetables
Or
Fillet of beef with mushroom potato gratin, grilled vegetables
Seasonal salad
---
Fresh fruit
Selection of Cheeses
Or
Pear chocolate tart with mascarpone cream

Breakfast
Fresh orange and grapefruit juice
Fresh fruit salad
Cereals
Scrambled egg with cheese, bacon, grilled tomato

Wines same as for HEL-HKG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.