Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does UA sell "gift certificates" ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2004, 4:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Does UA sell "gift certificates" ?

Had a question come up that I don't know the answer to : Does UA offer something akin to a gift card or gift certificate that can be given to someone and the recipient can use to purchase flights up to the balance of the cert?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not sure about a gift certificate but you could always purchase an MCO.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 5:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Yeah, that's a better term in this context

Do MCO's retain residual value when partially used?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I looked into the gift certificates a while ago. Turns out that you CAN buy them, but it has to be done at a ticket counter.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Smile gift certificates

Hello. I recieved a gift cert for my birthday earlier this year. It was very nice . Dark blue embossed sleeve,parchment insert etc. I think you can buy them over the phone with a CC at this # 1-800 241 6522.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Is it like a "regular" gift certificate where you can use the value in whatever increments you want, or like a VDB where you get no residual returned, or ??
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
info.

Gift cert redemption.

the cert is redeemable for ticket purchases from United,shuttle by united or united express. It is also valid towards a United vacations air inclusive package.

Your itinerty must include at least one flight segment on United Airlines to qualify

The certificate is valid for one year and may be extended for one additional year by presenting the certificate for exchange prior to the original date.

Only the person named on the certificate may redeem it for him/herself or the person of his/her choice.

If the certificate value is less than the air fare, the difference may be paid in cash, check or major CC.

If the value of the certificate is larger than the air fare, a new gift cert. will be issued for the difference.
A refund may be obtained if you prefer, however any refund must be made in the form of a credit to the credit card account used to buy the cert. rather than cash.

That's all the important stuff. I used one yesterday funnily enough!

Last edited by tattikat2; Jul 10, 2004 at 11:31 pm
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MP (yep, blue-card member and proud of it!) {Former DTWRR 1K/Exec. Svcs. Agent 2000-2002}
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thanks for the info! Is it like a "regular" gift certificate where you can use the value in whatever increments you want, or like a VDB where you get no residual returned, or ??
I called United, you will get the residual back in the form of a new certificate. Hope this answers your question!
Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Why thank you! I guess I could have done that too
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we're still planning on offering them through www.theunitedshop.com, but there is no ETA.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 11:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I know you asked about United, but American offers them a bit differently, you purchase a set certificate for the from and to destinations you want to fly. They are sometimes a better deal then you can get just buying a ticket. See http://www.americanairlinesincentive.../ratechart.asp for details.
Old Aug 28, 2005, 7:49 am

Just an update on this in case anyone is interested... there is no update! I just looked into this and everything is the status quo as stated last year in this thread. Have to be purchased over the phone, all paper certificates, must be ticketed at ticket counter (or via mail), blah blah. Only now, you get the added pleasure of the airport ticket fee for all your hard work and inconvenience in redeeming your gift certificate!

I was looking into this to see if there was a simple electronic way to offset a $100 price difference for a friend on a work itin where UA was more expensive (and hence outside her $75 company policy allowance). Since you can't split payment online, your only option really is to go to the airport and pay cash [and fee] for the other part. Even my travel agent can't split c/c payments.

But what a horrible program. If I was giving someone a gift certificate for travel on United, this would be such an embarassment once he/she saw all the hoops they had to jump through to use it - and then to get to pay $10 for all that fun would be the "icing" on that birthday cake .
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: United 1k 1 MM
Too bad...

I believe that the 1K PrePaid Travel card might be the greatest gift cert of all-times. Too bad registration is closed for 2005. Will this be back for 2006?

For those who might have missed this offer, CLICK HERE. I am eagerly anticipating the 2005 Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalogue to see if it will be in there.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Just an update on this in case anyone is interested... there is no update! I just looked into this and everything is the status quo as stated last year in this thread. Have to be purchased over the phone, all paper certificates, must be ticketed at ticket counter (or via mail), blah blah. Only now, you get the added pleasure of the airport ticket fee for all your hard work and inconvenience in redeeming your gift certificate!

But what a horrible program. If I was giving someone a gift certificate for travel on United, this would be such an embarassment once he/she saw all the hoops they had to jump through to use it - and then to get to pay $10 for all that fun would be the "icing" on that birthday cake .

C'mon United, this is a no-brainer! Even Amazon.com and other merchants do this by email. It's that time of year, and you need the cash flow, right?

Besides, I could use these a lot more than a pink tie and fruit baskets.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:31 am

Programs: UA
and, if it's someone you really don't like, give 'em a united.com e-cert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.