Wiki Posts
Search

A most enjoyable flight in………coach

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
A most enjoyable flight in………coach

If you have flown through ATL in the past two weeks you would have noticed a lot of young men and women coming home from the Middle East, in their desert fatigues, most on two weeks leave. These young men and women are America’s finest.

Many of us can upgrade a companion if there are seats available. We should all make the effort required and insure these folks fly their last leg in First. Unfortunately most of my flights in the past two weeks have departed with a full first class, so there would have been no opportunity to upgrade them.

Yesterday morning I made a decision to give up my first class seat to the first soldier on the plane wearing a uniform. (Yes, I did clear it with the crew first) These folks are putting their lives on the line everyday they are over there serving our country. What’s 90 minutes in coach for the opportunity in a small way to say thanks for what they are doing?

I can tell you the smile on the young lady’s face made it all worth while. For the first time in a very long time, I actually enjoyed my seat in coach knowing I had the opportunity to express my gratitude to one of those who has chosen to serve our country. And the fact the F/A came back to coach to tell me that it was the first time in 25 years he had ever seen a passenger do that, made me feel good too

I challenge each of you to do the same.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Jun 30, 2004 at 5:39 pm
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:37 pm

Programs: CO, CO PC, NW, HHonors, Hertz Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
What’s 90 minutes in coach for the opportunity in a small way to say thanks for what they are doing?

Awesome!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
If you have flown through ATL in the past two weeks you would have noticed a lot of young men and women coming home from the Middle East, in their desert fatigues, most on two weeks leave. These young men and women are America’s finest.

Many of us can upgrade a companion if there are seats available. We should all make the effort required and insure these folks fly their last leg in First. Unfortunately most of my flights in the past two weeks have departed with a full first class, so there would have been no opportunity to upgrade them.

Yesterday morning I made a decision to give up my first class seat to the first soldier on the plane wearing a uniform. (Yes, I did clear it with the crew first) These folks are putting their lives on the line everyday they are over there serving our country. What’s 90 minutes in coach for the opportunity in a small way to say thanks for what they are doing?

I can tell you the smile on the young lady’s face made it all worth while. For the first time in a very long time, I actually enjoyed my seat in coach knowing I had the opportunity to express my gratitude to one of those who has chosen to serve our country. And the fact the F/A came back to coach to tell me that it was the first time in 25 years he had ever seen a passenger do that, made me feel good too

A very generous gesture and we (I am a special operations reserve officer) thank you for showing your appreciation of our troops - regardless of service.

As a side note, I thought of doing the same on several occasions - but have either never had a uniformed member on my flight, or A/F class was full.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Great Job l4p!

Many of us can upgrade a companion if there are seats available. We should all make the effort required and insure these folks fly their last leg in First.
This brings up a good question. Can we say that anyone is our companion, or does it have to be a person on the same booking? I would be suprised if Delta were that liberal with a benefit.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Thumbs up

Wow Longing, what a great gesture. Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
This brings up a good question. Can we say that anyone is our companion, or does it have to be a person on the same booking? I would be suprised if Delta were that liberal with a benefit.
I assumed you could. As a CP on US, I've seen a friend at the gate and upgraded them at the last minute. It could be a complete stranger and it wouldn't make a difference. I even know a couple of guys who look for the most attractive female at the gate and upgrade her. I just assumed you could on DL.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

What a lovely gesture. I will share your story with my children.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

Nice gesture, longing4piedmont, and I applaud you for this! ( Two clapping hands-> ^ ^ )
I have THOUGHT of doing this in the past but haven't done so up until now. You actually did it....big difference.
I will make it a point to emulate your gesture in the future as I enjoy a challenge. And I greatly value and recognize the dedication of our service men and women.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Cholula
Nice gesture, longing4piedmont, and I applaud you for this! ( Two clapping hands-> ^ ^ )
I have THOUGHT of doing this in the past but haven't done so up until now. You actually did it....big difference.
I will make it a point to emulate your gesture in the future as I enjoy a challenge. And I greatly value and recognize the dedication of our service men and women.
Cholula, that is so nice of you to give up your 1st class return flight from Hawaii.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:49 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Strictly speaking, only skymile members not traveling on a L, U, T fare are eligible (details Here), however, I have no doubt that most gate agents not only would make an exception, but likely do what they could to make the upgrade happen if any left over from the automatic allocation to Medaillion members.

Sort of puts a new spin on the word road worrior ^
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:53 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by Cholula
Cholula, all we have to do iafter giving away our FC seat is to close our eyes and pretend that the main metal coach is a CRJ FC or at least a CRJ economy-plus!!
Old Jun 30, 2004, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Longing,

Great!!!!!!!!!!!! I've done this twice on NW. Like you, I look for uniformed kids (God, they look so young!!)

In MSP, there was a group of returning vets at one of the bars. I threw down 100.00 and told the bartender to take care of them. He told me that I was the 3rd or 4th person to do that and he was keeping the money to offer rounds later.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
What a wonderful story! I will keep this in mind for the future, and gladly give up my seat. Whether or not you agree with the war, our soldiers deserve our thanks from a grateful country.

Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
First of all, bravo.

Second of all, yes, you can upgrade just anyone but there have been some beliefs that this request must come outside of 3 hours of the flight time which would prevent you picking someone at the gate from being your companion. I would think that they might make an exception if they were military. But, Spiff, if he were still flying Delta, might have an issue upgrading the cute red head sitting near the boarding area.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:33 am

I did this too, for a soldier coming back from Afghanistan on ATL-PHX flight. When I saw him walk back to coach, it just popped into my head to see if I could do this for him so I asked the F/A; she said it would be fine. So we switched seats and he thought it was the coolest thing to sit up there. It was his first time and he was thanking me like I did something great. Please. No, thank you I said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.