Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Order of taking meal choices [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2004, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA EXP/MM

An observation (completely unscientific):

As a 1K, for years I usually got asked my meal choice pretty early in the process.

The last couple of months, it seems that on every flight (a combination of domestic first or international business), the FAs have simply started at the front of the cabin and worked their way back.

Luckily, I've always managed to get what I wanted, but it makes me wonder whether:
a) There has been a change in policy
b) The FAs simply decided that they didn't want to bother with hopscotching around to get choices

Or maybe it's my imagination
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:08 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
From what I've seen when they start at the front and work their way to the back they usually ask everyone for their 1st and 2nd choice. Once they've taken the orders they'll figure it out in the galley by status.

If you feel your were cheated you can always make a quick call to customer relations or send the 1k desk an email.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Napa
Luckily, I've always managed to get what I wanted, but it makes me wonder whether:
a) There has been a change in policy
b) The FAs simply decided that they didn't want to bother with hopscotching around to get choices
c) There are so darn many 1Ks/UGSs now that it just does not make a difference anymore. When 75%+ of the cabin are at least 1Ks, were do they start?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:14 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have seen more of the front to back process.... and people being asked their 1st and 2nd choice. However, I have never been asked a 2nd choice... as a 1K I have always gotten my choice.

I have to be honest... I do not like the jumping around to take orders by status...

William
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:23 pm

policy change......we are no longer suppose to jump around the cabin. We are now to start from front to back, (or back to front...f/a's choice) and ask everyone for their choice. Customer feedback from UGS and 1k's indicated they felt awkward being asked their first choice only to witness their seatmate being told later that "all I may offer you in pasta". We prioritize out of the view of the passengers. The pecking order remains the same as far as who gets first choice.

-IFLYUA
Old Jun 19, 2004, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by IFLYUA
policy change......we are no longer suppose to jump around the cabin. We are now to start from front to back, (or back to front...f/a's choice) and ask everyone for their choice. Customer feedback from UGS and 1k's indicated they felt awkward being asked their first choice only to witness their seatmate being told later that "all I may offer you in pasta". We prioritize out of the view of the passengers. The pecking order remains the same as far as who gets first choice.

-IFLYUA

Thank you for changing this policy. As a 1K, I have felt awkward when given my choice and my seatmate was told there was nothing they could do to accommodate his/her needs. Prioitizing behind the sense is a better way of handling this process in my opinion. Thanks for listening, United.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bnova72
Thank you for changing this policy. As a 1K, I have felt awkward when given my choice and my seatmate was told there was nothing they could do to accommodate his/her needs. Prioitizing behind the sense is a better way of handling this process in my opinion. Thanks for listening, United.

I agree, it always seemed really strange to see the f/a's hopping around the cabin. I think the policy is pretty stupid in the first place, treat everyone in the cabin equally. You never know who is the one paying the full fare! I'm not just upset at not getting my choice either, as 1K I've always gotten my first choice, but I still think its lame. I guess the ideal would be to board enough meals in premium cabins (especially on int'l flights) so it isn't an issue or maybe a "book the cook" situation?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I don't really think it is a good move at all, I always enjoyed it was taken by status. As I am being a 1P, sometimes I got taken my order very first or in the middle. I had noticed too all of my domestic flights now get the order from the front to the back, but international flight still taken order by status though.

Don't forget that it had now created a scene that the last or second last row of F or C class now being very unwellcome seats, since those seats would not get any choice at all for meals. What do you think if that flight's F and C class being filled up fast, and you are 1K or 1P, you have no other choice of F or C seats at all, would you still choose to be seated in the last row of F or C ?
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I don't really think it is a good move at all, I always enjoyed it was taken by status. As I am being a 1P, sometimes I got taken my order very first or in the middle. I had noticed too all of my domestic flights now get the order from the front to the back, but international flight still taken order by status though.

Don't forget that it had now created a scene that the last or second last row of F or C class now being very unwellcome seats, since those seats would not get any choice at all for meals. What do you think if that flight's F and C class being filled up fast, and you are 1K or 1P, you have no other choice of F or C seats at all, would you still choose to be seated in the last row of F or C ?
You are being asked for 1st and 2nd choice for the meal. Its a surprise which you'll get until they deliver it. They go back to the galley and determine based on status (like they always did) who gets their first choice and who may lose out because there aren't enough of that type of meal.

I think the jumping around the cabin was strange, but it was interesting to see who had what status. As a 1P, I was usually in the middle to the end of the pecking order.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:42 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
I don't really think it is a good move at all, I always enjoyed it was taken by status.

Orders should be taken front to back. The choices are then managed by status. That is the policy.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:42 pm

ORDnHKG,

I fail to see your point. The orders are prioritized in the galley. Even if a UGS or 1K is seated in the last row and are asked last, their preference will be honored before a 1P or 2P.

The new process should be followed on all flights- both domestic and international.

-IFLYUA
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On all the flights I was on F or C recently, I saw the FA work from the first row, ask what he/she wants, then deliver the meal, and then go to the second row, ask and deliver. And not taken all the choices all first, and determine the status.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to mention, they didn't even bother to address my name anymore since they changed to this style, which is very branded, not personalized at all. Before, they used to say "Mr.ORDnHKG, we have deli plate or chef salad today", and now it changed to "You want chicken sandwhich or cobb salad ?"
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
June 14th BOS-ORD on A320, all 12 seats in F occupied.

Door closes. Purser stands in front of F cabin and speaks, "well folks we have 6 cold salmon and 6 chicken caesar salad on board today, so why don't we start with you" points finger at me since I was in 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B etc

However, the pursur was GREAT throughout the flight, we had a 3 hour delay in the plane, kept pouring us drinks.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:18 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
On all the flights I was on F or C recently, I saw the FA work from the first row, ask what he/she wants, then deliver the meal, and then go to the second row, ask and deliver. And not taken all the choices all first, and determine the status.
A new policy (or an old policy) is dependent on FA's following it. I'd imagine you've probably got FA's that just don't care, so they do it however they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.