Wiki Posts
Search

Game season in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2002, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Game season in Paris

My wife and I are going to Paris at the end of Nov for Game Season. I would be interested in all Paris restaurants with a game menu and in particular, any restaurant serving Lievre Royale.

If there is recommended guide book listing restaurants with game menues, I would be interested in getting one.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 2:04 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
My wife and I are going to Paris at the end of Nov for Game Season.</font>
Wife and I love game dishes, what did you find?
Old Dec 23, 2002, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You asked:

Wine makes up 1/2 the bill, with one exception. For 2 people.

Flora €150 new, in the 8th across from the PdG and George V Great Lievre Royal.. Many other game choices.

Cafe d'Hubert 8th about €120. Good choice of game.

Montorgueil 2nd?close € 50 great bone marrow for lunch

Petite Mangury 8th €125 Sorry, no Lievre. very short menu. I think there are better.

Violin de Ingres 8th €327 a 2*. a huge dissapointment. Lots of creme and butter in the food. Not much flavor. Food was €220 of the total.

Chez Michael. 10th i think €140. This is the place. Cook really well. Get a good map before you go. Many game choices. Good prices. good service.

Summary:Violin and Manugry are the big names, and the disappointments. Use Zagat and Access Guide to find food.

We stayed at the Prince de Gaulle on a 50% off Starwood coupon, got an upgrade (uncommon)and thought the hotel and the location were great. Breakfast there is very expensive €43. eat elsewhere for €10 or less.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 8:08 am

The restaurant you referred to as 'Montorgueil' -- do you recall if that's a restaurant on the rue de Montorgueil (a pedestrian street, not far from Las Halles), or is the name actually 'Montorgueil'?

Gadzooks, is Chez Michel still going strong? It is indeed in the 10th, on the rue de Belzunce near the Gare du Nord. Best memory is having gone there more than a few years ago as a wide-eyed adventurer, looking for my 1st 2-star dining experience in Paris. I ordered escargots and was completely befuddled by the array of hardware that showed up with the food. Happily, the waiter recognized that I was lost, and he discretely and kindly explained the ins and outs of snails, tongs, spoons, and the rest.

Old Dec 28, 2002, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
The restaurant you referred to as 'Montorgueil' -- do you recall if that's a restaurant on the rue de Montorgueil (a pedestrian street, not far from Las Halles), or is the name actually 'Montorgueil'?

Gadzooks, is Chez Michel still going strong? It is indeed in the 10th, on the rue de Belzunce near the Gare du Nord. Best memory is having gone there more than a few years ago as a wide-eyed adventurer, looking for my 1st 2-star dining experience in Paris. I ordered escargots and was completely befuddled by the array of hardware that showed up with the food. Happily, the waiter recognized that I was lost, and he discretely and kindly explained the ins and outs of snails, tongs, spoons, and the rest.

</font>
La Grille Montorgueil 50, rue Montorgueil 2e
Is on a pedestrian street.

Chez Michel 10 rue de Belzunce, 10e
I think, although I am not certain, that the present ownership/chef have not been there a long time. Chef is Thierry Breton, and it has zero Micheline stars in my 2002 Guide Rouge.

The food, menu, and wine list is 2*, but the decor, the dress on the wait staff, and the lack of official bowers and scrappers would never merit 2*.(the napkins were 2* acceptable 30" cloth).

Old Jan 6, 2003, 4:19 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
You asked:

Wine makes up 1/2 the bill, with one exception. For 2 people.

Flora €150 new, in the 8th across from the PdG and George V Great Lievre Royal.. Many other game choices.

Cafe d'Hubert 8th about €120. Good choice of game.

Montorgueil 2nd?close € 50 great bone marrow for lunch

Petite Mangury 8th €125 Sorry, no Lievre. very short menu. I think there are better.

Violin de Ingres 8th €327 a 2*. a huge dissapointment. Lots of creme and butter in the food. Not much flavor. Food was €220 of the total.

Chez Michael. 10th i think €140. This is the place. Cook really well. Get a good map before you go. Many game choices. Good prices. good service.

Summary:Violin and Manugry are the big names, and the disappointments. Use Zagat and Access Guide to find food.

We stayed at the Prince de Gaulle on a 50% off Starwood coupon, got an upgrade (uncommon)and thought the hotel and the location were great. Breakfast there is very expensive €43. eat elsewhere for €10 or less.
</font>
Am really diappointed to hear your thumbs down on Violin de Ingres, we ate there Oct 2001 and thought the tasting menu was the best meal we had on that trip to Paris.
(it was also the most expensive ) and was looking forward to a return visit especially since we are likely to stay at Hilton which is within walking distance.
mike

Old Jan 11, 2003, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Try La Traversiere on the Rue Traversiere in the 11th. Metro Ledru-Rollin.Sorry I don't have the exact address and phone number. Had wonderful pate de sanglier and a venison stew. Not nearly as expensive as the restaurants cited above. Very clubby, Germanic feel to the place and game is the specialty of the house in season.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Am really diappointed to hear your thumbs down on Violin de Ingres, we ate there Oct 2001 and thought the tasting menu was the best meal we had on that trip to Paris.
(it was also the most expensive ) and was looking forward to a return visit especially since we are likely to stay at Hilton which is within walking distance.
mike
</font>

To each his own taste. The restaurant was full of Americans(USA), most of whom seemed to be having a great time.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by willie--wonka:
Try La Traversiere on the Rue Traversiere in the 11th. Metro Ledru-Rollin.Sorry I don't have the exact address and phone number. Had wonderful pate de sanglier and a venison stew. Not nearly as expensive as the restaurants cited above. Very clubby, Germanic feel to the place and game is the specialty of the house in season.</font>

I would be interested in trying them on my next trip. I have not yet been able to find them in any of my guide books, but will keep looking.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:56 am

I'll try and get the address and phone here in SF from the people who first took me there. Otherwise, I'll email you after my Feb. run to France with all the particulars.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:11 am

More places for game in Paris: Friday nite ldsant reserved for a bunch of flyertalkers at a restaurant in the 7th that turned out to specialize in game. I had a quite tasty tourte de gibier de volailles. Game stew under a puff pastry dome in a red wine reduction sauce. Magic had a ragout of sanglier and, I think mushrooms.

Le Petit Marguery
9 blvd. du Port-Royal Paris 75013
01 43 31 58 59
Game pates, wild partridge, and lievre a la royale.

Le Pre Catalan
Route de Suresnes
Bois de Bologne Paris 16eme
01 44 14 41 41 Closed Sun,Mon, and 2 weekends
in Feb.

A Sousceyrac
35, rue Faidherbe, Paris 75003
01 43 71 65 30
lievre a la royale every Fri and Sat in season

Au Trou Gascon
40, rue Taine, Paris 75012
01 43 44 34 26

Here's another list of game restaurants that I haven't tried from another foody guide:

L'assiette
18,rue du Chateau, 14th 01 43 22 64 86

Le Bertie's
1,rue Leo Delibes,16th 01 44 34 54 34

A La Biche au Bois
45 Avenue Ledru-Rollin,12th 01 43 43 34 38

Ecaille et Plume
25 rue Duvivier, 7th 01 45 55 06 72

La Grange Bateliere
16, rue de la Grange Bateliere,9th 01 47 70 85 15

Chez Pauline
5, rue Billedo, 1st 01 42 96 20 70

Le Petit Colombier
42, rue des Acacias, 17th 01 43 80 28 54

Make sure to check them all in advance. Restaurants in Paris have been opening and closing faster than usual lately.

and again, an old favority
La Traversiere
40 rue Traversiere, 12th
01 43 44 02 10
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Magic had a ragout of sanglier and, I think mushrooms</font>
It was chesnuts. The mushrooms (can not remember the type) came with the free-range chicken.
I posted some pictures of the plates here

l'auberge bressane
Ouvert le Dimanche
16 Avenue de la Motte Picquet 75007
01 47 05 98 37

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old Feb 22, 2003, 6:39 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by magic111:
Magic had a ragout of sanglier and, I think mushrooms</font>
It was chesnuts. The mushrooms (can not remember the type) came with the free-range chicken.
I posted some pictures of the plates here

l'auberge bressane
Ouvert le Dimanche
16 Avenue de la Motte Picquet 75007
01 47 05 98 37

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited 02-19-2003).]

Really enjoyed dining here a few years ago, the meals was quite good by the whole experience was made that much better by the very friendly staff and great service.
Added plus they are open on Sundays.
I saw a review in Conde Naste, for what its worth with for the subjective comment ' renowned for one of the best coq-au-vin .. in Paris.."
Mike
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:15 am
In memoriam

I know that one should not generally bump up threads this old - but since people made the effort to list many restaurants - I didn't want them to reinvent the wheel.

Any more recent information about the restaurants which were mentioned - or new additions to the list? Also - we will be in Paris in October. Any seasonal items we shouldn't miss besides game? Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.