Buenos Aires - MERGED THREAD

Subscribe
Quote: Buenos Aires is the BEST city with one of the best gay night lifes ever. check out www.thegayguide.com.ar for a good selection of nightlife listings. my favorite was Sitges, and Palacio is supposed to be incredible. feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions
Take him up on his offer! Jason has exceptional knowledge of EZE and will not steer you wrong!
Hotels in Buenos Aires/Claridge?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in Buenos Aires for a gay couple? January 29 - Feb 2 (before Carnival in Rio!) We'd like nice, in a hip part of town. $150/night or less. The Hotel Claridge is $125/night and looks fabulous (with 5 stars). Anyone thoughts?
I am going to EZE in early Jan and from my research it seems that La Recoleta is the area to stay in.
Don't know anything about them, but this looks somewhat like EBAB in Germany:

http://www.friendlyapartments.com/apart.htm
I was in BA in August and stayed at the Intercontinental...a bit out of the way..I would not recomend it. In the Recoleta there was a Sofitel Hotel that friends of mind stayed at and said it was great. Also there is Design Suites Hotel in a cool neigbourhood...definately very cool looking and in a hip neigbouhood although I have read a couple of not so great reviews....in Jan/Feb 05 Wallpaper there is a hotel they claim to be the "best" new hotel...Faena Hotel....www.faenahotelanduniverse.com
Quote: Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in Buenos Aires for a gay couple? January 29 - Feb 2 (before Carnival in Rio!) We'd like nice, in a hip part of town. $150/night or less. The Hotel Claridge is $125/night and looks fabulous (with 5 stars). Anyone thoughts?
I would also recommend a hotel in Recoleta. The area surrounding the Claridge is more akin to a tourist area. While it's by no means as bad as Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, it seems like the kind of place you'd want to visit for a day rather than making it your home base. Recoleta is also touristy but it feels more like a neighborhood - with good shops and places to eat. It's also close[er] to a larger number of gay establishments (there are a few in Recoleta but many others spread all over town).

For hotels, I stayed at Le Etoile in September and it was just fine for what it offered: a $60 room in what is perhaps the best location in town. The rooms were clean and large, but needed a refurb (the decor is very 70's). I understand the Loisuites Recoleta to be very nice and within your price range if you book it through a travel agent - $100-140 per night.
I have stayed at the Claridge twice. It is a nice hotel, and just off Av. Florida, which is interesting asn has good shopping. But most of the gay bars are now a little further north, closer to Recoleta and Palermo. While the "microcentro" has its good points, the Claridge is a little out of the way from the other areas.
Having said this, why not stay in the new section of town called Puerto Madero? Last week I was at the brand new Sofitel there, for only $80.00 per night, and it is beautiful - very chic and European modern. Sure, it is a little further from the older neighborhoods and where the bars are, but taxis are cheap, and Puerto Madero has a lot of great shops and restaurants, and it is easy to hop in a taxi and get around.
I will be there again from 14-21 January, so if anyone is going to be there, let me know. Would love to meet for drinks somewhere.
I can recommend The Wilton Palace on Callao www.hotelwilton.com.ar/nuevo/todo.htm

Its friendly and well located for nightlife/shopping/eating and close to the Metro.
I would recommend you stay in the hotel with the best value or meets your preferences. Buenos Aires taxis are very cheap. For example, we stayed at the Marriot San Martin which was a grande dame of a hotel and was $3 US to the major bars/clubs.

I would second the Puerto Madero section as the hotels are newer. The Hilton has been highly recommended.

The Alvear Palace was also very regal and elegant. Excellent dinner and we were treated very graciously.
I like the Kepeniski hotels. The Park Chateau is my fave, followed by the Park Central down the street. Both are in Ricoletta and can be booked for a reasonable price on expedia. I have ususally paid about $100-$125 Canadian per night. Ricoletta is a nice area, but you must get out and about in BA. Check out Palermo Hollywood and Parlermo SoHo neighbourhoods for great restaurants and bars that locals go to. Check out some great tango at the Club del Vino - not a touristy place.
I'd avoid Puerto Madero as it is too isolated and I would avoid the area around Florida as it is too busy and too touristy.
I am also planning a trip to EZE and was reading the TheGayGuide.Com.Ar and they recommended a hotel in Palermo SoHo called Bourgeois Bohemian Hotel http://www.bobohotel.com/english/index.html that looks interesting. Anyone know anything about it?
In October 2003 I stayed at www.malabiahouse.com.ar and was very pleased. Loads of cool shops and good restaurants nearby.

The rate was 60USD/night with a discount for paying in cash.

Not all rooms are en suite so be sure to specify if that is important to you.

I stayed in the room with the balcony and I'd recommend that to you.
Quote: I can recommend The Wilton Palace on Callao www.hotelwilton.com.ar/nuevo/todo.htm

Its friendly and well located for nightlife/shopping/eating and close to the Metro.
Callao and Santa Fe is definitely the place to be in Buenos Aires. Excellent suggestion, lots of options within walking distance and in the area there's even complimentary transportation to the main discos. Trendy and chic.

Other than that a nice hotel that also sponsors gls activities is a former Courtyard now a Howard-Johnson, near the Marriot.
Quote: I can recommend The Wilton Palace on Callao www.hotelwilton.com.ar/nuevo/todo.htm

I am staying at the Wilton Palace right now and I have to warn against it. I had prepaid for my stay here and stated clearly when I made my booking that I would be arriving for a late check-in. When I got to the hotel they had given away my room and put me up in another hotel for that night (a total dump!!!!) They were quite unapologetic about it and have done very little to show any concern for my situation. All they offered to do was to refund the one night. I would strongly suggest looking into another hotel. The room here is also not very nice, but rather plain with stuffy air. There isn't even an alarm clock! This is not what would be considered a 4-star hotel anywhere else in the world so beware.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  14