Search

Singita/Londolozi and Banyan Tree Seychelles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Singita/Londolozi and Banyan Tree Seychelles

My husband and I are considering a trip to the Seychelles in Sep/Oct of 2004. Our routing would take us through Johannesberg. Well, I had a crazy thought. Not knowing if we would ever be in South Africa again, it occurred to me that we could combine our trip with either Singita or Londolozi. Of course, given our limited time schedule, and all of the transfering that would need to happen, we would only have about 4 full days at each place.

Thoughts? Flames?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:32 am

You can easily do a nice two or three day stay at any one of a number of terrific game parks in SA, then go on to your final destination. Flights on SAA inside South Africa are frequent and great, and you can even store luggage at JNB if you choose. I can recommend a wonderful agent in Jo'burg who we have used several times. Email me if you want. He specializes in this type of thing.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:55 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Wow -- two of my dream trips in one! You're so lucky. Yes, I'd definitely vote for spending some time in S.A. There are regular connecting flights from JNB to the airports near the game lodges. From there, you'll be picked up by a private air taxi & transferred to the airstrip at your lodge. Singita & Londolozi are terrific, as are Mala Mala and Ulusaba and the others in Sabi Sands. (My favorite, Chitwa Chitwa, is also in Sabi Sands.) For a full list, check here: http://sabi.krugerpark.co.za/

Happy planning!

------------------
AIM: RutherfordMurray
Old Sep 12, 2003, 3:32 am

I can tell you right away that 4 nights is not long enough to spend relaxing at Banyan Tree Seychelles. If you combine this with a trip to a Game farm you will be exhausted from all the travelling and transfers and unpacking in 8 days.(4.30 am wake up calls on the farm)
You need to consider that your flight to JNB is very long but then you have another 5 hour flight to SEZ both directions in a small 737 which is very cramped- even in Business-you've got to catch a breather.-never mind the additional charter flights too.
Banyan Tree is quite a bit out of town- if you plan to explore. I find it takes about 4 days just to BEGIN unwinding there. You shouldn't hurry the Banyan Tree experience. You will just ruin it for yourself and all you will remember of your Trip will be a Blur...
Old Sep 12, 2003, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone. Catch22, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Banyan Tree. So few people have actually been there. What type of villa did you get? How was your view, service, etc.?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:04 am

Erica, Banyan Tree is Beautiful and I found it better than the new 6* Ste. Anne Resort
Get the best villa you can afford- Ste. Anne has an unbeatable location but Banyan Tree beats it on everything else. Enjoy your planning.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by catch22:
you have another 5 hour flight to SEZ both directions in a small 737 which is very cramped- even in Business-</font>

The British Airways flight JNB/NBO, operated by Regional Airways, is indeed a 737, but not at all cramped in business class. In fact, it's much more comfortable than the corresponding BA flights in South Africa operated by Comair. The service and food is also much better. And NBO/SEZ, operated by BA itself, is a 747.

As for the Banyan Tree, it's simply hard to imagine that any hotel could be worth their prices. The island is beautiful and the people are great -- you don't need to exile yourself to a luxury hotel. In fact, you'll be missing out on the best part of the Seychelles.

Old Sep 16, 2003, 4:13 am

I refer to the only direct scheduled service from South Africa JNB-SEZ which is Air Seychelles. (Why on earth travel up to Kenya and out to the Islands? never mind the added expense) and I stand by my comments with regards to the service.

The Seychelles caters for all sorts except possibly the budget traveller. (it's very expensive) If you are considering Luxury then Banyan Tree is It. North Island and Fregate Island are also more expensive options.

[This message has been edited by catch22 (edited 09-16-2003).]
Old Sep 16, 2003, 5:27 pm

The price for travel from JNB to SEZ depends very much on the type of ticket. In my case, for business class travel, it turned out to be far less expensive to use BA through NBO. It is very inconvenient, however, because BA’s JNB/NBO flight arrives in NBO after the BA flight has left for SEZ. And that flight operates only two or three times a week.

The fact of the matter is that the Seychelles are overflowing with budget travelers, mainly Italians who get very cheap package deals from Rome. There is plenty of accommodation for backpackers and low budget tourists, as well as numerous self-catering facilities. Nonetheless, it is generally true that the mid-range of hotel accommodation, in the three to four star range, is over-priced and not of very high standard.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:29 am

Actually the Seychelles are rather quiet. I wouldn't say overflowing with backpackers and budget travellers. The big market is Honeymooners especially from Italy now.
The problem is that there are no charter flights allowed-unlike the Maldives and Mauritius and regular flights are hardly cheap. Even at the low end of the market prices are exhorbitant...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:59 pm

Let's just wait for reports from others.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

From what I've read, I'd say both Catch22's and Ajnaro's assessments are correct. It has been a budget/backpacker travel destination for many years and only recently established itself as something more luxurious.

As for the cost of the ticket, we would be using miles for most of the trip, so its not a concern.

Besides the Banyan Tree in the Seychelles, we are also looking at Ste. Anne Resort. Do either of you know anything about it?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Catch22, I just realized that you were the one who brought Ste. Anne to my attention. The island and villas look fantastic. It sounds like you're saying the service and accomodations overall weren't that great? How was the swimming, snorkeling etc.? If we don't end up doing the safari bit, we would consider doing both the Banyan Tree and another resort in the Seychelles.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:50 am

I got married at Ste. Anne's this year and it really was incredibly special.
That said, there are a couple of things worth knowing. Firstly be aware that there are 2 monsoon seasons in the Seychelles and if you visit Ste.Anne during the "wrong" one it is very windy and snorkelling/diving is impossible. The resort is smack bang in the middle of a marine park and one would think that the snorkelling is paradise- and the Resort would have you believe it- However, the coral is all dead and dying. This was a huge shock and disappointment.
and the water is knee deep for a long way around the Island
so you need to catch the snorkelling boat which only runs two trips per day depending on the wind.
There are two resturants at the resort and distances are vast- you get shuttled everywhere on golf carts (no golf course there) I found the food to be pretty disappointing- too gourmet and not enough fun-if you know what I mean. Also the resturants despite the different names- basically serve the same type of food.
Other than that, it is a stunning place to go, providing you don't count on snorkeling or exploring- Ferries to the mainland do not run at night. The clientele is mostly honeymooners and couples with children. And oh yes, the food and drink prices will floor you. I thought I was in Tokyo.

[This message has been edited by catch22 (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 18, 2003, 6:16 pm

I certainly agree about snorkeling – Hawaii, Fernando de Noronha, and other more accessible places are much better. I remember telling the boatman “les poissons sont en vacances”, but he produced bits of stale bread and fish appeared. And the water in many places is indeed too shallow to even think of swimming. As for accommodation, I preferred to stay in the mountains, away from the beach, since the scene down there seemed too crowded and touristy (and I live on Copacabana beach anyway). Every restaurant I tried was indifferent or awful, independently of price level. You may as well use the numerous take-away counters, some of which offer reasonable creole food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.