Wiki Posts
Search

tell us about your most "non essential" trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2003, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

tell us about your most "non essential" trip

Many of us have had our mileage runs, but I don't consider those non essential.

My most non-essential trip was from Hongkong to Macau. Macau turned out to be a weird, paranoid place with a great restaurant we somehow found. I was quite happy to return to Hongkong.

What is your most frivolous, non essential trip story?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Probably two trips to London to attend FT gatherings, one in January 2002 and one early last month. In both cases I left the States on Friday evening and returned Sunday. In retrospect, both were worth it.

(There are those who would argue that attending an FT dinner does not qualify as "non-essential.")
Old Mar 25, 2003, 5:15 pm

My friends and I often jump on airplanes to attend sports events -- just because we enjoy doing so. We've done Mets-Cubs at Wrigley, Monday Night Football in Denver, NASCAR races, etc.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
I remember reading about an English guy that had to live in Chicago for a few months as part of a work project. He was part of a soccer team in the UK and the first match they played without him they lost severely. Feeling guilty the guy flew over from Chicago to London to play all the following matches and flew home after the game. He somehow managed to get his company to pay for the flights and in Business Class as he claimed that he would not be suitable for work on Monday morning if he flew coach.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 6:50 pm

A trip about 2 months ago to Florida for a family reunion that I really didnt want to go to, that was then cancelled by the organizer.

I had nonrefundable tix so I went anyway.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Confluence of events:
Needed miles
Needed a few cases of wine
Esaver to San Francisco
Had a free weekend

Was on the ground for less than 24...still a fun story to tell.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
EWR-LAX to see the worlds oldest living plant - a creosote bush in the desert outside of Palm Springs.

I failed to find it and need to go back with better directions. Anyone want to join me?

[This message has been edited by lensman (edited 03-25-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I failed to find it and need to go back with better directions. Anyone want to join me? </font>
Sounds too essential
Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew AMS-HKG in CX F to pick up a new cellphone.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Every now and then we get tired with the stuff on Broadway and head across to the West End for a quick weekend to see a show and grab some beers.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 8:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Was in South Bend, IN, and had my host drive me up U.S. 31 until we just crossed the Michigan state line and then we u-turned back -- so I could add Michigan to my list of states that I have been in.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
London to see a play - 1 night there. Next month (90% probability) Santiago to see a concert.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
EWR-LAX to see the worlds oldest living plant - a creosote bush in the desert outside of Palm Springs.

I failed to find it and need to go back with better directions. Anyone want to join me?
</font>
You mean there weren't markers and signs and stuff?
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
Was in South Bend, IN, and had my host drive me up U.S. 31 until we just crossed the Michigan state line and then we u-turned back -- so I could add Michigan to my list of states that I have been in.</font>
I hope you got out of your car had both feet on the ground in Michigan; otherwise you can't count it.

But at least there were markers and signs and stuff that told you when you were in Michigan. Or so I presume.

[This message has been edited by LastClass (edited 03-25-2003).]
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:
London to see a play - 1 night there. Next month (90% probability) Santiago to see a concert. </font>
Santiago's a great place! What's the concert?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.