Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at OGG" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Consolidated "Layover at OGG" thread

Hello all, i have a 5 hour layover in OGG, any suggestions on what to do? should i rent a car for the day? Any shuttles from the airport to nearby locations? any advice would be most appriciated
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I can think of three things:

1) Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum

2) Upcountry art galleries and shops

3) Head to beach, watch wind surfers

You won't be able to linger at any of these, but with a rental car, you might be able to spend two hours at one of these spots.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 5:16 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Hang out in Paia. It's a fun and funky town not far from the airport - 25 min. max.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:57 pm

Location: Dearborn, Michigan, NW Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
1) Have lunch or dinner at Mama's Fish House (in Paia or Kuau, I cant remember).

2) Visit the Maui Tropical Plantation on 30 near Waikapu. A little touristy but not bad. Tram ride through the property showing many crops, plants and flower species in Hawai'i.

3) Go to the Maui Ocean Center in Maalaea Harbor. Largest aquarium in Hawai'i.

What would I do? Drive to Kaanapali Beach and have a few Mai Tai's at the Hula Grill. It is right on the beach at Whaler's Village. Hawaiian music, fantastic sunsets, awesome. It will be pushing it but it would be worth it.

I am a little rusty on how long it takes to drive from the airport to Kaanapali Beach. Maybe 45 minutes? Maybe someone else can help with this.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:48 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
12 hour Maui OGG layover - any suggestions

Hope some folks have some good suggestions, I have a 12 hour layover, from 6 am till 6 pm about in Maui and it's my first trip there ever. Looked up and there's no Continental President's Club room or associated Club room that I found in OGG. Anybody know of a cheap day hotel room or rate or just a simple nap / shower type location in the area?

I'm flying in all night, then will catch an all night flight out. So heading to the beach or sight seeing isn't on my must do list. A relaxing / restful location is better.

Thanks !
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Though there aren't very many nice hotels around Kahului Airport, you might look into one with an airport shuttle, the Maui Beach Hotel near Kahului Bay comes to mind. Secondly, there are no showers at the Hawaiian Air or Aloha Air Club (the only two at Kahului Airport), but you may try getting a pass for them.

Again, this begs the question... how'd you end up with a 12 hour layover at OGG?

aloha
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a 7 hour OGG layover a few years ago. I couldn't find any local Kahului hotel that offered day rates. You can get a room at the hotel that slippahs mentions for about $100. Their airport shuttle runs from 7am to 7pm, if I recall.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:57 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Hi and thanks Slippah & PremEx,

I live in Micronesia but this trip I'm going straight from Hong Kong and take the island hopper out of Guam on Continental to Honolulu that lands at 2:30 am, then a code share that departs Honolulu at 5:30 am over to OGG that lands at like 6 am. Then I depart on Continental from OGG to IAH and that departs OGG at 7:20 pm.

So actually I have a 13 hour layover at OGG !! I know terrible flights. Starting in Asia then over to Guam then the island hopper to have a 12 + hour layover during the day at OGG, then an all night flight to IAH.

HNL I'm used to the layovers and know the area, but it's the first time they've shuttled me to OGG just to catch a plane to IAH. I have to take the island hopper from Guam to HNL as I need the stops in the islands to see family even if it is for an hour each stop and drop off items / pick up items.

It saves me a seven hour middle of the night layover in HNL but gives me a full day in Maui. Unfortunately, seeing an island / beach / aquarium doesn't excite me since I live on an island.

Thanks for your help, any great ideas jump up in the future I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Kulo (Mahalo)
Old Nov 17, 2004, 2:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I suppose you could catch a movie to kill some time - I think there are some at the Queen Kaahumanu Mall up the road from OGG. There is also the Maui Palms (shudder) hotel, which is spartan and old, but does have a shuttle and should be cheap. I'd suspect a $50-$75 bid on Priceline should get you a room in Kahului.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break
what are your options?

If renting a car is one of your options, I would do that. Then I would drive over to Kaanapali and buy me a day pass for the spa at the Hyatt which will entitle you to use of the facilities, showers, steam room, etc. After that flight, I think I would even treat myself to a massage,which would include use of the facilities. I'd even possibly pop into Lahaina and poke around. Then I would drive over to Wailea and have lunch at the Tommy Bahama Cafe at the Shops at Wailea. (The pulled pork sandwich is really good!). If you don't want to drive to Kaanapali, then I would just get a massage or day pass for the pass at the Grand Wailea. It's not as inexpensive as the Hyatt, I think it's $75 just for a day pass at GW, but they have alot more in regards to facilities. Also, you could chill there for most of the day, so it might be worth it instead of getting a room. If not getting a car is the option, then I'm not sure what to do, especially if you want to shower, etc. I wouldn't do the Maui Palms if they paid me, but that's just me. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Four hour layover on Maui this Saturday night. What can I do?

I have a four hour layover this Saturday in Maui between 7pm and 11pm. What can I do? Is there a nice restaurant/beach bar near the airport? (I'm ok renting a car or cab). Any nice hike or views that I can do in such short period of time?

Worse case: is there a nice lounge at the airport to visit? I'm ok paying the fee.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:39 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rubenj
Any nice hike or views that I can do in such short period of time?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, it's going to be dark (you'll miss sunset by an hour or so), so hikes and/or views aren't going to be safe/worthwhile. Four hours should be fine to tool around Kahalui (lots of local restaurants (and fast food)) - I think it would be pushing it to go into Lahaina or Wailea/Kihei and have dinner. I think the only lounge is HA - and not much to write home about.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
First, I'd suggest perusing the things to do in Maui Master Thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...do-thread.html If $$ is no object I'd suggest getting a car, or cab, and heading East a few miles to Mama's Fish House for an awesome meal. It's one of the top 2 or 3 rated restaurants on Maui. Or, head South to Kihei and eat at a rest. there. It's only a 15 or 20 min. drive. Lahaina has a lot of rest. choices but is a 45-55 min. drive each way.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I guess I'll go to Mama's fish house (been there before, can't think of anything better in the area). Hopefully there will be a good bar in the area with view to the beach.

Cheapest car rental was $38 all-in. So, that should be cheaper than a cab round-trip, and probably more flexible.

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: AA 3MM, AA Executive Platinum
Try Hali'imaile General Store..About the same distance from OGG and it isn't a tourist trap like Mama's.

http://www.bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.