Wiki Posts
Search

Post Amtrak Codes Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Post Amtrak Codes Here!

Interested in taking over this thread? Then please see post #315. Thanks!

Updated on June 15, 2005 - sorry, it had been a while!

Hello All,

I just wanted to say that at Flyertalk, we welcome anyone interested in travel. The purpose of this thread isn't necessarily a "Can you help me find a cheaper fare from X-Y?" but a place to share information on available discounts. Before asking for help, please try to help yourselves. If available, the terms & conditions of each code is posted below. If your travel meets these terms & conditions, then try test-selling - choose the fare you're most comfortable with. We welcome the new folks here readily, but I would like to request that if you're looking for a specific fare, that you realize that the majority of us are not travel agents and that although we're willing to help you out, it's always appreciated if you try to help yourself first - then maybe we can help you out a little more.

Thanks!

***Please post on this thread if a code is old & doesn't work anymore OR if you've found a new one that does work & I will try to keep it updated.***

Tips from Amtrak - Tips for Using Promo Codes (thanks dberry!)

For current sales, check out Amtrak’s Rail Sale page.

Current Promos:

Ongoing – 15% off Senior & Student Fares (for Student Fares, you must have a Student Advantage Card - see post #3 in the Mileage Run Tools thread for a little bit more info on this.)

H545 Appears to be a buy 2 tickets, get a discount on tickets 3-6 - decker0 PM'ed me the details below - not sure about what routes its valid on though?

* The 3rd through 6th Passengers Save 90%
* Offer valid for sale until September 30, 2005.
* Offer valid for travel between May 19, 2005 and December 15, 2005.

From Frommers:

If you're traveling with a friend in the northeast, go for V756. That gets you 50% off the second ticket for two people traveling together. It works on all Northeast Corridor trains except Metroliners and Acelas from now through June 30, except from February 18-21 and March 24-28. For couples, this can be big savings. If that one doesn't work, V753, V730 and V755 are all very similar.

Celebrate the Coast Starlight's Return and Save 25% - See GoAmtrak's post for details!

Amtrak Hotels.com Rebate Offer - Save 25.00 on a 2-night or more Hotels.com stay - see Amtrak's post for details!

V242 – 20 percent off Midwest Travel Mon-Thurs, 3 day advance purchase, Expire June 16, 2005 (thanks Aces & NYVenturecapital)

Midwest Midweek Getaways

Use Promotion Code V242
Save 20% on Amtrak travel.
Special rates at participating B&B's and Hotels - See NYventurecapital's post for hotel details

Get a 20% discount when traveling on select trains within Illinois and Missouri from Tuesday to Thursday. Communities in Illinois and Missouri are offering special rates at many Bed & Breakfast's and Hotels.
Valid on Trains 300, 301, 303, 304, 305, 306, 347, 348, 391 and 392 from January 4 - June 16, 2005, on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

X203- 20% off best available adult rail to Vermont Mondays through Thursdays and 10% off Fridays through Sundays. Valid for sale through 12/14 and for travel through 12/15. Holiday blackouts apply. (Thanks, Boss77!)

This offer valid for ten (10) percent off the best available regular (full) adult, senior, disabled adult, Student and Veterans Advantage, AAA and NARP members discounted adult rail fare. Reservations must be made through the Amtrak web site at www.amtrak.com to qualify for this discount except for disabled passengers who must call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245) to make reservations using this special offer and to receive the Amtrak discount for disabled passengers. Reservations must be made at least three (3) days prior to departure and are non-refundable once purchased. Offer valid for reservations: September 12, 2004 - December 15, 2004 and for travel September 15, 2004 - February 28, 2005. Blackouts apply for the following dates: November 23-30, 2004, December 17, 2004 - January 2, 2005, February 18-21, 2005. Up to 2 children ages 2-15 may accompany each paid adult at 1/2 of the discounted adult rail fare. Not valid on the Cascades, Acela Express, Metroliner, Canadian portions of joint Amtrak/VIA Rail service to Ontario, 7000-8999 Thruways or for local travel on Northeast Corridor trains (Boston, MA/Albany, NY - Washington, DC) departing during peak travel periods (Friday and Sunday between 9:00 am-6:59 pm). Fares, routes and schedules subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Please refer to Promotion Code H431.

V626 NEC Corridor - valid through 9/30/05! - Amtrak has just made it a little easier for guests to experience some of Rhode Island’s fine hotels, attractions, and events, introducing Visit RI Fares. Good for travel June 1st, 2004 through September 30th, 2005, guests en route from the Northeast Corridor can save 20% off Amtrak’s regular adult rail and discounted fare for up to two children on all unreserved trains to Westerly, Kingston and Providence! Convenient and affordable, Visit RI Fares is valid with at least one night in the Ocean State, some restrictions and blackout H431 (Thanks, Reindeerflame!) - In conjunction with the launch of the revamped Amtrak.com website. Note that this discount is "stackable" with certain other discounts, providing a total effective savings of 19% on AAA/NARP. This is not quite as good as the 20% available with V148, but the new discount may be used for travel into early 2005, while V148 expires in mid-November.
dates do apply. For more information or reservations call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit www.amtrak.com and request discount code V626.

H405Kids Ride Free on the Capitol Corridor - For Capitol Corridor Kids Ride Free on Weekends Offer: This offer is valid for sale between 01 March 04 – 20 March 05 and travel between 03 April 04 – 20 March 05. Blackouts apply: 08-12 April 04, 28 May - 01 June 04, 02-05 July 04, 03-06 September 04, 23-30 November 04, 17 December 04 - 02 January 05, 18-21 February 05. This offer is valid for up to two free children's rail fare tickets for children ages 2-15 with the purchase of one regular (full) adult, senior or disabled discounted adult Amtrak ticket. Free child(ren) and adult(s) must travel together at all times and have tickets issued at the same time. This offer is valid on the following services: Capitol Corridor trains and associated Thruways, except not valid on 7000-8999 Thruways. Offer is subject to any restrictions, blackouts and exchange and refund fees that apply to the type of fare purchased and upon which the discount is based. Free child is subject to the same restrictions and conditions as the fare-paying passenger. Other restrictions may apply. Please refer to discount code H405.

H459 - Buy-1-Get-1 Free for College Visits or for Parents traveling with High School aged kids - Note, I did some tests with this code - it appears that once you register (with whatever info you feel like), it takes to a coupon page that you print out. According to the coupon, you can use the check-in kiosk.
http://www.campusvisit.com/amtrak/

The next few are thanks to Boss77:

V756 - Save 50% off the best available fare for one companion traveling with a paid regular (full fare) adult, senior citizen or disabled discounted rail fare ticket when traveling on Amtrak to Baltimore, Valid for sale through June 27, 2005, and valid for travel between Jan. 4 and June 30, 2005. Blackouts apply for 2005: March 24-28. Reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance of travel. Discount is valid for travel in the Northeast Corridor on Amtrak Regional trains. Travel on Acela Express and Metroliner is prohibited.

V737 - Save 50% off the best available fare for one companion traveling with a paid regular (full fare) adult, senior citizen or disabled discounted rail fare ticket when traveling on Amtrak to Baltimore, Valid for sale between Jan. 2 and Dec. 12, 2005, and valid for travel between Jan. 5 and June Dec. 15, 2005. Blackouts apply for 2005: March 24-28, May 27-30, July 1-4, Sept. 2-5, and Nov. 22-29. Reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance of travel. Discount is valid for travel in the Northeast Corridor on Amtrak Regional trains. Travel on Acela Express and Metroliner is prohibited.

V760 - Save 50% off the best available fair for one companion traveling with a paid regular (full fare) adult, senior citizen or disabled discounted rail fare ticket when traveling on Amtrak to and from Lancaster ,Pa. Valid for sale through Nov. 27, 2005, and valid for travel from March 15 through Nov. 30, 2005. Blackouts apply for 2005: March 24-28, May 27-30, July 1-4, Sept. 2-5, and Nov. 22-29. Reservations must be made at least 3 days in advance of travel. Discount is valid for travel in the Northeast Corridor on Amtrak Regional trains. Travel on Acela Express and Metroliner is prohibited.

Veteran's Advantage - 15% off Unlike Student Advantage, I'm guessing you really do have to be a veteran for this one - http://www.veteransadvantage.com/par...amtrak-50.html

Information on the NARP discount - http://www.narprail.org/dis.htm

I always test sell all the codes as sometimes codes are valid on a route that we don't think they are valid on, so it doesn't hurt to try. It usually only takes about an extra 10 minutes.

When doing test sells, I recommend trying to do it off of the AAA rate first - if that doesn't work, try doing it off the regular rate.

Check the last few pages for current codes - I’ll try to keep this updated regarding current Amtrak promos & codes – if I slack off on it, I apologize in advance

Hope this helps people out!

Last edited by bhatnasx; Jul 7, 2005 at 9:22 pm Reason: Adding Codes...
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:44 am
21A

See http://homepage.mac.com/mkincaid/amtk.html

[This message has been edited by mkincaid (edited 10-13-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Way to be more descriptive! Thanks for going through all that - I'm sure this will be a great resource.

FYI - for the "Coupon Required" ones, such as the Ent. Book 10% off, you don't really have to present your coupon if you are ticketing at a major station that has electronic ticketing. At WAS, you can reserve it online or even over the telephone & go to the self-ticket machines & swipe your credit card & the ticket pops out.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:07 am

Programs: National Rental - Executive
Outstanding! Bhatnasx and MKincaid - thank you for the great resource.

Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:34 am
21A

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bhatnasx:
FYI - for the "Coupon Required" ones, such as the Ent. Book 10% off, you don't really have to present your coupon if you are ticketing at a major station that has electronic ticketing. At WAS, you can reserve it online or even over the telephone & go to the self-ticket machines & swipe your credit card & the ticket pops out. </font>
Hah - cool trick, thanks for the advice. Now I wish they'd install one of those machines in San Jose (nearest one is Oakland...)

I can't get get H215 to work online - do you know of an itinerary where it will? No big deal, it appears it is reservable with a phone agent though not with "Julie". Not combinable with Student Advantage or AAA, by the way.

If anyone else runs across other codes, please post them here as well.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 6:19 pm

From the "Take it Easy, Take Amtrak: Amtrak & the National Park Service present Trails & Rails" brochure:

"To receive a 5% discount off the lowest available Amtrak fare present a valid National Park Pass and photo ID at time of ticketing. Offer valid on select trains only. This discount is valid for a family up to four. Offer not combinable with other offers, promotions, or discount."

No other details provided:

- No discount code number given.
- Excluded trains are not specified.

Best to just show Amtrak this brochure to an Amtrak agent since without a code it may be difficult to prove that this fare exists.

Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:15 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Doh!! I just paid for Student Advantage membership a week ago. Will definetly remember this one for the future.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mkincaid:
Lastly, if you're a student, go to http://studentadvantage.com/enrollment and enter any Amtrak ticket number as the promotion code: voila, free card - and 20% off - for a year. After the year, you can always do it again; this loophole has worked at least twice in a row now. (Don't have Amtrak ticket stock handy? If you have an AGR account log into http://amtrakguestrewards.com ; posted travel transactions will show a ticket number: copy and paste.)
</font>
Old Aug 2, 2003, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Double doh! All I have a Student Advantage card for is the 15% Amtrak discount! I just renewed at the beginning of July, too. I've got approximately 200 hundred ticket stubs in stacks on my desk. Anyone need a ticket number?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 7:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByeByeDelta:
Double doh! All I have a Student Advantage card for is the 15% Amtrak discount! I just renewed at the beginning of July, too. I've got approximately 200 hundred ticket stubs in stacks on my desk. Anyone need a ticket number?</font>
YGM!
Old Aug 6, 2003, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travelmad478:
Using my fellow FTers' excellent work on ferreting out promotion codes, I just went online to book a ticket. I picked my train, input the promotion code, was given the discounted fare, and hit "Book Selection." The next screen informed me that my credit card had been charged...for the full fare! Hey, what happened to my discount? I hopped on the phone ("Agent!!") and got this straightened out so that I now have the discounted price, but no one could explain why the website originally priced the promotion correctly and then charged me a higher fare when I bought the ticket. Keep this in mind when you're booking...you may need to work a little harder than you thought.</font>
was posted in another topic, but it is prudent to post this here.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Thanks--that was me. By the way, I just made the return trip today and tried the same online purchase (using code V707) again in the other direction. This time, it worked fine. Go figure.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:11 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
This may be a California only promotion....Pick up a coupon from any Sizzler (call first, the one I went to only had two left) for buy one get one free Adult, Senior or Student fare on the following routes:
-Coast Starlight
-Empire Builder
-California Zephyr
-Southwest Chief
-Sunset Limited
-Texas Eagle

Discount Code H333

You can't book it on-line & must present coupon at station to ticket (you can hold a reservation 24 hours via phone).

Purchse thru 11/20/03 travel between 07/08/03 and 11/20/03.

Since they only had two left where I went I don't have any extras . If I can find another Sizzler near-by, I'll try to get a few to offer to fellow FT'rs. This is a bit of work to take advantage of, but a great deal.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
On H215, I got nixed by the ticket guy at Alexandria. He wanted the actual cert before I could get the discount. He collected the cert from me as well.

As to online booking, the H215 states that it cannot be used over the internet - it must be done on the phone or with an agent.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ITRADE:
On H215, I got nixed by the ticket guy at Alexandria. He wanted the actual cert before I could get the discount. He collected the cert from me as well.

As to online booking, the H215 states that it cannot be used over the internet - it must be done on the phone or with an agent.
</font>
ITRADE - for future ref, if you need an H215, let me know, i think i may have one at home - don't know whether your willing to or not, but instead of getting on in alexandria, union station has the electronic ticketing where you can call over the phone & make your reservations and then swipe your card at the e-ticket booth - not positive this will work, but i imagine that it would since this what my sister does sometimes.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
So, I priced a ticket on Regional from NYP to BWI, using the promo code V529 with Business Class accommodation added. Is this valid? The Amtrak website did process the discount, with the separate Business seat cost added on top. The promo code website states that the discount is only valid in coach travel on Regional. Will this be a problem when I check in, i.e. will they not honor the discount/business seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.