Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Information on How to Sponsor United e-Upgrades" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; IC RA

New and updated guide:
The black art of sponsoring United e-upgrades

revised March 20, 2009

Note: Please do not use this thread (or any other in any airline/hotel forum) to request/offer upgrades or certs or "coupons." Per the announcement at the top of this forum, all such requests/offers must be in Coupon Connection, per Randy Petersen.

This primer is in three parts:
1. Using united.com to sponsor upgrades
2. The tried-and-true old fashioned way to sponsor upgrades
3. Other stuff you should know.

First, a few fundamentals regarding e-upgrades:
  • The receiver of the upgrade should always know the name and city in which the sponsoring member receives mail from United Airlines. Generally we are all sponsoring close friends so this is not an issue, but in any event UA has been known to call up the receiver of a sponsored upgrade to quiz him or her about the sponsor (in order to flush-out those trafficking in coupons). Check-in agents have also been known to quiz the receiver too.
  • UA now has an excellent FAQ regarding all of the various methods of upgrading here.
  • The system “reserves” SWUs and CR1's from your e-account upon booking the upgrade.
  • The sponsor must either authorize the upgrade online at united.com or appear at a UA counter to present ID sometime before the passenger checks in, signing a blue form (Auditor's Coupon) indicating that the award was not bartered or sold (note that sharing the same last name no longer eliminates this requirement).
  • Although generally an electronic certificate, paper certificates do exist. They are generally printed at the gate to those who must take an involuntary downgrade (due to change of aircraft, etc), or for SWUs to be used on a standby basis on Lufthansa. Paper certificates carry the same terms and conditions as the electronic ones (profile name: UG-SYSTEM), but have zero hassle involved since you simply hand it to the person you wish to upgrade!

1. Using united.com to sponsor upgrades

On united.com you navigate
Mileage Plus --> E-Upgrades --> Sponsor upgrade
... and then put the last name and record locator of the person you want to upgrade. Follow the prompts, and that should do it! The following direct link might be useful if the web site navigation links are not working:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,3832,00.html

Then click on "sponsor upgrade"

It is wise to print out the web page you are looking at while sponsoring the upgrade so you have something to fax to MP should there be any problems later on. It is also a good idea for the receiver of the upgrade to call United soon thereafter to ensure the sponsored upgrade has been effected on the record (and get seat assignments at that point should it not be waitlisted).

It seems the online upgrade sponsorship system has a number of shortcomings:
  • You may get an error message if the itinerary includes any non-UA-operated flight (for example 4 digit flight numbers will often cause this problem... SkyWest operated UA metal, etc.)
  • Does not work for paper tickets, only e-tickets.
  • Sometimes it will not allow you to sponsor just one segment. So, for example if the overwater is waitlisted the receiver of the upgrade should probably sponsor the upgrade on his own with another instrument (such as 500 milers) for the short domestic flights, then ask the sponsor to select the entire journey. You can then call UA to ensure the sponsored SWU is only applied to the more valuable overwater flight -- otherwise his SWU could be wasted on the domestic portion.

If one is having a problem either confirming or waitlisting an upgrade, call web support at 1-800-589-5582 and explain that you can not get the SWU(or CR1) upgrade to process on the website. Some have reported that they can manually process the request or confirm the upgrade booking on the phone for you without having to sign an authorization.

Also, if you successfully sponsor the upgrade online there is no need to go to the airport as per the next section...

2. The tried-and-true old fashioned way to sponsor upgrades

OK, so the on-line system didn't work for you?
Here then is the tried-and-true method to make all of this work smoothly

Follow these 5 steps and you can’t go wrong

1. The receiver of the upgrade should know the sponsor's mileage plus number before purchasing the economy class itinerary (or business class if on 3-class aircraft upgrading to first), telling the customer service representative that he/she wishes to confirm an upgrade at the time using so-and-so's e-upgrade (CR1, SWU or miles). Some have reported that it is not necessary to know the MP number of the sponsor's account (the sponsor can input this in Step 3), but my experience is that generally the reservation agent is going to want to know this in order to confirm that there are e-upgrades (or miles) available in the account.

2. Before hanging up, be sure the agent inserts a note into the UNITED FIELD that the person sponsoring the upgrade is planning to appear at a UA ticket counter to sign the Auditor's Coupon authorizing the use of the award.

3. Before the person giving the upgrade goes to the airport to sign the Auditor's Coupon (we FlyerTalkers sometimes refer to it as the "bluey"), it might be a good idea to print out the steps required to do this as per UAX@SFO's most excellent post here. It has come in handy for me a few times when I met up with an agent who was unfamiliar with the process.

With ID in hand, ensure the counter agent confirms that the UNITED FIELD is filled out to specify what ticket counter the sponsor arrived at, on what date, the name of the counter agent, etc. in case there are any questions later. It is also critical that the sponsor of the upgrade politely ask the counter agent to make a photocopy of the Auditor's Coupon to mail off to the receiver of the upgrade. Experience has shown that the agent will be happy to do this if you explain that sometimes there are problems and the Auditor's Coupon is the only documentation the receiver of the upgrade has when they check in -- no matter how well things are documented in the computer. In most cases they really are just printing two copies of the coupon, not making a photocopy of it, so it should not take any time at all for them to accommodate you.

Last but certainly not least, before leaving the airport, get on your cell phone, call UA and make sure everything was done correctly. This eliminates the need to go back again to the airport if the counter agent messed up!

4. In the rare event that no copy of the coupon is afforded the sponsor, he or she may wish to then write a "gift letter" for the receiver of the upgrade to have in hand upon check in. The signed letter could reference the record locater (PNR); that the sponsor has authorized the use of this electronic certificate by signing a blue form at {airport name} on {what date}; and perhaps the name of the counter agent who assisted with the form at the time it was signed. Some also like to include a phrase that it is the understanding of the sponsor that these upgrades are transferable, and that the sponsor has not received any compensation for assisting with the upgrade. Notarizing the letter might also be a good idea. This optional letter should eliminate any problems for the receiver upon step 5...

5. When the receiver checks in he or she should once again ask the counter agent to review the UNITED FIELD where it will be clear that the upgrade for the leg has been confirmed to be taken from the sponsor's MP account. This needs to be done both on the outbound and on the inbound as well. I also like to follow cblaisd's advice to always use my cell phone to call the Mileage Plus automated line and make sure the correct number of 500s, CR1s and SWUs are still there.

3. Other stuff you should know.

Waitlisting on a sponsored e-upgrade
Can you sign the bluey before the UG clears? Yes, thank goodness! Otherwise there would be real problems, especially when flights are crowded and we end up clearing at the gate. If the waitlist doesn't clear, it is unlikely that they will pull an SWU or CR1 incorrectly since pulling one requires a specific act on the part of the gate agent, and it can be easily verified that the person was not upgraded. I think it probably will be more common that a person will clear the waitlist at the gate and the upgrade is not pulled, given the rush of the moment.

(Special thanks to kevino for his invaluable input on this section)

What happens should the waitlist not clear?
The upgrade reverts back to the original sponsor's electronic account. This usually happens within about 24 hours.

Changing itinerary, dates, etc.
E-upgrades are endorsed to a PNR (record locator). If your friend cancels the reservation, then the e-upgrades go back to your account. If he/she just changes the intinerary and still has the same PNR reference, then the endorsement stays intact.

Thanks to SJC for this bit of advice!

What to do when the upgrade did not get pulled from the sponsor's account
Despite our best efforts, sometimes one of the following happens:
1. The passenger got upgraded yet neither the sponsor's nor receiver's account was touched {this happens once in a while}. Er, ahem, what would you do?

2. The receiver is forced to use some other method to upgrade (500 milers or his own e-upgrade) because at check in the agent insists there is nothing in the record to indicate the sponsor's account should be used {or "it is impossible to do this" etc.}. In this case the consensus among most FT'ers seems to be that it is best to politely go ahead for now with alternative upgrade methods -- or, heaven forbid take a downgrade

With boarding ticket in hand, the receiver can then call Mileage Plus to have them sort it out... replacing the 500 milers (or miles pulled, CR1, SWU, etc.) and taking the upgrade from the sponsor's account. If steps 1 thru 3 have been done correctly, there will be more than adequate information in the UNITED FIELD for Mileage Plus to see what happened. Note that phone reservations agents are not empowered to fix this. Only Mileage Plus or supervisors at a check in counter can sort it out. So unless you are calling outside of normal business hours it is best to call Mileage Plus, not Reservations... otherwise you will still have to go to a supervisor to complete the fix.

See you in First Class!
xpacific

Last edited by xpacific; Mar 20, 2009 at 8:02 pm Reason: Inserted direct link to sponsor upgrades on UA web site
Old Nov 10, 2003, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
xpacific - some good advice and much/most of it is covered on various United board threads. Is there any reason this belongs in this Forum was my immediate response as it is totally UA specific?

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from UA 747-400 exit row 15A near you SOON!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with you Oz - however, I think he has put it here because it has to do with gifting upgrades and this is the coupon connection. Hope you're enjoy San Juan!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 5:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
xpacific discussed this most helpful thread with me, and I agreed that it was appropriate here given the amount of gifting of Confirmed Regionals that happens here. If someone would like to cross-reference this post in the United forum, that would be good too!

Chuck
aka cblaisd
Moderator, Coupon Connection
Old Nov 10, 2003, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

I wonder if the 2004 electronic SWUs are going to as difficult to gift? Any speculations?

[This message has been edited by xpacific (edited November 11, 2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 7:08 pm

Wow..cool thread. Maybe you ought to post a link or something in the United Forum, as this is really usefull stuff.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 4:07 pm

I'd like to add that at all times one should keep a few tylenol and a water bottle next to your cell phone throughout the entire process.

[This message has been edited by crankyusi (edited Nov 13, 2003).]
Old Nov 13, 2003, 6:10 pm

Programs: Many
The ones I did for my sisters-in-law in October were real nail-biters that's for sure...
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:39 am
MGL

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Thanks for posting this, xpacific. Used a friend's HK49s for a trip this weekend. Worked like a charm on both the outbound and the return! Previously and without the aid of xpacific's info, I've had spotty success in upgrading with someone else's HK49s. This time, didn't need to say a word or guide the CSR through the process--just showed up at the ticket counter, mentioned I was using a friend's HK49s to upgrade, and let the CSR do their work.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Hey, good to hear from you again MGL! Happy to know the information was useful on your recent trip.

[This message has been edited by xpacific (edited Nov 21, 2003).]
Old Nov 24, 2003, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
This is no doubt heresy but I am not sure a domestic upgrade is worth this much hassle. On one leg of our recent HK49 journey, we did not even get fed. Would have been just as comfy with 3 across for the 2 of us in economy plus.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Good to hear from you too Karen2! It was nice to get acquainted at the PiP in HNL last month.

You are right. Unless it is a long-haul (transcon, Hawaii, etc.) it is probably a waste to use these. For me, one nice benefit is satisfaction in knowing you upgraded a non-status flyer -- who also trumped users of 500 mile certs in scoring the upgrade well in advance As for the hassle factor, once you have done it you get used to the routine. Consider the process outlined above as "training wheels" for what we will have to go thru next year with e-SWUs.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 3:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Karen2:
This is no doubt heresy but I am not sure a domestic upgrade is worth this much hassle. </font>
I disagree with you on this one. I fly only within the 50 states and mostly from coast to coast. The first class seat is far better than having to sit in E+ or E-. Many of my flights are 100% full and I still love the upstairs row 15 when I can get it. Business class over Y class anyday for this traveler.

To add something else to the post, if you can scan the blue copy and email that to the person, this is one sure assist for the one getting the HK-50's. This happened to me and I had the scanned copies and that made all the difference in the world. I just pulled out my laptop, showed them the copies and they said "Which the would get it right with these".

Old Jan 3, 2004, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
What a great thread! As a FT'er that rarely flies UA, this thread helped me through a process that would've been a headache to figure out otherwise.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Gold
Thanks to xpacific for the wonderful upgrade! Going to work was much easier after riding in first class from MIA to LAX. The person at United counter had trouble with the upgrade, but luckily xpacific e-mailed me a jpg image of the upgrade letter. After seeing the upgrade letter, United processed the upgrade quickly. Definitely worth the trouble - thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.