Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC flight change - any sort of compensation

Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I know I'm talking about Air Canada here, but do they award any sort of compensation when they change your flight time without notification? We booked a daytime flight nonstop from YVR to MIA and now they've changed it to a red eye. Not only will we now be travelling with a cranky two year old but we're also losing out on our nonrefundable hotel reservation. Do they ever give any upgrades, compensation, etc for this? thanks
Old Oct 22, 2003, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I thought you had asked about this before. Anyways, they will change your flights to make things more convenient but I am next to certain they will not pay for hotels (who might agree to cancel if you explain) and most CERTAINLY will not upgrade you.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:42 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Only compensation you're entitled to is full refund of your ticket.

They just changed that YVR-MIA flight to a red eye; it's one long nasty flight on an A319 especially when it's overnight.

Here's what I suggest you do:

Call AC back and tell them the late departure is not acceptable. Ask them to route you through YYZ. You can take the 6:30am to YYZ and that will connect you to the 3:50pm to MIA. (2 hours connection time)
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestion. The 6:30 flight via Toronto is just too early with a toddler so we decided to go with a 7:50 departure, connecting in Denver.
Of course Air Canada didn't offer any sort of upgrade,compensation or explanation why they didn't even bother to notify us of the flight change. When they emailed the new itinerary I had to laugh at their 2 1/2 pages of "conditions of contract". Too bad we the passengers don't seem to have nearly as many rights. I'm tired of being jerked around by their aeroplan system and now with flight times. They've just lost our future business. Grrr!!!
Old Oct 22, 2003, 11:51 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
to make a change like that would you have to pay any sort of fee??
Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shore9:
to make a change like that would you have to pay any sort of fee??</font>
No, not if AC had a significant sched change.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amandabear:
Thanks for your suggestion. The 6:30 flight via Toronto is just too early with a toddler so we decided to go with a 7:50 departure, connecting in Denver.
Of course Air Canada didn't offer any sort of upgrade,compensation or explanation why they didn't even bother to notify us of the flight change. When they emailed the new itinerary I had to laugh at their 2 1/2 pages of "conditions of contract". Too bad we the passengers don't seem to have nearly as many rights. I'm tired of being jerked around by their aeroplan system and now with flight times. They've just lost our future business. Grrr!!!
</font>
you never said when your flight was for. If it is a few months down the road they usually call the people who were are leaving the soonest and work their way down from there. ie they will call someone who is leaving in November before they call anyone leaving in December.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:17 am
Original Poster

We're leaving in 2 weeks. Air Canada said that at this point they're only calling people the day before, to 1 week before departure. Doesn't really give you much time to adjust your plans.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amandabear:
We're leaving in 2 weeks. Air Canada said that at this point they're only calling people the day before, to 1 week before departure. Doesn't really give you much time to adjust your plans.</font>
calling the day before is ridiculous. When I used to work with the airline they had guidlines and when to call and it wasn't left till that late.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I guess they're now so understaffed that this is the norm. Pretty sad. I guess this is a lesson for everyone to keep an eye on their flight times with Air Canada and not to rely on them to contact you.

It was interesting talking with one of the AC staff on the phone while rescheduling our flight. She was quite vocal about being fed up with the company herself and said that many of the customers she's spoked with will never book on Air Canada again due to shabby treatment.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:53 pm

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Air Canada once phoned me at 7:30 AM to tell me that my afternoon flight to Montreal was cancelled, but I could get on the 10 AM flight. Luckily that worked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.