Turnaround in JKT on SQ

Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Turnaround in JKT on SQ

Dear All,
I need to nest a RTW in another RTW and am in SE Asia next week. It seems that Indonesia currently offers the lowest FSTARRTW followed by Thailand.
To start the RTW I would need to do a quick turnaround to JKT from SIN.
The drawback is that neither SQ nor LH have a ticketing office at the airport - but I would need to go into Jakarta to either of their offices.
How much of a hassle is that - and how much time should one expect - immigration (SwedishPassport holder) and travel time - Taxi or what else ?)
Thank you for any advise

In a snese BKK seems to be the easier solution because I can get the ticket delivered to the airport - but I am going to DPS over easter - hence it would fit better into these two RTW.

Cheers

Thomas
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Last year I bought a ticket in Jakarta at the airport from SQ. Maybe they closed it, but how are people going to pay then if they have wrong tickets?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visa on arrival at a cost of USD30 now applies for many Europeans. I don't whether that applies to Swedish nationals or not - do check. I've not been to JKT since this has been in effect so I have no idea how it has affected immigration processing. However, I can remember seeing a seperate visa booth at Soekarno Hatta so the new process shouldn't have slowed down the actual immigration processing that much.

The best bet for a taxi in to town is to turn left once out of customs and head out to the curbside. You need to find the Silverbird taxi rank - you'll recognise the cars as they are similar to the taxis used in SIN and HKG, only painted black. Can't remember the fare but it shouldn't be more than USD10. Getting a Silverbird back to the airport might be a bit more tricky as they don't cruise around that much. The nearest 5 star hotel or shopping mall should have a rank though. Time can be anywhere from 30mins to 60 in my experience, depending on time, weather, alignment of Venus and where you are going!

To reduce the hassle factor, why not pencil in an overnight stay - the Shanrgi-La, Grand Hyatt and Mandarain are all central and good hotels. Or try the Dharmawangsa for a design hotel experience.

We have a couple of JKT residents on the board and I am sure they will be able to chip in with more adivce.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Swanhunter:
Visa on arrival at a cost of USD30 now applies for many Europeans. I don't whether that applies to Swedish nationals or not - do check.</font>
USD 10 if staying three days or less. Traffic in Jakarta can be (and usually is) atrocious though, so I wouldn't attempt too rapid a turnaround...
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:06 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
I know that SQ has at least a shared ticketing office in the airport (at departure level check in area).

I bought my CSTARRTW tickets from my travel agents, so I assume you must be able to do so as well. There are one or two (at least) travel agents in the airport complex/vicinity. One of them is in the airport Sheraton Bandara Hotel.
Travel agents give some discounts on RTWs, and it is better to pay cash to avoid possible currency exchange conversions on your credit card.

StarG
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:16 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
And these are from the local SQ website.
You can try to e-mail them for info.

City Office
Address: 8th Floor
Menara Kadin Indonesia
Jalan H R Rasuna Said
Block X-5
Kav 2 and 3
Jakarta 12950
Indonesia

Operating Hours: Monday to Friday - 0815 hours to 1700 hours
Saturday - 0815 hours to 1300 hours
Sunday and Public Holiday - Closed

Tel: +62 21 57903747 (Reservations)
+62 21 57903850 (Ticketing)

Fax: +62 21 57903886 (Reservations & Ticketing)
+62 21 57903887 (Reservations & Ticketing)

Email: [email protected]

Tel: +62 21 5507130 (Airport)
+62 21 5507132 (Airport)
+62 21 5590214 (Phone Check-in)

Fax: +62 21 5502334 (Airport)
+62 21 5590214 (Fax Check-in)

Internet Booking Ticket on Departure:
Soekarno-Hatta International Airport
Terminal 2D - Departure Level
PT Jasa Angkasa Semesta Ticketing Counter
Tel: +62 21 5507334
Fax: +62 21 5501842
Operating Hours: Daily - 0530 hours to 2200 hours

Good luck.

StarG
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:45 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Thomas: AFAIK there is a ticket counter at CGK departure level. The SQ office at Kuningan last week told me to get the ticket at the airport if I don't want to pick it up at the main office.
I know you are interested in getting the FRTW originating in JKT. Do you really need to pick up the ticket in Jkt? My recent RTW with CGK origin was issued by SQ in Vancouver. Same fare basis as if I pick it up in Jkt (except I paid in CAD after converting the USD fares into CAD.)
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CGK:
Thomas: AFAIK there is a ticket counter at CGK departure level. The SQ office at Kuningan last week told me to get the ticket at the airport if I don't want to pick it up at the main office.
I know you are interested in getting the FRTW originating in JKT. Do you really need to pick up the ticket in Jkt? My recent RTW with CGK origin was issued by SQ in Vancouver. Same fare basis as if I pick it up in Jkt (except I paid in CAD after converting the USD fares into CAD.)
</font>
Star G:
Thanks for the very detailed advise

CGK:
Last week when SQ came to hand deliver my PPS card I queried them and I then got the reply that I need to go in to the city as they do not have a ticketing office at the airport. Go figure...

My TA has also told me the same and is trying to arrange something similar to what you propose - the problem being that the country issuing the ticket must have a lower RTW rate than the country you want to depart from i.e. originate your ticket from, otherwise the fare from the issuing country still becomes applicable.
We are trying with our contacts in Egypt - but they seem to follow their own rules.

An alternative would be to turnaround in BKK, as we have a contact there who will deliver the ticket to the airport. The ticket is about 150 US $ more expensive but I am leaning to that as it is less hassle - and my trip next week is to long already anyway. My schedule is to tight to add an extra night.

cheers

Thomas
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:46 am

i'm surprised to hear that ex-JKT fares have dropped below ex-BKK. would you mind sharing the latest FRWSTAR and CRWSTAR fares? thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:54 am
CGK

Is it because of Canada therefore I can get the RTW issued with JKT originating fares? The fares from Canada is definitely much higher than from Jkt. FRWSTAR2 from Jkt is USD7129 or approximately CAD9464. Originating in Canada, the fares would be CAD12269.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:57 am
CGK

Since you mention about being in Bali over Easter holiday, why not getting the ticket in Bali? Here is the address:

Denpasar

Ticketing Office
Tel: +62 361 768388

Fax: +62 361 768383

Email: [email protected]

Airport Office
Address: Ngurah Rai International Airport
Jalan I Gusti Ngurah Rai
Denpasar 80362
Bali
Indonesia

Operating Hours: 0900 hours to 2100 hours

Tel: +62 361 751011 extn 5444
+62 361 752174

Fax: +62 361 754190

Ooops, my mistake did not read your post carefully. You need it next week right?

[This message has been edited by CGK (edited Mar 18, 2004).]
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:17 am
CGK

If it's confirmed that you can pick up your ticket at CGK airport, I suggest that SQ in Germany send a telex to Jkt mentioning that you will pick up the tix at CGK and ask to be prepared. What you spend at CGK will be $25 visa on arrival plus IDR100,000 airport tax (about USD12). Remember that Thai baht is getting stronger, so the USD150 from your calculation might be higher now.
FYI: SQ155 departing 12:05 pm and SQ161 departing at 7:50pm to SIN will not have First class (two-class service).
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:37 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
CGK, are you sure about two classes only on SQ 161 which is supposed to be a B777-300?

I am booked on SQ 158 in FC and on

SQ 161 in FC (summer schedule though, in August.)

FLIGHT INFORMATION:

Singapore Airlines SQ161
From: Jakarta / Soekarno-Hatta Int'l (CGK), Jakarta Indonesia 7:10 PM
Terminal: 2
To: Singapore / Changi (SIN), Singapore Singapore 9:45 PM
Terminal: 2

Cabin: First
Duration: 1:35
Stop(s): 0
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300
Mileage: 547 miles
Meal: Meal
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:39 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Ok, in the summer SQ 161 is a B773. Problem sorted out.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:36 am
CGK

You have to check near towards your departure. My SQ161 was scheduled to be 3-class when I booked it in early Feb. But by the end of Feb, I was notified as 2-class service only using A345 Leadership. So I changed it to different schedule with 3-class service.
My flight SQ164 20 Sep SIN-CGK was booked for 3-class service in Jan. And I got the notice last week for changes in booking to J from F, or else take other flight with 3-class service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.