Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Upper West Side Restaurant Thread (Part II)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

I found an older thread but nothing with recent posts.

UWS is quite nice; what are the best finds?

I'm looking for a reasonable and moderately casual place to meet some out-of-town guests staying near Broadway and the mid-70s. Places we've eaten at and liked in the area include La Caridad, Flor de Mayo, and Kefi. Any suggestions along those lines?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All you can eat sushi at Kumo on 72nd for ~$27.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:09 pm

Eater just published this: https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-resta...-west-side-nyc

Based on your criteria I would do Parm, Han Dynasty or Jin Ramen.

The Ribbon, RedFarm and White Gold Butchers should be great too, but might be a bit above your budget.

UWS might be the worst area in Manhattan for food :-\.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I've become a fan of Cafe Luxembourg. It was an uber hot place when it first opened in the late 80s (of course it was, it was a Keith McNally place at the time), and I think went through a lull after he gave it to his ex-wife. I've been back maybe half a dozen time though in the last couple years and always have been pleased. The menu is not adventurous, but it's solid and will please most, and caters to a very NYC crowd. It certainly meets the "reasonable and moderately casual" criteria (not to say it's cheap, but certainly reasonable by NYC standards), and I think a great place to being out-of-towners due to its very NYC vibe.

Bar Boulud is another decent choice in the area. Not as intimate as Cafe Luxembourg, but it offers a similarly casual atmosphere and a lively scene. Because of its proximity to Lincoln Center, it has more of a suburban theater crowd, but still attracts locals and has a NYC feel that is good for out-of-town guests. (BTW, I loved my burger on my last visit.)
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Jacob's Pickles. Broadway and 84th street. I really like this place. It's pretty, reasonably priced, and large portions of upscale food. They give you enough to take home leftovers. The fried chicken is um um good.
http://jacobs.picklehospitality.com/
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I've become a fan of Cafe Luxembourg.
<snip>
Bar Boulud is another decent choice in the area.
Both of those are good, but quite a bit more expensive than the examples shared by the OP.

I'll add another suggestions - Seven's Mediterranean Grill on W 72nd. Pretty decent Turkish food (Pasha is probably better but I think a little more upscale).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Jacob's Pickles. Broadway and 84th street. I really like this place. It's pretty, reasonably priced, and large portions of upscale food. They give you enough to take home leftovers. The fried chicken is um um good.
They re-opened the original Amsterdam Ave and 84th street location. I'm not sure if Broadway is open or not.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They re-opened the original Amsterdam Ave and 84th street location. I'm not sure if Broadway is open or not.
On Broadway it's Maison Pickle (the old Ouest space). Also gluttonous food at reasonable but not necessarily inexpensive prices, and probably a notch above "casual". Focus on various "French Dip" sandwiches.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks all; I sent a list of some of the suggested places in this thread to our guests (it will be their first trip to NYC) and they selected Parm. I've been to the one down in Battery Park City and think it will be fine for our needs.

[Post-Visit Report] Parm UWS is a smaller location but it was fine for our needs and our guests enjoyed the experience.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2017 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I would also recommend Jacob's Pickle.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:16 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Added this thread to the Sticky!
FlyinHawaiian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.