Wiki Posts
Search

Letting GGL Joker lapse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Letting GGL Joker lapse

Clearly a first world problem, but interested to know how other forum members use GGL jokers

I tend to use one a year with Amex 241 and sometimes help out a friend or family member if they can't find availability, but this year with a couple weeks to go I'm struggling to use the second one. I could make a booking to somewhere (Seychelles) well in advance but that would require paying out taxes for something I may end up cancelling.

Does everyone else use both jokers each year? I wonder what proportion go unused (or on e-bay!)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
I use mine for UUA to F on paid CW bookings.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I tend to use one every two years which means I lose 3 over that period. It's a great bit of flexibility to have but it only tends to get used for my family longhaul holiday every two years.

It seems to not work for skiing at half term so double avios ends up being the way forward for those holidays. I try not to use it for the sake of it, so they lapse

In fact this summer holiday worked without the use of a joker - we found CW to PEK and back from PVG for 4 of us without any problem..
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have used more GPRs than Jokers, though that would be for shorthaul, and you don't always need to spend the extra Avios if normal availability shows up close to departure. One joker every three years or so? Nice to know it's there.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:16 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I tend to use 2 jokers a year, and find them invaluable when using my Amex 2-4-1.

I'll often use the Joker+Amex+GUF2, to open up Avios availability in my preferred class...and it allows me to book a lot later than I'd otherwise do. In turn, it means not paying for the trip until I can actually confirm it.

M
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
I use both every year and usually for school half term flights to upgrade from WT+ to CW or CW to F.

I wonder what proportion go unused (or on e-bay!)
Never seen them on eBay!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
It does vary but between zero and one a year. Nice to have if you want to go somewhere using Avios with limited availability like SYD but recently have been booking this regularly ex-EU with a GUF2 to F.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I am considerably over-jokered this year and currently have 4 remaining. I almost used one last week on a LH one way but availability showed up T-48 on a parallel service so I canceled it and used that instead.

My main uses tend to be UUA to F from paid CW for me and full reward redemptions for others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.