Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying to a different city to save $ on TATL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

I'm trying to fly DFW-FRA round trip next month. The best deal AA/BA offer is via LHR for about $1800. Ok.

However, BA has sub-$800 airfares from SEA-FRA. I could spend $300 on a DFW-SEA round trip, fly to/from Frankfurt out of SEA, and save $700.

My only question is... will AA or BA object to this in any way? Will their systems see the "nested" DFW-SEA and SEA-FRA round trips and cancel one/both? The SEA-FRA leg is actually SEA-DFW-LHR-FRA, so I'd literally be flying DFW-SEA, then turn around and fly SEA-DFW before heading overseas.

Or, say I called AA or BA reservations to try to get the PNRs linked so I wouldn't have to collect/recheck my bags in SEA... would they be upset over it in the same way that they are with the people who book their actual destination as a connecting city to save $?

Another reason I'm considering this roundabout route is that the percentage-of-miles-flown EQD calculation used by AAdvantage for BA will help me lock in PLT for next year. So if AA gets mad and nukes the mileage/EQD earnings from the trip that would negate a good part of the reason for this.

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Nothing at all wrong with what you're trying to do, from AA's/BA's (or anyone else's) standpoint.

Regarding baggage and protected connections, I'd suggest taking a look at this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2016-a.html
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Nothing wrong with what you are planning, many have done the same. I myself, look for fares from nearby airports to compare. Heck, sometimes I even make a mini trip/vacation out of it as I tend to fly in a day before and add a mattress run as well. Granted, its extra time involved and connection, but as long your are not pressed for time, no issues at all.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
This is very common, especially in the other direction.

Very few of my long haul trips start in LHR as I can find a J fare starting elsewhere in Europe for a similar price or lower than Y ex-LHR.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by qcar
I'm trying to fly DFW-FRA round trip next month. The best deal AA/BA offer is via LHR for about $1800. Ok.

However, BA has sub-$800 airfares from SEA-FRA. I could spend $300 on a DFW-SEA round trip, fly to/from Frankfurt out of SEA, and save $700.

My only question is... will AA or BA object to this in any way? Will their systems see the "nested" DFW-SEA and SEA-FRA round trips and cancel one/both? The SEA-FRA leg is actually SEA-DFW-LHR-FRA, so I'd literally be flying DFW-SEA, then turn around and fly SEA-DFW before heading overseas.

Or, say I called AA or BA reservations to try to get the PNRs linked so I wouldn't have to collect/recheck my bags in SEA... would they be upset over it in the same way that they are with the people who book their actual destination as a connecting city to save $?

Another reason I'm considering this roundabout route is that the percentage-of-miles-flown EQD calculation used by AAdvantage for BA will help me lock in PLT for next year. So if AA gets mad and nukes the mileage/EQD earnings from the trip that would negate a good part of the reason for this.

Thanks!
No problem with doing that at all. Perhaps you have a meeting to go to in SEA, or want to see a friend. Any number of reasons you might be doing that and an airline isn't going to object.

However (re the bold part) you won't be able to check your bags DFW-SEA-DFW-etc because, as far as I can understand it, baggage systems can't cope with a back-and-forth through one point. Stick with collecting and re-checking in SEA.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:31 am

You're probably already aware, but just to make sure: you can't skip the first segment of an itinerary, or they will cancel the others. It's so tempting to want to eliminate the there and back again segment...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:12 am
formerly PHLGrump

No issue at all. Congrats on the yuge savings!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
No problem with doing that at all. Perhaps you have a meeting to go to in SEA, or want to see a friend. Any number of reasons you might be doing that and an airline isn't going to object.

However (re the bold part) you won't be able to check your bags DFW-SEA-DFW-etc because, as far as I can understand it, baggage systems can't cope with a back-and-forth through one point. Stick with collecting and re-checking in SEA.
OP - You don't need a reason or an excuse. Not that it either carrier's business and neither will ask, but if you were asked, it is perfectly acceptable to say that you are doing this because it nets you roughly $600 (savings on TATL less positioning flight).

Do bear in mind that neither AA nor BA will check bags across tickets. Has nothing to do with tech issues, simply a policy change from 2016. Thus, you do need to build in time in both directions to claim your bag at SEA and to check it in with BA on the outbound and AA on the inbound. Especially on the outbound, leave yourself a good amount of time.

On the inbound, you will claim your bag at SEA in any event, but you will need to stand in line to check it with AA rather than simply drop it post-CBP.

For others considering this, AA is unique among major carriers in that it will protect across tickets within OW. If OP had a second ticket on UA, for example, for the TATL and his inbound flight on AA arrived late, he would lose the new ticket and have a balance in accordance with the fare rules for that UA ticket.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's the baggage check problem detailed by Often1.

That's a lot of extra flying. (If you really value EQM, fine.) If you value your time, not so good.

There's a risk of misconnect. AA/BA should rebook you but that doesn't get your time back.

It's two ticket change fees if you need to change your travel.

Are you sure you don't want to look for a more time-efficient, less-troubled routing DFW-FRA that may not involve AA?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, it comes down to what your time is worth -- that initial DFW-SEA-DFW probably adds 6+ hours to the trip.

I'd note that on the return, you don't have to board that last DFW-SEA leg. You'll have to collect your bags after immigration at DFW, and you can then just depart the airport. As such you probably don't even need to buy a DFW-SEA round-trip; if you can do one-way for half price, the savings will be greater than $700.

So you'd purchase:
1) DFW-SEA
2) SEA-DFW-LHR-FRA/FRA-LHR-DFW-SEA

But only fly:
1) DFW-SEA
2) SEA-DFW-LHR-FRA/FRA-LHR-DFW

Dropping (throwing away) the last segment is technically against AA's rules but it's one of those things they don't actively look for unless you make a habit of it.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:38 am

Check prices from New York. Often you find very good fares to FRA or other places in Europe.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I do this frequently as well. ATL might be more convenient than SEA for your needs. ATL-FRA is often less than $600 on AA or BA.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The OP might check pricing via AA Vacations as well.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have been doing well using Expedia and booking a package. I then check the "i only need a hotel for part of my stay' and choose a weekday, select cheap hostel (which I will not check into).

Using this, this year I have had:

Kentucky to:

London - $2700 (BA J)
Bilbao - $2800 (AA/BA J)
Paris - $2100 (DL J)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I have used AAvacations quite alot, but never tried Expedia. Is there anything special that I would need to know using expedia or just put in bus class request... thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.