Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-BOM availability

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

EWR-BOM availability

guys - used to great united availability but see nothing in business or first for EWR-BOM in May. What's the best option here? Set up expertflyer alerts?

Also, my child would be just over 2 in May. Can he still ride as a lap infant and pay 10% of the ticket fee

Thx
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by sam007
guys - used to great united availability but see nothing in business or first for EWR-BOM in May. What's the best option here? Set up expertflyer alerts?

Also, my child would be just over 2 in May. Can he still ride as a lap infant and pay 10% of the ticket fee

Thx
Are you looking to buy outright, or rewards availability?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Apologize, only saver award
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
This route never has saver award in J.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
guys - used to great united availability but see nothing in business or first for EWR-BOM in May. What's the best option here? Set up expertflyer alerts?...
Yes but award availability tends to be early or very late.

You can also book an economy ticket and waitlist for business for that flight or another flight.

... my child would be just over 2 in May. Can he still ride as a lap infant and pay 10% of the ticket fee ....
The rules state lapchild fare are only for childern under 2 years of age at time of travel. While you might get away with it if you fudge the child's birthday on the ticket, there is a risk the child will not be allowed to board.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes but award availability tends to be early or very late.

You can also book an economy ticket and waitlist for business for that flight or another flight.

The rules state lapchild fare are only for childern under 2 years of age at time of travel. While you might get away with it if you fudge the child's birthday on the ticket, there is a risk the child will not be allowed to board.
Or if the child looks over 2 in size they may investigate or inquire. My nephew was 2.5 (he's little for his age) and the FA thought he was a lap child and was going to move my sister on an RJ because of the amount of masks but we had to tell and show her his own ticket 2x.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

so a lapchild is still 10% of full business fare right? vs just stating child is over 2 and buying another business class seat

Also, how is experflyer these days in alerting when business class seat becomes available
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
so a lapchild is still 10% of full business fare right? vs just stating child is over 2 and buying another business class seat ...
lapchild is 10% of the fare or that cabin available at time of purchase

... how is experflyer these days in alerting when business class seat becomes available
EF can flag I fare class but not IN (extra inventory for elites) -- but there is usually little difference between I/IN.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
EF can flag I fare class but not IN (extra inventory for elites) -- but there is usually little difference between I/IN.
I have been encountering quite a few situations where the availability in IN (if it is not zero) tends to be one more than I in recent searches. Not sure why that is / would be the case.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:08 pm

One thing you may be able to do is book the full price reward so you have seats... then keep looking for saver to become available and just do the "Free" rewards flight change either online or with a United agent.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by LordHamster
.... just do the "Free" rewards flight change either online or with a United agent.
Unless you are a Plat or higher, it isn't free. And if within 60 days of travel, you need to be 1K or higher for "free" changes.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:56 pm

Unless you are a Plat or higher, it isn't free. And if within 60 days of travel, you need to be 1K or higher for "free" changes.
Good points. I totally forgot about that bit.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
guys - used to great united availability but see nothing in business or first for EWR-BOM

Thx
Why are you asking us if you can break the rules?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:08 pm

Availability on EWR-BOM? In business or economy? This is one of the hardest routes to even get an upgrade, leave alone an award ticket.

The rules are clear ... under two years!

United accepts one stroller and one car seat free of charge for each child, including children under the age of two traveling on an adult's lap and infants traveling internationally on 10 percent of an adult fare, charged at the time of infant ticketing (it is usually less expensive to purchase the infant ticket in advance).

Thx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 24, 2017 at 7:25 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP will wind up having to purchase a full fare J ticket at check-in or the gate (presuming that there is one available). This is an international flight and there will be two document checks and, a separate birth certificate check (although passport may suffice).

There is no way that a child over flies as a lap child. This will be picked up somewhere along the line and is a very expensive fraud to attempt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.