Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Emirates codeshare flight syd-chc owe lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond

Title is my question. The Emirates codeshare is less expensive than buying from QF. Im also deciding between econ and biz if that makes a difference. I realize Emirates is not Own but just checking if owe gets access to the Syd first lounge on travel day.. if not, what lounge access?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For OneWorld status OTHER than via Qantas membership

If you book on an Emirates flight number
Economy Class - No access
Business Class - Access either Qantas or Emirates business lounge

Book on Qantas flight number operated by Emirates
Economy Class - No access

Book on Qantas flight number operated by Qantas
Economy Class - OW Emerald status - access to 1st lounge (SYD) or Business lounge
Economy Class - OW Sapphire status - access to Business lounge
Business Class - OW Emerald status - access to 1st lounge (SYD) or Business lounge
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Dave

You are great..helps with my decision...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:06 am

Do you have a priority pass card?

At Sydney, if you do, there are 2 or 3 eateries that you can go to and have $36 credit per person for food and drink - can visit all of them
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

And the extra cost for flight might be worth it for lounge tine..why are the Emirates codeshare flights cheaper do you think?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
As a QFF member flying EK's own metal and EK flight number, there is no SC earn under the QF system, so no debt for EK to bear, that is maybe one of the reason its cheaper.
You earn less QFF points too, with EK metal and EK flight number plane.
Less debt for EK, means less that they have to pay QFF.
If you flew/fly the EK metal QF flight number, you earn full QFF points and QF SC which is an asset to you for future use, but its a debt that QF has to bear.
Thats the way I see it.
Also, EK couldn't care less if you book EK metal and EK flight number, and if you don't put in your QFF number, as they then keep all the $ to themselves, without having to pay QF anything. If you do put your QFF number in the booking, and the booking was made with EK directly, they probably has to put a bit of $ QF's way.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:39 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
As a QFF member flying EK's own metal and EK flight number, there is no SC earn under the QF system, so no debt for EK to bear, that is maybe one of the reason its cheaper.
You earn less QFF points too, with EK metal and EK flight number plane.
Less debt for EK, means less that they have to pay QFF.
Unlikely this is the reason as EK credits to Skywards and lots of other programmes (some are much more generous than QFF). In any case the same applies in reverse to QF flights under QF flight number but of course they both can't be cheaper than the other.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
As a QFF member flying EK's own metal and EK flight number, there is no SC earn under the QF system, so no debt for EK to bear, that is maybe one of the reason its cheaper....
Incorrect - EK need to pay for the points earn.

When travelling EK*EK (EK Marketed and Operated) crediting to Qantas frequent flyer will earn points but not SC's.

SC's cost a frequent flyer program less in direct upfront cost than points.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the insights everyone...dont have a priority pass, and trying to decide whether the timing is right for a meal in the lounge at all..decisions, decisions.. We will be flying on Jan 2..we are assuming airport will be busy with leisure travelers..
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:05 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by worldiswide
We will be flying on Jan 2..we are assuming airport will be busy with leisure travelers..
Assume correct. In fact, it'll be seriously busy and many of those leisure travellers will have lounge access - so no respite there! Most of the people in Oz and NZ will be going somewhere for summer holidays.

The best day to be going somewhere if you don't like crowds will be 25 December.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Thanks for all the insights everyone...dont have a priority pass, and trying to decide whether the timing is right for a meal in the lounge at all..decisions, decisions.. We will be flying on Jan 2..we are assuming airport will be busy with leisure travelers..
What is the price difference? is it worth spending that much extra per person for hopefully less than an hour's lounge access?

If booking business class, I wouldn't be booking an EK codeshare but booking on the EK flight itself
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

I think it was about 100 difference in business, and yes you are right to ask if it is worth extra money to be in the lounge and/or get some AA miles for the flights. Just trying to work out the risk/reward equation and doing my thinking out loud .. or in writing on FT .. so I appreciate all the perspectives.. Agreed, also that a lounge is a lounge.. even a nice one and we have been there many times already, but when we started looking at pricing the difference just came up so we starting thinking of the options. We actually have an award ticket on a less desirable routing.. syd-bne-chc as another option that is already ticketed so we are just comparing and contrasting now. Its part of the vacation planning phase.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:29 pm

If you book business class on Emirates , you will get business class lounge access

I wouldn't be paying $100 extra just for the FF miles - you would be better off just buying some miles in a sale if miles are important

Given the journey time, I wouldn't be doing SYD-BNE-CHC unless was planning to visit BNE. Flying 1.5 hurs to BNE to end up 210 miles further from the destination than from the start point and then spending a couple of hours in BNE when you could , by this point, be in CHC

Dave
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Respect all your points... valid and under consideration.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I'm OWE and flew AKL-MEL in Y on a Qantas flight number, but operated by Emirates. I was let into the F lounge at AKL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.