Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1182 (LAX-OGG) on 9/22: "the door won't open"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt

I was on UA1182 (LAX-OGG) yesterday (9/22) and as the door was closing, one of the FAs commented that "I didn't think they needed to push that hard to close the door." And previously, there were 2 mechanics that were looking at the door.

After that, the flight was uneventful and boring...up until we park at the gate in OGG and 1L won't open, it will crack, but other than that, it won't move. After 45 minutes of trying to get the door to open, the ground staff give up and bring stairs to 1R, so we can disembark.

While walking on the ramp towards the terminal, I look up at the gate to see quite a few passengers on the return flight watching us. And, it was interesting to hear, as we were in the terminal, that they hoped to be boarding within 30 minutes. And that was at 9:20pm for a 10:00pm departure (UA1110). Needless to say, I had subscribed to flight notifications just to see if it was going to leave, and sure enough, it was delayed to 10:30, then 11, then 12am, then 10am and now a 3pm departure.

The part that concerns me is that because this was 737-800SFP, only 1L and 1R are to be used in a water evacuation since 2L and 2R would have sills below the waterline. Therefore, only 1 exit would be operational. Should UA have sent the aircraft out on an over water flight with 1L in this condition?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, and you still have the overwing exits as well.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
It's not something I like to dwell on during my crossings to and from Hawaii, but if an aircraft ditches in the North Pacific, even a perfect "Sully" style water landing, easy exit into the ocean is not likely to make for a happier ending.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
I was on UA1182 (LAX-OGG) yesterday (9/22) and as the door was closing, one of the FAs commented that "I didn't think they needed to push that hard to close the door." And previously, there were 2 mechanics that were looking at the door.

After that, the flight was uneventful and boring...up until we park at the gate in OGG and 1L won't open, it will crack, but other than that, it won't move. After 45 minutes of trying to get the door to open, the ground staff give up and bring stairs to 1R, so we can disembark.
The UA pilots and flight attendants want to be as safe as you are. If the door had a problem, stuff happens. It isn't like they did anything intentional.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The UA pilots and flight attendants want to be as safe as you are. If the door had a problem, stuff happens. It isn't like they did anything intentional.
Yes. But it sounds like they had a hard time getting it closed. It must have been declared fixed but clearly wasn’t.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
Yes. But it sounds like they had a hard time getting it closed. It must have been declared fixed but clearly wasn’t.
They were definitely having issues with the door on the ground at LAX, as it would not close properly. They had at first thought it was a sensor disagreement issue, but after they got the door closed and armed, one of the pilots came out to see whether it was properly closed.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:52 pm

Oops. A bit late on this one. Here is the details:

1110/22 OGG-LAX. L13.30. a/c 3507. PBT: 16/136.
§ Delayed to 1130 due to MX and crew rest.
§ MX due to sheer pin on door preventing it from opening/closing properly.
§ Part being sourced from HNL ETA 540 +2hrs to repair.
§ Sent no hotel bulletin to the station. They are handing out reimbursement cards.
§ Updated all PNRs to show an updated amount of reimbursement from 200 USD to 400 USD per HNL GM Quentin due to high costs of rooms.
§ Requested AIR form get completed by station. De-escalation manager notified.
§ Requested Pro-Team severe comp be issued now.
§ CSS team opened Central Ops line for the station.
§ CSS processed down line cnxs out of LAX per OGG request.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
They were definitely having issues with the door on the ground at LAX, as it would not close properly. They had at first thought it was a sensor disagreement issue, but after they got the door closed and armed, one of the pilots came out to see whether it was properly closed.
Sounds like the pilot thought everything was OK - only to find out at OGG that it wasn't. I don't think pilot would have taken off if he thought there was a problem. On the other hand, it might have been prudent to open and close door one more time to check.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Should UA have sent the aircraft out on an over water flight with 1L in this condition?
Doubtful the pilots or FAs believe they would have an issue opening the door on arrival. While in hindsight perhaps they should have been more diligent, done more checking but it would be hard to believe they knowingly took this risk.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by runner450

§ Sent no hotel bulletin to the station. They are handing out reimbursement cards.
§ Updated all PNRs to show an updated amount of reimbursement from 200 USD to 400 USD per HNL GM Quentin due to high costs of rooms.
Wow thx! Care to translate?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by runner450

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Wow thx! Care to translate?
Well, the rates for last night were quite high. Even at the Marriott Ocean Club, I’m at a base rate of $350, and the Hyatt was well over $400.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.