Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mattress run for Globalist - not so cheap anymore

Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I havn't done a mattress run since 2015. I'm tempted to do so for the 20 nights for Globalism promotion. But a quick search online has shown that even Hyatt Houses and Hyatt Places, which were dirt cheap 5 years ago, are $100-$150 per night. This makes achieving globalist approximately $3k out of pocket. Is anyone else planning a mattress run?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:44 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
I havn't done a mattress run since 2015. I'm tempted to do so for the 20 nights for Globalism promotion. But a quick search online has shown that even Hyatt Houses and Hyatt Places, which were dirt cheap 5 years ago, are $100-$150 per night. This makes achieving globalist approximately $3k out of pocket. Is anyone else planning a mattress run?
I may have to MR 1 or 2 nights to get to 20, but I don't see the value if you need many more than that. $2-3K can buy a lot of breakfasts or pay for some nice room upgrades.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by skj
I may have to MR 1 or 2 nights to get to 20, but I don't see the value if you need many more than that. $2-3K can buy a lot of breakfasts or pay for some nice room upgrades.
Not a pure 20 night mattress run, as I'm moving a little bit of business and leisure before the end of the year back to Hyatt. But I may end up doing a few nights of runs to round it out. There's a reasonable number of Cat 1-2 near me, and I'm point rich at the moment, so P+C is in order. I'd been looking at getting the citi prestige card anyways too, and that would effectively take a ~25% discount off the effort.

Is it worth it? It really depends. This year I will hit Hyatt resorts 4 times with my family of 5, as well as 3-4 weekend getaways (mainly to regency properties). The suite upgrades + late checkout + breakfast easily provide 4 figures of value for me. But for a single traveler just looking for some free breakfast, probably not...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
The rates at HP/HH depend on where you are in the USA or in the world. You can still find Hyatt properties for under $100 per night, but of course fewer of these than in 2015. Sometimes certain days of the week tend to be cheaper too.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I did a mileage run about 4 years ago. I found Dallas to be the best valuation. There were plenty of HP's to bounce between so I got a 'stay' each night and they were all around $89 a night.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
I'd been looking at getting the citi prestige card anyways too, and that would effectively take a ~25% discount off the effort.
Someone is welcome to correct me if they have ever experienced anything different, but the Citi Prestige fourth night free benefit as I understand it is valid only once for a stay of four nights or longer, i.e., a stay of 8 nights only gets the fourth night free, not nights 4 and 8. Two stays of 4 nights booked back to back apparently also do not count. Two stays of four nights with a different property for a night in between should count.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by ClarkGriswold
Not a pure 20 night mattress run, as I'm moving a little bit of business and leisure before the end of the year back to Hyatt. But I may end up doing a few nights of runs to round it out. There's a reasonable number of Cat 1-2 near me, and I'm point rich at the moment, so P+C is in order. I'd been looking at getting the citi prestige card anyways too, and that would effectively take a ~25% discount off the effort.

Is it worth it? It really depends. This year I will hit Hyatt resorts 4 times with my family of 5, as well as 3-4 weekend getaways (mainly to regency properties). The suite upgrades + late checkout + breakfast easily provide 4 figures of value for me. But for a single traveler just looking for some free breakfast, probably not...
Yeah, it's a simple calculation whether the benefits are worth it or not. Maybe need to discount by at least say 50% but otherwise fairly straightforward.

Interesting that even a full 20 night mattress run is worth it in your case. I'm like 8 nights off of SPG 75 and decided the extra 7 nights aren't worth it but then again most of the benefits accrue at 50 nights which I would pay to acquire. Too bad there's no such thing as "rollover nights."
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Find a low end Hyatt in Asia or India for best value.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Find a low end Hyatt in Asia or India for best value.
But then what? My understanding is that you need to check-in in person with your passport. So doesn't help unless you're already traveling there, right?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It should come as no surprise that Hyatt feels it can chop benefits in the new WoH and not bother with promos, when random HH/HP hotels can charge $150 per night with good occupancy rates.

The 20-night fast track only gets you Globalist lite. $3k for free breakfast and an upgrade lottery? (No DSUs, etc.) Don't bother.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
You could consider doing P+C for your mattress run as a way to lower your out of pocket expense.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:18 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Best MR areas are on the weekends around IAD, Chicago suburbs, SF East Bay (C+P only,) and PHX in the summer. Of course, I've done CT runs when they had the 10k pt bonuses, and the MCO area (HP MCO is like 5k on awards so find a 2.5k C+P nt,) but those probably aren't coming back any time soon.

Don't think its worth doing any more, especially since no DIA/Glob amenity points and 60 nts vs 25 stays as many of these areas had multiple properties at low rates so bouncing paid off.

But if you just need a few nts, then OK.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Well, ALL hotels are more expensive now than they were a few years ago. I am getting the extra 5 nights I need to get globalists under the promo mostly at HH Dallas North at ~71$ a night for 1 bedroom King suite. Heck, the wife wants to do after christmas shopping in Dallas, and we need our interviews for Global Entry which are available at DFW the last week of December (though, I was hoping to get it done earlier than that) so we just booked some nights late December checking out Jan 1 to get some nights banked for next year when there appears now that we have a fair shot at ending up at 60 nights.

I don't always price comparison shop anymore, but when I do, I find HP and HHs usually to be very comparable in price to the lower end brands of the Hilton and Marriott families, but on average, things are about 20% more expensive than they used to be not that long ago. But, I know that in some cases, the HP/HHs can get well-marked up on select dates and locations. I just checked the same dates I have coming up in DFW this fall, and the Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites in the DFW area are all 80-120$ a night (the Hhonors price), which in my case is more than my 70$ a night "mattress running" at the HH. (the HR North Dallas is also about 70$ a night this fall, but they are doing renovations it looks like and I didn't want to deal with that).

The price for me ($400 after taxes) is worth it, but I will also enjoy those trips I am doing extra anyways. With only about half of next year planned out and about 20-30 more nights very likely, I will already save about $200 in resort fees, and will get about $700 in real value worth of free breakfasts at full service Hyatts without clubs (assuming my explorist club awards would work otherwise). I expect all in all, I will get about 1500$ in value by the end of next year from the globalist(lite) even if I never get a lottery upgrade.

Last edited by MarkOK; Sep 23, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Too bad there's no such thing as "rollover nights."
Rollover nights would be awesome.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Rollover nights would be awesome.
Yeah - thought that for years with SPG.

Seems like we all have a routine of hitting status levels, and then not pushing any marginal stays to that chain for the rest of the year.

With Delta's rollover MQMs, I keep pushing flights to Delta always.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.