Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about companion missing the first flight but making return flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Poster

We have a trip scheduled round trip. I am the primary flyer and the wife is companion. However she needs to arrive earlier and booked a flight a week ahead of mine. We still intend to return on the same flight...

Will southwest remove her from the trip entirely if she misses the first flight? Need to know if we have to book her a return flight if the companion return flight gets removed.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:16 am

Just call WN and have her removed from the outbound. Problem solved.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think you should call Southwest and split your PNR into two one-ways.

Then remove her from the first one.

Yet another reason to book one-ways whenever you can.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
There is no penalty or fee to modify the flight and have her removed from the fist leg via one of the two methods above so why risk it with a no-show?

Just call and pull her off the first flight. They can do that and keep your CP on the second leg...easy peasy.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I think you should call Southwest and split your PNR into two one-ways.

Then remove her from the first one.

Yet another reason to book one-ways whenever you can.
This is what I would do, though admittedly you'll end up with exactly the same end result as smmrfld's suggestion.

I concur that this is another great example of why it's best to book one-ways - there is no solution here that doesn't require a phone call, but you'd be able to handle it yourself online if you'd booked them separately. I've had good luck with the hold times lately, but that hasn't always been the case.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:16 pm

Call Southwest, have her removed from the outbound flight

5th time's the charm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure I would rely on the technique of just removing her from the outbound and showing up for the return.

Maybe I am just a belt-and-suspenders guy.

Can someone confirm that this process works?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:14 pm

I am not sure I would rely on the technique of just removing her from the outbound and showing up for the return.

I’m with you. I’d split reservation first and then drop companion on the outbound.

Computers can have a mind of their own no matter how many CS agents say all will be fine. Easier for them to say don’t worry than to split reservation. For my own peace of mind, I’ll work VERY hard to avoid the possibility of my wife’s reservation having a problem.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:04 pm

I've done this more times than I can count. Have called WN, had them remove companion from either the outbound or inbound when originally on both. Literally dozens of times. Never an issue.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Just note that if you split your companion's PNR into two one-ways and then cancel the outbound, the $5.60 security fee for both PNRs will become non-refundable and only available as RTFs in her name. WN's new system considers this a "modification" to both PNRs and results in non-refundability. Due to this, I recommend calling and just having her removed from the outbound only as then the security fees can be refunded to original form of payment versus being tied up in RTFs. I personally do not like supporting the Bank of Southwest anymore than I have to.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I've done this more times than I can count. Have called WN, had them remove companion from either the outbound or inbound when originally on both. Literally dozens of times. Never an issue.
So you habitually book RTs instead of one-ways?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:14 am

So you habitually book RTs instead of one-ways?
When necessary for more efficient reimbursement, which is quite often, yes. Not sure what that has to do with OP's question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.