Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overheard from FR In F to DTW to YYZ - Toronto

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AC Elite, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat

OK Folks, has anyone heard this before

Tonight we board DTW to YYZ, FA before departure goes around requesting FC drink orders. She then says ``I hope you realize that as we pass into Canada I can not serve any Alcohol on the last half of the flight (after 30 minutes elapsed) because of Canadian Rules. So the last 30 minutes will be alcohol fee`. In 16 Years of flying to YYZ I have never heard this - is this reality or shenanigans. where the FA`s make their own rules. Please do not flame the poster. Yes the last 20+- minutes of the flight are for locking up the galley after the pilot makes there announcement - double ding.

The way it was said was that Delta (foreign carrier) could not serve alcohol in CA airspace.Many FA`s will not serve PDB. It is hit or miss. Most foreign carriers do serve into CA - KLM-AF-CEA-Cathy-Ba etc.

Is the FA correct or 1000+ flights into YYZ did not follow the rules. This was a GO Jet FA.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:38 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Either total BS or F/A mixed up Canada with Iran or Saudi Arabia...

I have never heard anything like this on any of my flights to Canada.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I have never heard of any such rule or law. DL and G7 are both US based airlines, so they must follow the laws of the USA. I think the FA made up this "rule".
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:08 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Wow, must be totally fictional.

I'm usually getting pretty tipsy as we pass into Canadian airspace on all my west coast TATLs and have never had a drink shutdown.

I don't even think the airspace a plane is in has any bearing on the law onboard. I thought it had to do with the country of registration.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe some folks haven't noticed this yet, but the regional FA's aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed. While I've had some great ones, there's also been a fair number of duds. Before everyone goes off and assumes this was due to evil intent or malice, why don't you take a deep breath and consider maybe she simply misheard and misread something and interpreted a rule incorrectly. I know there are issues with serving PDB's while on the ground in certain provinces in Canada and Ontario is one of those (I believe it is related to duties payments/taxes required while on the ground). So possibly she was confused by this particular rule and thought it somehow applied when both on the ground and over the territory.
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:01 am

Maybe it's the Canadian response to the Trump lumber tariffs.
hi55us and sdadept like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
FA is making stuff up. I haven't flown DTW-YYZ, but I've taken SEA-YVR (which is similar in length) many times on multiple airlines and have always been served any beverage without issue.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by canuk
OK Folks, has anyone heard this before

Tonight we board DTW to YYZ, FA before departure goes around requesting FC drink orders. She then says ``I hope you realize that as we pass into Canada I can not serve any Alcohol on the last half of the flight (after 30 minutes elapsed) because of Canadian Rules. So the last 30 minutes will be alcohol fee`. In 16 Years of flying to YYZ I have never heard this - is this reality or shenanigans. where the FA`s make their own rules. Please do not flame the poster. Yes the last 20+- minutes of the flight are for locking up the galley after the pilot makes there announcement - double ding.

The way it was said was that Delta (foreign carrier) could not serve alcohol in CA airspace.Many FA`s will not serve PDB. It is hit or miss. Most foreign carriers do serve into CA - KLM-AF-CEA-Cathy-Ba etc.

Is the FA correct or 1000+ flights into YYZ did not follow the rules. This was a GO Jet FA.
As the other DL DM from YYZ this looks like father cow just pooped

Last edited by tentseller; Sep 22, 2017 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
What does the 'FR' in the title of this thread mean?

I've flown from Windsor to YTZ (Toronto City) with a beer for the duration of the flight... When leaving DTW you are 'in Canada' about 10 minutes after take-off. None of what the FA said made sense.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:50 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What does the 'FR' in the title of this thread mean?
I suspect it was a typo for "FA"
kthomas likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Skyteam
Alcohol fee? US or Canadian money?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Maybe some folks haven't noticed this yet, but the regional FA's aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed. While I've had some great ones, there's also been a fair number of duds. Before everyone goes off and assumes this was due to evil intent or malice, why don't you take a deep breath and consider maybe she simply misheard and misread something and interpreted a rule incorrectly. I know there are issues with serving PDB's while on the ground in certain provinces in Canada and Ontario is one of those (I believe it is related to duties payments/taxes required while on the ground). So possibly she was confused by this particular rule and thought it somehow applied when both on the ground and over the territory.
Hanlon's razor, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
AceReport, kthomas and zpaul like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
FA was confused. I had one that thought couldn't serve at all for an ex-Canada flight. Not just PDB, but at any point. Luckily for drinkers, there was a GoJet exec on board. He explained it was just PDB that was an issue.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
If I could have a dollar for every time they shut down alcohol service on the BOS-MSP/DTW routes when we pass over Toronto... i'd have $0.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by skchin
Alcohol fee? US or Canadian money?
Irrelevant now as it is all plastic, crads not bills.
When cash was accepted it was US$ only for DL regional flights to/from YYZ including NW days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.