Flights from Bristol Temple Mead?!

Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Flights from Bristol Temple Mead?!

Was just looking via the app into sending the oldies away for a weekend ex BRS (I thought - rightly or wrongly - that BA were using the Embraers on weekends) and was presented with a few options...all ex Temple Meads (aka TPB) on a (sort of) GWR codeshare. Is this for real?

Ive no idea what the TP and Avios might be...although the fare bucket for the train was Y so maybe 20 for the TPB-LHR sector?)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:24 pm

It's for real. Launched a few years ago although I don't know how long they've been bookable on BA.com.

Not a codeshare, just a through ticket. So you unsurprisingly won't earn any TPs/avios for the train journey.

More discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...t-western.html
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:41 pm

IIRC Amtrak in the US used to do actual codeshares with Continental.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:59 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I thought - rightly or wrongly - that BA were using the Embraers on weekends
You are right there from BRS. Shame all the routes are poor and once a week
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:07 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
I'm booked on a Swissair numbered flight in a month or twos time - and it's a train.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
OS do train code shares as well
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LPQ
I'm booked on a Swissair numbered flight in a month or twos time - and it's a train.
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
OS do train code shares as well
Indeed a speciality of the Lufthansa group. You get their equivalent to TPs and Avios on these train trips, and on DB there is a mini section of the train that you are supposed to sit in, or rather the seat allocation does this. Handy for things like Cologne and the other locations within fast access of FRA.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
IIRC Amtrak in the US used to do actual codeshares with Continental.
And United still does. UA28xx are Amtrak trains.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:27 am

Plenty of rail companies offer this to airlines.

SNCF has the TGV AIR service in France and Deutsche Bahn offers full network access to seemingly every airline you can think of.

I had a CX boarding pass for a TGV codeshare to Lyon the other month. No Avios/TPs but my wife did get AsiaMiles from it.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed a speciality of the Lufthansa group. You get their equivalent to TPs and Avios on these train trips, and on DB there is a mini section of the train that you are supposed to sit in, or rather the seat allocation does this. Handy for things like Cologne and the other locations within fast access of FRA.
They also have a special 'Air-rail' check-in area at FRA don't they, but I haven't quite worked out what purpose it serves.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
In a similar vein, there used to be SAS flight numbers that were actually for a ferry from Copenhagen to Malmo. All gone since the bridge opened I think.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think Singapore Airlines have these train codeshares into Paddington too. I've also done an ex-EU from Antwerp where the first leg was a train to AMS!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Wikipedia has a list of railway stations with IATA codes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ilway_stations

Last edited by flatlander; Sep 22, 2017 at 2:40 am Reason: clarify
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Foltan
They also have a special 'Air-rail' check-in area at FRA don't they, but I haven't quite worked out what purpose it serves.
Yes, I presume you mean the area after the rail platforms and heading towards the main airport buildings, and I have used it. If you are departing from say Cologne, you can pick up your boarding passes from the Lufthansa self service machines on Kln station, and you can do that say 15 minutes before departure, get all the boarding passes for the flight at the same time. Not strictly necessary since the App also works. You take your luggage with you on the train in the normal way, but when you get to FRA the AIRail agents then take your checked baggage off you, and if necessary rebook your flight: the connections can be deliberately quite tight but the ticket is protected if there are rail delays (and DB isn't necessarily better than UK trains in that area).

It's a jolly good system, and if I were running the Rail Delivery Group I would implement something similar for both rail companies and airlines when the Queen Elizabeth line is opened.

Incidentally TheJayHatch, what exactly were you trying to book when this option came up? I tried to do something on my App and it didn't show anything interesting.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:21 am

I tried Bristol to NYC yesterday on BA.com and it offered me the train connection.

The MCT at LHR seemed to be 1h30.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.