Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "One beverage policy"--BS or real?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GOLD (status matched)
AA "One beverage policy"--BS or real?

Hi all,
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere -- I couldn't find a thread.

I was on a 1.5 hr flight from LGA-DTW the other day. I was sitting about halfway back on the plane and the FA was coming through with a full beverage cart. He gave me some pretzels and I asked politely for "water with no ice and ginger ale please." He replied "You can only have one beverage sir".

I was a bit taken aback since I have probably flown AA about 200 times int'l and domestic in the past 5 years and this flight at least a few dozen times and never heard of this. I said "is that a new policy?" and he said "Nope. It's been the policy for years. If anyone else gave you 2 drinks they were breaking the rules. You can choose one beverage sir, do you want the water or the ginger ale." I was sort of shocked and not terribly thirsty and just said "Ok, I've never heard that before, I'll take the water."

I don't want to get an underpaid FA in trouble but I have literally never heard this on any airline. Sure, if someone is ordering multiple alcoholic drinks, I get it that they should refuse--but water and ginger ale (and there was plenty of both on that cart)--that seems ridiculous.

I was going to write to AA customer service but wanted to check on FT first to see if this is the sad reality of US domestic travel these days?

I voluntarily let my ExPlat status lapse last year because I was starting to feel AA wasn't worth the effort. I am Plat now and will be next year too but this is the sort of thing that just makes customers not want to bother showing any loyalty.

thanks
spsdc
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sounds like BS to me. I'd have no problem sending in a complaint. What FAs get paid is not my problem- I have little patience for those who decide to make up their own rules. I don't expect them to break any rules for me, but they are also not a law unto themselves. Luckily, I've been fortunate enough to run into very few of those types on board. They really need to either be retrained or let go- shape up or ship out.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:02 pm

Flying international in Y on AA, you get a single alcoholic drink I believe. But I've never heard a limitation like you describe on domestic flight.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:08 pm

total hogwash
Sweetone likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:11 pm

No such rule!
JDiver, Sweetone, deeruck and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by skylady
No such rule!
OK, that was your one allowed post today.

Oh, wait, there's no such rule.
aktchi and 757FO like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, DL GOLD (status matched)
thanks everyone for the quick replies.
I will write to AA customer service. let me know if there are preferred addresses / contact points that FTers use to make sure they're heard. Otherwise I will dig up the address of the last person I wrote to a couple years ago
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
This sounds like a classic response from a "we're primarily here for your safety" FA. Thankfully I usually have great luck with AA. I can think of two bad FA's, although once in awhile I will get an unenthusiastic crew just going through the motions.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by spsDC
thanks everyone for the quick replies.
I will write to AA customer service. let me know if there are preferred addresses / contact points that FTers use to make sure they're heard. Otherwise I will dig up the address of the last person I wrote to a couple years ago
Easiest is to just use the complaint form on the AA website. You could also send a DM to the Twitter account.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Easiest is to just use the complaint form on the AA website. You could also send a DM to the Twitter account.
I agree. Hit 'em on Twitter. That Twitter team is pretty responsive. Also a letter is read by one employee who goes through the motions, gives you 3000 miles and then opens the next letter. Twitter can be seen by all and causes a lot more consternation.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Sounds like someone was amusing themselves/had a chip on his shoulder and was making up rules.

Originally Posted by swingaling
Flying international in Y on AA, you get a single alcoholic drink I believe. But I've never heard a limitation like you describe on domestic flight.
I've gotten more wine/additional drinks many times while flying international Y on AA. I've never heard of a "one alcoholic beverage" rule on international flights.

Of course, don't be surprised if you get chastised for heading back to the galley midflight and asking for a drink.
Wembleygal likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Was it just the regular water or some other type?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Order the ginger ale. Then ten minutes later, ring the call bell and ask for water. My guess is the FA won't dare deny you a glass of water.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I agree. Hit 'em on Twitter. That Twitter team is pretty responsive. Also a letter is read by one employee who goes through the motions, gives you 3000 miles and then opens the next letter. Twitter can be seen by all and causes a lot more consternation.
^
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:42 pm

Flight attendant here... absolutely complain! That person should not be a FA. I worked with someone like that last week and hated every minute of it. It was embarrassing. There is absolutely no rule prohibiting more than one drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.