Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking 2 adults + 2 toddlers in separate classes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi, wanted to get some feedback on the following possible booking:

I want to fly LAX to MIL (either airports).
I have a Chase voucher so I was thinking to book one adult and one toddler in CW (utilizing said voucher + avios) and the other adult and kid in WTP (on a separate PNR I guess).

Is cabin crew ok with us possibly swapping seats during the flight, so to give all the opportunity to use the flat bed?

R/T cash in WTP for one adult plus toddler is $2800
R/T avios in CW for one adult plus toddler is 130k (because of voucher) + $2000 in taxes.

I'm thinking, it's a decent use o the voucher and gives us at least 2 CW seats to juggle?

I can't imagining spending otherwise more than $5k for us just flying in WTP...I guess...welcome to flying with kids over 2 yo!

Any feedback is much appreciated.

thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
I have seen this happen but it is frowned upon by both by crew (and most probably prohibited) and other pax. Constant swaps are definitely a no-no but single swap who knows.

I would book on the assumption you won't be allowed to swap, and then see how well disposed the crew are towards you on the day.

Alternatively you can could immediately put both kids together at the back and not do any swapping. This would not trigger any negative reactions, but as you called them toddlers it sounds like they are too young for this to be an option.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:27 pm

I'm almost certain BA policy is now that children under 12 must travel in the same cabin as at least 1 adult from the party. As someone who was regularly left at the back with my siblings (once youngest was 6, oldest 10) and actually quite enjoyed the independence I think it's slight overkill. Frankly we enjoyed sitting as a 3 where we could see/talk to each other & would have hated the current J setup not to mention the financial implications!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
In the past I have done something like this: the adult and child who are booked in J use the J seats on the outbound leg and the adult and child who are booked in WTP use J on the inbound leg. Cabin crew have never taken exception to that.

Not sure about swapping seats mid flight though. I assume you're planning to do the swap I've mentioned above, rather than putting the two adults in J and the two (small?) children in WTP.
orbitmic and Flame3601 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mda03jb
I'm almost certain BA policy is now that children under 12 must travel in the same cabin as at least 1 adult from the party. As someone who was regularly left at the back with my siblings (once youngest was 6, oldest 10) and actually quite enjoyed the independence I think it's slight overkill. Frankly we enjoyed sitting as a 3 where we could see/talk to each other & would have hated the current J setup not to mention the financial implications!
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/family-travel/tickets-and-travel-documents

This page states ages 5 to 12 can be seated in a different cabin.

To the OP: I have also seen seat swapping happen and you may find the CC have no issue with it as long as it doesn't cause any disruption, you may also find the CC reject your request. I would book whatever I was comfortable with. Might be one does Y one way and the other gets the return..
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Leave the kids at home ? Problem solved ...

I would rather switch on the inbound/outbound segments instead if it was me , so much easier as i have also been in similar predicaments in the past. Additionally i do not agree with switching around mid flight as it is a tad unfair on crew and pax's as technically you're not the ticketed passenger for that seat and should not be sitting there. I also think it should not be encouraged , could you imagine half the J cabin switching half way through the flight for a load of economy traveling companions to come have their turn in J . That is just my view on it. Recently saw this happen on a DXB-CPT segment on EK , clearly the 4 pax's (2 in F & 2 in J ) where Emirati Royal family or something along those lines as they got the VVIP treatment , but it was such a annoyance with them switching and everyone wondering what on earth they were doing especially with the kids running between the cabins speaking to Mum and Dad then running back and forth. I am sure your two are much more well behaved thou :P

That may be just me , i am sure others will beg to differ ! Enjoy your trip none the less , my wife was in MIL a few months ago and said it was fantastic - clearly from the credit card statement.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:37 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
You can always ask the cabin crew, but I don't think they would be keen on the idea of swapping mid-flight.
I share an experience from nearly 20 years ago, on UL CMB-LHR, where one could frequently get upgraded on oversold flights simply by being the last to check in (none of this CIV/tempting first time flyers to buy the higher cabin next time/never upgrade an infant nonsense). We (myself, brother, sister (all in our teens) and mum) played that game and won. But only 3 out of the four of us got upgraded from economy to business. It was a 11 hour flight and I remember we had a rotation between the business seats and economy- each of us had to sit in economy for 2 hours 45 mins. The cabin crew were quite happy to play along, often helping keep watch on the time before the seat rotation changed again. Doubt that would ever happen now
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Smile

I agree with recommendation of 1 parent in Business with other parent with kids and switch parent on return flight. This is what we do.

Going Toronto to Sydney and am tempted to put one parent one kid in business and switching the kid midflight so each can get sleep. Since "all Asians look alike," I hoping the CC will not notice. I'll probably just put one parent in Business.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies!
the kids will be 3 and half yo, so the option has always been one adult with one kid in each class.
i do understand the swap done mid-flight might not be a great thing or just flat out forbidden by cabin Crew.
I would say though, we’d book the last row of CW in the lower deck (A380) which is just one “curtain” beyond WTP. So the swap would be very minimal and discreet.
anyways, we can definitely plan on just swapping seats for inbound/outbound rather than during the flight.
And for anyone saying stuff like “no kids in CW” or similar, I invite them to reflect on the fact that once you were a kid too.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I don't see any problem with one swap mid flight.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: ECH Gold
Originally Posted by hyperspace
Thank you all for the replies!
the kids will be 3 and half yo, so the option has always been one adult with one kid in each class.
i do understand the swap done mid-flight might not be a great thing or just flat out forbidden by cabin Crew.
I would say though, we’d book the last row of CW in the lower deck (A380) which is just one “curtain” beyond WTP. So the swap would be very minimal and discreet.
anyways, we can definitely plan on just swapping seats for inbound/outbound rather than during the flight.
And for anyone saying stuff like “no kids in CW” or similar, I invite them to reflect on the fact that once you were a kid too.
I think on BA A380 the WTP is on upper deck so you wd need to select 2 CW seats at the back of the CW cabin on the upper deck.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:12 am

We did this mid-flight with BA, we didn't intend to (I was in CW with a 7 year old, my husband in WTP with a 3 year old.) My 3 year old started shouting for me and wouldn't settle, given my 7 year old was fast asleep the cabin crew kindly let me move to settle the disruptive toddler!!! It was also my birthday so that was a real treat for me!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cuspidor
I think on BA A380 the WTP is on upper deck so you wd need to select 2 CW seats at the back of the CW cabin on the upper deck.
true! My bad. Upper deck will be then! Unless we do lower Deck and mix CW and Y classes. Though, should the aircraft be swapped, most likely WTP would be between CW and Y, making a possible swap mid-flight less “discrete”
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mda03jb
The reason for this policy is so that in the event of an evacuation the parents will not be fighting against the flow of evacuees to find/retrieve their children from the other cabin, slowing up everyone in the process and endangering lives
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Doccykins
The reason for this policy is so that in the event of an evacuation the parents will not be fighting against the flow of evacuees to find/retrieve their children from the other cabin, slowing up everyone in the process and endangering lives
Because that would surely not happen with a 13/14 yo...

Tell people it's because a 11 yo is not deemed enough autonomous to be alone in a cabin, as for using e-gates, lifts and a lot of other things... but the evacuation/security as a reason is a bit dumb. IMO.

PS
Of course I am "replying" to BA policy, not to Doccykins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.