Typhoon HATO

Subscribe
Typhoon Signal No9 Hoisted
Typhoon Signal No. 10 just hoisted at 09:10am HK time. This means winds around 155 km/hr.
Quote: I guess a slow news day at the Daily Fruit. The HKO is predicting T8 by tomorrow morning. Projected wind speeds nowhere near a T9, much less a T10.
Well, the Daily Fruit was right (once again?). T10 signal now hoisted. It's ugly out there.
I can confirm, typhoon signal T10 has been raised. This is going to be nasty.

Stay safe everyone.
Quote: Flying YYZ to OKA found out after arriving in HK that the HKG to OKA leg is cancelled. Everything was booked via Cathay Pacific site so we went to the CP counter. We are Marco Polo Green, they directed us to the Cathay Dragon counter who told us to call the reservation line. After 2 hours of waiting on hold we went back to the desk. After an hour pleading politely for another flight they offered to book us in the 27 (original flight is 23rd) but suggested that we don't book the 27th but rather wait until the 23rd. They said that the airline should contact us and possibly get us on an earlier flight. No food or lodging assistance was offered. They said that we have to fend for ourselves. Still waiting on airside for word. Any idea the best way to proceed?
Find a quiet corner of the airport to sleep if hotels are all full. Hope.

It's a weather delay, so yes, you do need to fend for yourselves. You may be abkle to claim some goodwill compensation, but otherwise start looking at the small print of your travel insurance
Quote: Find a quiet corner of the airport to sleep if hotels are all full. Hope.

It's a weather delay, so yes, you do need to fend for yourselves. You may be abkle to claim some goodwill compensation, but otherwise start looking at the small print of your travel insurance
Might as well head back into Hong Kong city and find a hotel there instead of sitting at the airport for 2-3 days.

Unless everything is on lock down including the MRT service.
Quote: Might as well head back into Hong Kong city and find a hotel there instead of sitting at the airport for 2-3 days.

Unless everything is on lock down including the MRT service.
It's lockdown at least for the next few hours, for sure...
Whoever that thought this would be 'nowhere near a T9'...
Quote: Whoever that thought this would be 'nowhere near a T9'...
The HKO, actually. They had this thing forecast as a Tropical Storm until earlier this morning. To their credit, since they raised the T8 signal early enough, nobody goes anywhere, even if it goes to 11...
Not directly CX related, but there were a couple of flights still trying to get out.
NH812 / ETD 0940 - pilots were talking to ATC and after hearing reports of current wind and windshear just cancelled. I think the passengers must have already been onboard. Windshear was 20-25 knots and severe turbulence.

I suspect AY100 is going not going either.

SQ857 says gate closed (STD 09:05 - current time 10:14) so I bet it's a no go too.
The current track has Hato skirting the southern part of Lantau in the next couple of hours, so I don't think there's going to be much flying out of HKG until later this afternoon or evening...
It looks like KL887 is attempting to land at HKG right now per FlightRadar24.
Kudos to CX crew for safely bringing down some of the morning arrivals ^

Quote: The HKO, actually. They had this thing forecast as a Tropical Storm until earlier this morning. To their credit, since they raised the T8 signal early enough, nobody goes anywhere, even if it goes to 11...
Not gonna argue with you but suggest you to double check your claims and also the definition of signal #9
Quote: Kudos to CX crew for safely bringing down some of the morning arrivals ^

Not gonna argue with you but suggest you to double check your claims and also the definition of signal #9
I don't think the HKO was considering this to be a T9 or T10 until this morning, after they had already pre-announced the T8 was going up early this morning. It's all academic, as the complaints always come when the HKO raises the T8 and it turns out to be a damp squib. This time they seem to have underestimated it, but "close enough" to call the day off for everybody.
No AEL

This message issued : 2017-08-23 09:10

Hurricane Signal 10
For safety reasons, Rail Service in the open or above ground sections of the railway and MTR Bus Service have now been suspended.

Whilst all efforts are being made to maintain a limited Rail Service in the underground sections of the railway, travel time may be longer and Rail Service may stop at any time without notice.