Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why Savvy U.S. Fliers Take Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC

More international travelers are finding better deals, nicer planes and faster flight times than they get from Delta, United or American by heading north

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-sav...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

"The increased passenger flow into and out of the U.S. has enabled Air Canada to offer more cities. Ben Lipsey, director of Air Canada’s global connection product, points to flights to Hartford that probably wouldn’t exist without the international connections. Air Canada launched 16 international and U.S. transborder routes in the second quarter and traffic increased 13.6% over the previous year. “If you offer the right price and the shortest elapsed time, you’re higher in the sort order” of online ticket-shopping, Mr. Lipsey says."

Bolded for effect.

The name popped out at me. Too bad he's not around anymore. I had no idea Ben was such a senior person within Air Canada.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
“If you offer the right price and the shortest elapsed time, you’re higher in the sort order” of online ticket-shopping, Mr. Lipsey says."

​​​​​​That explains why when I book round trip tickets to/from Canada that Air Canada flights are near the bottom. Usually charging the locals and direct tourist/business travellers more.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:41 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I've flown PDX-YVR-PVG multiple times, if it wasn't for the horrible schedule in and out of PDX this would be my go to, everything with AC is superior to the DL out of SEA, UA out of SFO/LAX and AA out of LAX.

Hopefully AC gets better times for me to and from PDX and I will more than happy to give up my UA 1K and move to AC.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There's another FTer in the article. The name may not pop out quite as much, but it's pretty obvious.

I was contacted by the reporter, but he wanted people with knowledge about US-Canada-International flights on AC, and while I've done a couple, the last one was over 2 years ago, so I declined.

But yes, Ben is fairly senior. His current title, per LinkedIn, is "Director & Chief of Staff - Office of the President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada"

He was a valued asset of FT.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Any way to read the whole article without subscribing?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There's another FTer in the article. The name may not pop out quite as much, but it's pretty obvious.
Please, cow, it's SUPER-obvious! We all know BenS is an FTer, even if he doesn't post anymore
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Any way to read the whole article without subscribing?
The WSJ recently strengthened their paywall and closed the "Google Loophole". You can still get apps or Chrome extensions that can circumvent the paywall but in my opinion the content isn't worth the effort.

I could post the content here but I wouldn't want to run afoul of the FT TOS and raise the ire of mods
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YYZC2
The WSJ recently strengthened their paywall and closed the "Google Loophole". You can still get apps or Chrome extensions that can circumvent the paywall but in my opinion the content isn't worth the effort.

I could post the content here but I wouldn't want to run afoul of the FT TOS and raise the ire of mods
No worries as found another version:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/compa...J7F?ocid=ientp
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Please, cow, it's SUPER-obvious! We all know BenS is an FTer, even if he doesn't post anymore

How about "an active poster"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

IIRC I met this person through you at YYZ.

This morning I met a fellow SE flight-mate who noticed my FT luggage tag and we got started talking about the article. I often see Americans in J, starting a few years back... going everywhere in the network.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From YYC I suppose. Pretty obvious.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
US Airlines HATE them!

Find out the latest trick that frequent fliers are using!

I mean, I guess the savvy Canadian fliers taking US airlines isn't worthy of an article, though
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Can confirm, have done DCA-YUL-LHR and DCA-YOW-LHR, both much better experiences than connecting through IAD or JFK, with prices as good or better than the US big 3 and better wx/irrops handling if you ask me.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Pricing and hard product is the main reason that US fliers are using AC. Connection time being secondary though the connection experiences at LAX, ORD etc suck.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
DCA-YUL-MRS is a lot more convenient (and less flight time) for me than IAD-FRA-MRS or similar. Of course I will have to be in Rouge (premium) but price was comparable to mainline Y+ with more connections.
Going to IAD is a chore compared to DCA and UA does not often offer good connecting prices for DCA-EWR-XXX if there's an option from the IAD hub.

Of course the lounges in DCA and YUL don't compare to IAD and FRA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.