Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

D1 DTW-ICN 747 better to sit upstairs or no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG Gold

Looking for some input from anyone who has had the experience. Is it better to sit upstairs on the 747 in D1 or not, being D1 is on the main level and upstairs, so just wondering if anyone has preferences that they could share?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sit upstairs before the 747s are all gone and you don't get that chance.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I haven't flown on the lower deck but have flown on the upper deck and the upper deck is only 14 seats. At least 2 FAs up there and 2 lavs for 14 passengers (and the pilots). Never had to wait once for a lab on the 12 hour NRT-DTW flight. As others have put it, it's probably one of the closest experiences you can get to flying a private jet on a commercial airline (shy of perhaps the Etihad Residence Suite or Singapore Suite).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
My vote - definitely upper deck.

There are several threads on this question if you want to read a variety of opinions.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
There are numerous threads on this topic already, but generally you should always go for upper deck.

It's 1-1 seating and these will be going away soon. You get a smaller, quieter cabin (with 2 dedicated lavs up front), and almost zero foot traffic.

Only downside I can think of is that larger carry-ons most likely won't fit in the overhead bins (they are smaller on the upper deck to the curvature of the aircraft fuselage), but FAs are generally pretty good about stowing carry-ons in a closet by the galley.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
If you've never sat upstairs before, and have an upcoming 744 D1 flight, run don't walk to delta.com and pick an upstairs seat.

It's a great seat, a great cabin, and with the right crew, it can be an absolutely world-class J experience.

It's interesting to sit in the first row downstairs, but they're quite close, so I wouldn't recommend it over upper deck, unless you're traveling with someone with whom you'll want to chat.

Actually, even then.... upper deck is the place to be.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Generally choose upper deck, but 1A and 1K are interesting seats too. I don't find them too close because you are facing the wall.
What are likely to be my last DL 747 flights are Wed, 7/26-77K and Fri, 8/3-75K. DTW-NRT-DTW.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I always prefer downstairs on 747's, simply because one cannot stow a standard
carry-on overhead - it must go in the closet, making access difficult.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
About to board the upper deck in 3.5 hours DTW-ICN.
Couldn't imagine a better place to be on the 747.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Upper deck for sure. I sat in the upper deck two years ago when Delta used this aircraft on the CDG/DTW route.

All 1-1 seating, I never had to wait for the lav, there's only 14 passengers and two FA's so the service is great.

The time I flew upstairs I didn't sleep much but it would be very easy to sleep since you don't have a lot of people bothering you to use the lavs and since parents aren't going to want to deal with lugging an infant or luggage up the steps and the 1-1 seating you probably won't have any infants up there either.

Only drawback is smaller bin space as a couple have pointed out. My backpack fitted fine in the bin and a small carryon should as well. FA was great about putting my rollerbag in the closet and I didn't need access to it in flight so no big deal.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Global Entry, TSA Pre√
Upstairs, definitely. If only for the experience of climbing the stairs and enjoying how isolated you feel from the rest of the herd.

I spent a lot of years flying as a non-rev on TWA when my dad was a 747 captain. While I certainly have fond memories flying first class up in the nose on the lower level, flying business on the upper deck was also truly great. I have an upcoming DL-coded KE flight on a 747 (ICN-JFK) that offered the option of a prestige seat on either level. I jumped at the chance to select upper level so my girlfriend could experience it. We both have a preference to not feel crowded (not just immediate personal space, but the sight of a sea of people in a long cabin can be a bummer) and the upper deck of a 747 uniquely offers unsurpassed intimacy/privacy. You forget that you're on a plane with 375~ other people. Experience it before they're gone!

Second post; I hope this was helpful.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I've made 5 or 6 flights on the UD over the last few years.

Even have a photo on me in the left seat in the cockpit and wife in the right.

You would be missing a great experience of you passed up the opportunity.

I am going to miss this last vestige of a time when there was still a glimmer of graciousness associated with air travel.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I've made 5 or 6 flights on the UD over the last few years.

Even have a photo on me in the left seat in the cockpit and wife in the right.

You would be missing a great experience of you passed up the opportunity.

I am going to miss this last vestige of a time when there was still a glimmer of graciousness associated with air travel.
On a SEA-DTW positioning flight last year the pilots graciously invited us to the cockpit to take pictures. Will never forget that experience as I got to sit in the left seat of the cockpit before pushback. What an amazing flight.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by bj27
On a SEA-DTW positioning flight last year the pilots graciously invited us to the cockpit to take pictures. Will never forget that experience as I got to sit in the left seat of the cockpit before pushback. What an amazing flight.
The 747 pilots that I have met have been really great. (Granted, virtually all DL pilots are a credit to the airline.)

Some who I have spoken with seem to have a particular affection for the 747. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for them to see this wonderful plane taken away from them.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
DL Really should sell the seats on the UD at a premium, they're sooooo much better, no brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.