Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One 777 vs Korean Air A380 for solo traveler

Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

Which would you choose? I have the chance to switch from D1 on a 777 to an Korean Air A380 in biz ICN-JFK.

I've flown the 380 with someone else in J, which was great, but I'm concerned about the 2-2-2 seating as a solo traveler.

Thoughts for a lazy Sunday?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
I would take the KE equipment and service on an A380 upstairs over the DL product every day of the week.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd take D1.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ATL787
I would take the KE equipment and service on an A380 upstairs over the DL product every day of the week.
Cannot agree more. I usually take a window seat for the extra storage. The one time someone was sitting in the other seat I climbed over his legs easily. Usually, though, the upstairs is half empty. Having the coffee area in the front and the bar in the back means you have somewhere else to go during the flight. It also means others will go there instead of opening windows in the cabin. Not to mention how much nicer the bathrooms are, how much quieter it is not having the crowds behind you and how much space you have to just walk around.

IIRC MSPeconomist does not like that the KE seats come a few inches short of full recline. While this is true, it's never kept me from sleeping. Heck, I use a pillow anyway for a little recline. The very slight slope up is kinda like that to me. If the slight recline bothers you, take D1.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:58 am

i usually take the middle aisle when flying KE's 380. that way no one is climbing on top of you. it is a nice plane. quite and clean. the food is good too.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I'm unimpressed with the KE product on the A380 and would go with DL.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ATL787
I would pick DL corporate culture and professional training over KE every day of the week
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I vote for the 777 (and have flown both every times TPAC).

It is not just the egress issue with the window pairs, but also less privacy. And my last two flights I was relocated out of my middle seat into the side aisle (and not a seat assignment glitch, they elected to prefer some other customer over me).

As a couple though I would vote for the 380.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I vote for the 777 (and have flown both every times TPAC).

It is not just the egress issue with the window pairs, but also less privacy. And my last two flights I was relocated out of my middle seat into the side aisle (and not a seat assignment glitch, they elected to prefer some other customer over me).

As a couple though I would vote for the 380.
Will be flying on the DL 777 D1 in about a week and it doesn't look private at all with the herringbone layout.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by apodo77
Will be flying on the DL 777 D1 in about a week and it doesn't look private at all with the herringbone layout.
Flew a 777 earlier today. 7A is relatively private compared to the other seats. Has an extra shelf for storage also. (Assume 7D is the same)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Flew a 777 earlier today. 7A is relatively private compared to the other seats. Has an extra shelf for storage also. (Assume 7D is the same)
Yep - I've flown both, which is why I'm thinking hard about the 2-2-2 layout of KE J since I'd be crawling over a stranger if someone is sitting next to me (I like the window seats on the 380 because of the extra space).

Still deciding...
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Was able to snag 7a.
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:21 am

Assuming the A380 isn't using the ancient old seats, the window seats are extremely private and you don't need to step over anyone to get out. If you're planning on sleeping I'd take that (unless you're taller than 6'2", in which case it's too short to sleep comfortably). If you're going to be awake the whole time, I'd definitely do the KE flight assuming a window seat is available.

Just be aware that KE tends to keep the cabin at a temperature that many find uncomfortably warm, so you may want to bring a USB powered fan.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
The next to last time that I flew upstairs on the KE 380, I was the only one in the back section for a flight attendant to passenger ratio of 2 to 1. Needless to say, the service was extraordinary :-)
On the more recent flight, they were considerably more passengers, but I would still vote for KE. On the other hand, the D1 flight can be delightful as well. This is one of those were not sure you can go wrong with either decision
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by quemalo
... and you don't need to step over anyone to get out.
You have to step over someone if the seat is extended flat. If the seat is upright you don't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.