Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award Travel Skymiles / Medallion Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

First post- please be gentle with me

Tried searching for the answer but confused still so thought Id ask. Apologies if its been asked before.

Currently Gold Medallion status and have earned enough for Silver Medallion for next year. I have some good mileage I can use for award free travel.

Questions:

1) If I use the miles for award travel, does that change my current medallion status? How about my silver status for next year, is that affected?

2) If I do end up using the miles for award free travel, does that travel also earn me miles towards Medallion status??

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by angel_benet
1) If I use the miles for award travel, does that change my current medallion status? How about my silver status for next year, is that affected?
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but it sounds like you're concerned that redeeming miles will move you backwards, that's not the case. Status is determined by MQM (medallion qualification miles), not RDM (redeemable miles). When you use RDM to acquire tickets it doesn't affect your MQM.

2) If I do end up using the miles for award free travel, does that travel also earn me miles towards Medallion status??
If you are buying normal award tickets, the answer is no. However, if you buy regular revenue tickets but use the "pay with miles" option, then the answer is yes.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, but it sounds like you're concerned that redeeming miles will move you backwards, that's not the case. Status is determined by MQM (medallion qualification miles), not RDM (redeemable miles). When you use RDM to acquire tickets it doesn't affect your MQM.

- You got me exactly right, and thanks for confirming that redeeming miles wont move me back!

If you are buying normal award tickets, the answer is no. However, if you buy regular revenue tickets but use the "pay with miles" option, then the answer is yes.
- Thanks as well for this, what's the difference though?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pay with Miles is an option for using miles to partially/wholly pay for revenue tickets at the rate of .01/mile. So you could use 10,000 miles to reduce your ticket price by $100. Unlike award tickets, these tickets earn MQM's (based on mileage), and miles/MQD's for the portion paid with cash. Award tickets earn no MQM's/MQD's/miles. It is only open to holders of a Delta American Express card. If you don't have a card, it will not be an option for you.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Okay got it thanks! I dont have the Delta Amex card so only option is award travel or pay for it! Thanks a bunch
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM
OP: please note though, that "pay with miles" and "cash + miles" are different. You won't earn miles if you use the "cash + miles" option, only the "pay with miles" option. Seems silly, I know, but that's the way it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.