Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If BA operate Taiwan & Philippines routes?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

If BA operate Taiwan & Philippines routes?

How do you think if BA fly LON-MNL via TPE? It is feasible?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:08 am

Welcome to Flyertalk, Tse Wai Shun Jerry. It's great to have you here.

I think it's highly unlikely BA would fly LHR-MNL-TPE as a tag route - BA is not really interested in such fifth freedom routings these days, except in the Caribbean which is a very different market.

However it's certainly possible that BA could launch one of LHR-MNL or LHR-TPE with their new aircraft in the coming years. I'd think TPE the more likely of the two. There are a lot of other potential new BA destinations though, so I wouldn't wager much money on either of them.

There was also some interesting/amusing discussion about TPE opportunities in this thread last year: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-tpe-per.html
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Néih hóu Tse Wai Shun Jerry, welcome to Flyertalk and to the BA Board, it's good to see you here and I hope we will see plenty more of you on this forum.

MNL was certainly under BA's radar, but there were all sorts of aspects that have meant that so far it hasn't returned to the BA schedule yet. BA used to run to MNL 4 days a week on 747 jumbo jets, with a stopover in Hong Kong (so BA31 and BA32, which still operates to HKG only). This is going back 20 years ago, more recently the rumours seemed to pitch MNL in a stopover with CGK/Jakarta, to get around some of the operational hurdles.

TPE seems to be an odd omission from BA's schedules, but the issue there is that a lot of local competition means that it's unlikely to be that profitable for BA. Again it features in the rumour list recently, but unfortunately I doubt we will see it in the near future. Going back to the past, it used to be a tag on service to BA25 and BA26. three days a week and again via HKG, but operated by British Asia Airways, which sadly is no longer with us.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Here's BA at TPE 1999 I reckon

Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Welcome to Flyertalk, Tse Wai Shun Jerry. It's great to have you here.

I think it's highly unlikely BA would fly LHR-MNL-TPE as a tag route - BA is not really interested in such fifth freedom routings these days, except in the Caribbean which is a very different market.

However it's certainly possible that BA could launch one of LHR-MNL or LHR-TPE with their new aircraft in the coming years. I'd think TPE the more likely of the two. There are a lot of other potential new BA destinations though, so I wouldn't wager much money on either of them.

There was also some interesting/amusing discussion about TPE opportunities in this thread last year: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-tpe-per.html
Indeed, clearly that gossip did not materialise - I was very excited for the TPE! And I still am, as it would open myriad of new routings to other places
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA used to run to MNL 4 days a week on 747 jumbo jets, with a stopover in Hong Kong (so BA31 and BA32, which still operates to HKG only). This is going back 20 years ago,
I did that flight in 1998! Probably my first flight that I have significant memory of - top deck of a 747, before they invented flat beds. I recall we could leave our hand baggage on board during the HKG stop - presumably not allowed any more...
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:32 am

My understanding is that China won't allow its airspace to be used for any flights to/from Taiwan. This is why EVA, for example, flies TPE-LHR via BKK.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
My understanding is that China won't allow its airspace to be used for any flights to/from Taiwan. This is why EVA, for example, flies TPE-LHR via BKK.
I heard another reason why Eva flies TPE-LHR via BKK. Because there a lot of travelers between Thailand<>Europe, that mean the route is profitable
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:54 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Tse Wai Shun Jerry
I heard another reason why Eva flies TPE-LHR via BKK. Because there a lot of travelers between Thailand<>Europe, that mean the route is profitable
I was told the same by AoT, who run the airports in Thailand.

Eva had difficulties filling the flights direct from TPE-LHR, so detour to BKK to collect passengers.

It's worth noting too, that TPE-BKK-TPE is a busy route for them.

M
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tse Wai Shun Jerry
I saw the theory at Taiwan's fourm. I think the aviation is influenced by business factors more than political factor in nowadays.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Back-in-the-day BA's service to Taipei operated LHR-HKG-TPE and was operated by a wholly owned subsidiary of BA called "British Asia Airways". If you google-it you'll be able to see the British Asia Airways aircraft had a different livery and IIRC operated under IATA code BR instead of BA. This all stopped after 9/11. The alliance with Cathay Pacific probably means it's a lot easier for BA to interline with CX over HKG for TPE and MNL passengers. I have flown from HKG to both TPE & MNL on BA metal, they used to sell really good discounted fares in Hongkong!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by clansey1973
Back-in-the-day BA's service to Taipei operated LHR-HKG-TPE and was operated by a wholly owned subsidiary of BA called "British Asia Airways". If you google-it you'll be able to see the British Asia Airways aircraft had a different livery and IIRC operated under IATA code BR instead of BA. This all stopped after 9/11. The alliance with Cathay Pacific probably means it's a lot easier for BA to interline with CX over HKG for TPE and MNL passengers. I have flown from HKG to both TPE & MNL on BA metal, they used to sell really good discounted fares in Hongkong!
Going via HKG is fine, as you're allowed to fly over (mainland) China to get to HKG, and from HKG to TPE doesn't go over China. It's flying direct LHR-TPE (or should I say non-stop, or whatever the correct marketing term is) that would involve a long detour.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:47 am

Going via HKG is fine, as you're allowed to fly over (mainland) China to get to HKG, and from HKG to TPE doesn't go over China. It's flying direct LHR-TPE (or should I say non-stop, or whatever the correct marketing term is) that would involve a long detour.
The KLM flight goes via China, so I assume BA would be able to do the same:

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/fligh...845Z/EHAM/RCTP
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The KLM flight goes via China, so I assume BA would be able to do the same:]
It does appear to route over HK airspace though, which is odd. It seems that my knowledge is out of date.

On topic, I fly to TPE once a year and quite like the transit in HKG. The lounges are nice as are the extra tier points!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It does appear to route over HK airspace though, which is odd. It seems that my knowledge is out of date.

On topic, I fly to TPE once a year and quite like the transit in HKG. The lounges are nice as are the extra tier points!
HK's airspace doesn't have the same restriction. Beijing avoids interfering in HK's internal affairs in quite such an overt way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.