Search

FC fully booked, no seats taken?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
FC fully booked, no seats taken?

I'm booked on AA 4497 (DCA-DTW), 6/30.
AA isn't selling any seats on that flight anymore, ExpertFlyer shows J1Y0. But according to the seat map on ExpertFlyer, no F seats have been taken.

Is it really plausible that F is fully booked, yet no one selected seats? Could AA have sold 8 extra economy tickets, planning to move people up to F? Haven't ever seen something like this before.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Sometimes, when Y is overbooked, AA will "zero out" the F cabin to prevent an oversold situation that involves pax being involuntarily denied boarding. Seeing that it's Y0, AA very possibly could have sold eight (or more) extra economy tickets. They're likely planning on moving people in Y up to F (elite pax will get upgraded first, typically), so this could work out well for you.

It could also be the case that a large group/organization purchased all available F seats but has not yet selected seats for travelers. This is a rather unlikely scenario.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aacar
I'm booked on AA 4497 (DCA-DTW), 6/30.
AA isn't selling any seats on that flight anymore, ExpertFlyer shows J1Y0. But according to the seat map on ExpertFlyer, no F seats have been taken.

Is it really plausible that F is fully booked, yet no one selected seats? Could AA have sold 8 extra economy tickets, planning to move people up to F? Haven't ever seen something like this before.
AA will definitely zero out J to oversell Y in some cases...at Y0 that's most likely what's going on.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aacar
Is it really plausible that F is fully booked, yet no one selected seats? Could AA have sold 8 extra economy tickets, planning to move people up to F?
It's possible. Also possible that they're anticipating IRROPS (severe weather?) around the time of the flight. Or it could be a glitch. I'd check back tomorrow morning to see if it's still zeroed out.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Makes sense. Thanks all!
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I have seen F get zero'ed out 30 minutes for boarding time (day before it was mostly full). Then lots of people upgraded. Then we they started getting duplicate boarding passes, they realized the glitch and deplaned those of us upgraded, then reboarded and gave upgraded passengers new coach seats - not their original seats.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11

It could also be the case that a large group/organization purchased all available F seats but has not yet selected seats for travelers. This is a rather unlikely scenario.
Haha reminds me of one of my flight from yyz to lax. I was on a award first class ticket on the non trans-cont 32b. The whole FC cabin was available for picking and I was thinking it would be a light flight. As the plane started filling up, the whole F cabin was still empty except for me. It was funny seeing a Y passenger trying to sneak their carryon into the overhead bins in F and saying to the FA there was no one sitting in F. Nope. The flight was fully booked and a family of 15 had booked the rest of the seats in F! They were the last ones on the plane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.