Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Quay West Suites Melbourne - awesome!

Quay West Suites Melbourne

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

26 Southgate Avenue Southbank, VC AU 3006

Quay West Suites Melbourne - awesome! (11 Photos)

Tip Top.

I decided to take my extended family on a holiday to Melbourne last week - all 10 of us. As one normally, does it - I do at least - step 1 is to check and book flights, and then I book the hotels. I have been caught out twice already in the past 18 months and now was the third time, that I should have checked if some major event / holiday is on at my destination. After booking the flights I found out that there was a big Jass Festival on, Argentina was playing Brazil and it was a long weekend. As we decided to share the cost of the accomodation, and other had a lower budget, the hunt waa on. Without going into details, but let's just say Accorhotels went above and beyond what I expected, my booking ended up at the Quay West Suites in a 3Bedroom apartment. A room that was a) not available during my initial search and b) even the 2Br apartments would have been too expensive. So thanks to the Accorhotels to make this work.

Check In

I had some communication with the GM of the Quay West Suites prior to my arrival and she had arranged for a "beautiful apartment overlooking Melbourne and the Yarra River". She did tell me that the room would be occupied the night prior to our arrival, but they would see if they could get us in as soon as possible.

After our overnight flight, we were at the property by 10am. As the guest had not checked out, we left all our suitcases (lots) with the reception. They helped us unload our 12 seater van and we were told to come back around noon.

We got back at 1pm, and checked in. Everything was ready, thanked for my loyalty to Accorhotels, was given a welcome drink voucher (which I never used), two sets of keys to access the lift lobby and the room. Asked for our suitcases and were told "don't worry, we have taken everything up to your room already". Wonderful!

Room

The apartment was wonderful. I understand they have different types of sizes for 3 bedrooms but we were given one with the largest layout "so the kids have space to run around". And space it had.

Specifications:

1 master bedroom with a kind bed including ensuite (incl a spa bath). Lots of storage space and space to lay out suitcases.

20170604_132819.jpg

Bedroom 2 has a queen sized bed, and also adequate space to unpack.

20170604_132749.jpg

bedroom 3 has two single beds which can also be combined into one queen bed. Ample storage space here as well.

20170604_132725.jpg

All three rooms have balconies with a view over Southbank and the Yarra River. All three rooms also have TVs.

20170604_132453.jpg

There is a seperate bathroom with shower in the corridor for room 2 + 3. 

Next there is a seperate laundry with washer and dryer. The laundry is a small room itself (not exposed like in other apartments).

20170604_132716.jpg

The living room had a large marble dining table with 6 chairs. Large sofa and large balcony with table and chairs.

20170604_132514.jpg

The kitchen was very big and had a seperate dining table with 3 chairs. Oven, full stove, large fridge, dishwasher, large countertops - basically what you find at home. The cupboards were adequately stocked with cutlery, crockery and cooking pans etc.

20170604_132438.jpg

We placed an additional two extra beds in the living room for the kids to sleep in.

Heating (/aircon) was centrally controlled and worked well.

Most important thought was the view from the apartment. It was very nice.

20170606_165835comp.jpg

20170604_210634comp.jpg

Service

A moment after entering the room, room service came with the welcome amenities. A welcome letter from the hotel, a large bowl of fruits (look at how they cut the apple), cheese, crackers etc and also a welcome box of Appelles bath amenities like fizz soap, creams etc - something very different.

The fridge was stocked with a usual mini-bar, but they also placed in there 6 packets of milk which were replenished daily. The same applies to the nespresso machine in the kitchen.

20170604_143146.jpg

What struck me about this property is the level of attention all staff give to their job. The front desk know what they were doing and quickly manned more stations when the line of guests grew. Everyone was multitasking and nothing was too much of a hasstle.

Housekeeping were great - we never saw them, but they paid attention to the guests usage of apartment amenities. So as it is expected they had washing machine detergent as well as dishwasher detergent. When they noticed that we were doing quite a bit of cooking, washing up and laundry, immediately the initial 3-4 packets of detergent grew to 10. Very proactive. When we asked for extra towels, I did not have to ever follow up and they were delivered within 5mins.

Dining

Some rates include breakfast and they have a restaurant within the property. It opens for breakfast and again for dinner as well. I can't commennt on that as I didn't try.

Pool

The pool also features an Indoor mineral salt pool, a well stocked gym, and a steam room.

We used the pool once and had lots of fun. It's a beautiful pool (not too cold) and also has a heated whirlpool.

20170608_100838.jpg

Location is great. Easy to find with the car (they have a carpark @AUD30/day). It's along the Southbank pedestrian mall and very close to lots of cafes. (Free) Tram stop into town is about a 5 min walk away. 

Overall

I was surprised and can't praise this property enough. The location, the service, the attention to the guest were spot on.

The beds were as comfortable as a new Pullman bed. All equipment in the apartment worked.

I guess there is a reason why its #9 on TA for Melbourne. 

Would strongly recommend. If you must have a lounge, go for the Sofitel. For anything else, stay here.

Quay West Suites Melbourne - awesome!

Would you like to write a review on the Quay West Suites Melbourne?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Excellent review gilbertaue ^ Now where does this property fit into the Accor brands? (also earning wise?) And what is a "Jass Festival"?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starflyergold
And what is a "Jass Festival"?
A festival of:
noun. 1. a card game for two persons that is played with a 36-card pack made by removing all cards below the sixes from a regular 52-card pack, in which point values are assigned to certain melds and to certain cards taken in tricks.

So immensely popular that all hotels were booked out
- ok ok... JaZZ if you insist.

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Excellent review gilbertaue ^ Now where does this property fit into the Accor brands? (also earning wise?)
I got the same amount of points as staying in a Sofitel / The Sebel.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Excellent review gilbertaue. Always good to see hotels doing a nice job with loyal customers of the brand ^
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:37 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
The various Quay Wests have always been a good option, as they were well built by Mirvac as their premium hotel chain prior to the sale to Accor. I wonder why Melbourne seems to have escaped the Sebel branding the others have be given?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.