Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Question Is photo ID currently needed for domestic flights? (BAEC card not deemed enough)

I've just had a rather odd experience at T5 first class checkin, on my way to Manchester. I'm following CWS best practice, and travelling HBO, but I didn't have easy access to a printer so approached the desks to get my online checkin boarding pass printed. Handed over my BAEC card, and asked if they'd mind printing the boarding pass for me

Agent: Certainly, BAxxx to Manchester, <tap tap tap>
Printer: Whirr spit
Agent: Do you have your passport with you?
Me: No, I'm off to Manchester
Agent: Yes, but can I see your passport please?
Me: I'm on a UK domestic flight, so no
Agent: I know, but I need to see your passport
Me: But Manchester is part of the UK, so I don't need a passport
Agent: I'm aware that Manchester is in England, but something has changed and I still need your passport

The agent went off an conferred with someone else, then came back and said she really needed some ID, even though I wasn't checking a bag, and even though she had my BAEC card. Since I figured they're very frazzled from the weekend's IT mess, I decided to just offer up my driving license and not fight it, which worked and resulted in me being handed the boarding pass for today + tomorrow's return, and wished a pleasant flight.

Have the rules changed for domestic flights though, or was the agent just confused after a doubtless hellish last two days in Heathrow?
Old May 29, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
They've always needed ID for domestic with me, usually I just use my driving license.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jday
They've always needed ID for domestic with me, usually I just use my driving license.
Yes but only if checking bag. If not you were never asked to show ID at any point.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Identification on UK domestic flights
If you are flying solely within the UK, including Northern Ireland, you do not need a passport but we advise that you carry photographic identification with you when travelling, such as your passport or driving licence. This may be requested at certain points in your journey. Children under the age of 16 years do not require identification to travel within the UK.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...assports_visas
Old May 29, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Even when checking a bag on domestic, I've never had to show ID. I simply just say travelling to London. I've always found it quite comical that nothing needs to be handed over to prove who I am.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
Even when checking a bag on domestic, I've never had to show ID. I simply just say travelling to London. I've always found it quite comical that nothing needs to be handed over to prove who I am.
Why? You are traveling in the Uk, both you and your bag will be screened.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:44 am

All you need is your booking reference or form of identification (e.g. credit/debit card, Executive Club card or passport).https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...NF3checking_in
Old May 29, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It is always wise to have photo ID in any event as when the facial recognition at T5 goes Tango Uniform they start to fall back upon demanding photo ID that most don't have with them.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It is always wise to have photo ID in any event as when the facial recognition at T5 goes Tango Uniform they start to fall back upon demanding photo ID that most don't have with them.
I agree, I always carry my passport if passing through an airport (even when flying domestic) just in case the biometrics fail.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
so approached the desks to get my online checkin boarding pass printed
Should have used one of those self-service kiosks, they aren't as fussy
Old May 29, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
It's not new..... see "Flying to Belfast from London - not a domestic flight?!"
Old May 29, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I've noticed this can vary quite considerably when I travel domestically, sometimes I walk the whole way through without an ID check, other times I do get asked for ID. Best advice is make sure you have something just in case.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:44 pm

Duplicate - how the heck did that happen
Old May 29, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Duplicate - how the heck did that happen
FT now running on BA IT Systems
Old May 29, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Only ever been asked when checking a bag.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.