Search

PHL-SFO to get A332 October 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
PHL-SFO to get A332 October 2017

Is this a misfile or for real?

PHL-SFO #625 appears to get an A332 as of Thursday Oct 5th? Competition with VX?
Attached Images  
Old May 29, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
It's for real.
Expect to start seeing this more often as well.
Nothing on the scale of what UA does, but certainly more domestic widebody usage than current flight patterns.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Makes sense as October is when the TA flights start to reduce in frequency. With spare widebody aircraft, routes like PHL-SFO make more sense than PHL-MCO and PHL-BOS.

I wonder if we'll see these on PHL-LAX as well.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by YtravelF
It's for real.
Expect to start seeing this more often as well.
Nothing on the scale of what UA does, but certainly more domestic widebody usage than current flight patterns.
^^
Old May 29, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by bridge29

Competition with VX?
What? VX is planning to start their SFO-PHX service again???!! That flight was my favorite entrance to the NE as as a lot of my business was in South Jersey and the Greater PHL region anyway... Never did like the flights in the NYC airports... Well, EWR started to grow on me with the VX service...

Would be tough choice to make for me... But I did AA a try for sure...
Old May 29, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
This always happens come autumn, since the TATL low season kicks in and A330s become available (as noted above). I've been on A330s between PHL/MCO, PHL/CLT, and PHL/SJU in the fall.

The service from SFO is a new twist; I hope they start running them to other destinations on Pacific Time from PHL when the aircraft become available off-season.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
SFO-PHL commands some of the highest fares and loads based on my past trips, especially compared with fares on SFO-JKF route. It only makes sense for them to add capacity, and provide flat beds across the Atlantic routes. I would be picking this route to go to MAD for my fall trip now, instead of dealing with LHR insanity.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Great to hear. Typically the 330s and 767s would hit the Caribbean in the fall and winter, with regular turns to STT, SXM, CUN, SJU, and PUJ from both PHL and CLT, with some cities (like SJU) seeing as many as 3 widebodies per day, with lots of 752s thrown in the mix, as well. With the mass retirement of the LAA 763s in Q3 and Q4, I'm not sure what the combined widebody fleet slack looks like in the off season this year, but transcon routes seem like a great use of these birds and their premium seating configs.

LUS used to regularly run the 762s from PHL, CLT, and even PIT mainly to LAX, but at times to SFO as well until around 2003. Post HP merger, PHL-PHX used to see 332/333 turns, with a 762 also used on CLT-PHX.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
What? VX is planning to start their SFO-PHX service again???!! That flight was my favorite entrance to the NE as as a lot of my business was in South Jersey and the Greater PHL region anyway... Never did like the flights in the NYC airports... Well, EWR started to grow on me with the VX service...

Would be tough choice to make for me... But I did AA a try for sure...
AS/VX restarts SFO-PHL August 31 (https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...m-the-Bay-Area)

UA goes 3x daily on SFO-PHL August 15 (http://newsroom.united.com/2017-05-0...8-Destinations)
Old May 30, 2017, 6:39 am

This past early spring, the 330 only lasted on PHL-BOS for a few weeks. There were 2 roundtrips with one 330 RON in BOS, which probably wasn't the best utilization.

It does not look like this utilization is great either. Arriving in SFO 6:45pm and not departing until ~8am the next day. Unless I'm missing another 330 into SFO.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver
Now there's a plane on which I would consider paying for F (or whatever we're calling domestic first class these days).

It just occurred to me today, though, that it doesn't have WiFi; I have definitely become accustomed to being able to work from the plane.

I wonder, though -- would the upgrade chances be better or worse than on the A321 on that route?

On one hand, there are more seats -- 20 vs. 16.

On the other hand, the premium cabin represents a lower percentage of the total seats -- 20/258 = ~7.8% vs. 16/187 = ~8.7%.

Thoughts?

- OM
Old May 31, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Makes sense as October is when the TA flights start to reduce in frequency. With spare widebody aircraft, routes like PHL-SFO make more sense than PHL-MCO and PHL-BOS.

I wonder if we'll see these on PHL-LAX as well.
Yeah, it makes more sense than PHL-BOS. I had the pleasure to take that trip on the 332 with comp upgrade, but it sure seemed silly. Given that they have the slack in the widebody fleet, they should be using them on longer flights where it will be noticed.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ottermatic
Now there's a plane on which I would consider paying for F (or whatever we're calling domestic first class these days).

It just occurred to me today, though, that it doesn't have WiFi; I have definitely become accustomed to being able to work from the plane.

I wonder, though -- would the upgrade chances be better or worse than on the A321 on that route?

On one hand, there are more seats -- 20 vs. 16.

On the other hand, the premium cabin represents a lower percentage of the total seats -- 20/258 = ~7.8% vs. 16/187 = ~8.7%.

Thoughts?

- OM
The A330-200s now also have Wifi- they've been retrofitted in San Salvador over the past several months.

As to upgrade chances, I'd say they are slimmer on the A332- the extra 4 seats in J do not make up for the extra Y seating in back. I would imagine odds would be even worse on such a long flight like that, as more people would intentionally be booking that aircraft- both upfront by paying for it, and in the back in hopes of scoring on upgrade.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold
A330 phl-sfo question

deleted

Last edited by jock; Jun 7, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

PHL-SFO #625 appears to get an A332 as of Thursday Oct 5th? Competition with VX?
Nice to be able to get a flat bed, but the soft F service will still be poor on this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.